MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
DreamFighters.com Exclusive Interview with Mirko Crocop

DreamFighters.com: Mirko, thank you very much for taking to the time speak to me at DreamFighters.com
Mirko: You're welcome, thank you.

DreamFighters.com: How is training going? Who are you training with right now?
Mirko: Training is going good. I'm training with my team, along with Brazilian Marcio Corleta.

DreamFighters.com: You have pulled out of the grappling match at DREAM.4 because of an injury. Is this a serious injury ?
Mirko: It's nothing serious, for 21 July I will be 100% ready.

DreamFighters.com: Do you plan to ever do a graplling match ever again?
Mirko: Of course I would of liked to, I'll gladly be waiting for a call.

DreamFighters.com: Will you be fighting at DREAM.5 ?
Mirko: Yes, I will be fighting at DREAM.5

DreamFighters.com: Who will you be fighting at DREAM.5 ?
Mirko: The opponent is still not confirmed.

DreamFighters.com: After your fight at DREAM.5, who would you like to face at DREAM? There was a rumor you might fight Sergei kharitonov ? Is that true?
Mirko: I don't know, it's not up to me but that would be a very good fight and i would be glad to do it.

DreamFighters.com: Do you still plan on fighting Fedor emelianenko?
Mirko: Yes of course. Sooner or later

DreamFighters.com: Are you still planning a return to the UFC? Who would you like to fight in the UFC?
Mirko:Of course. The opponent is not important. I will fight anyone.

DreamFighters.com: Did you watch Goran Reljic's UFC debut? What did you think of his fight?
Mirko: No I was unable to watch his fight.

DreamFighters.com: Mirko, we at DreamFighters.com thank you for taking the time to answer a couple questions. We all wish you the best of luck.
Mirko: Thank you

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Global press-conferences in Japan and South Korea

On June, 3 and 5 Tokio and Seoul witnessed 2 big conferences dedicated to the new M-1 Global projects. Moreover issue on the Fedor-Randy fight were addressed.

M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelstein answered the questions of many invited journalists.

The main questions concerned of course 3 major projects: Fighting Fedor reality show, M-1 Challenge series of tournaments and an upcoming huge mega-event made possible due to conjunction between Affliction and M-1 Global whose fightcard is easily the best and the most stacked one in years.

Also the question regarding the decision of Vadim Finkelstein and Monte Cox to part ways was asked. That's what Vadim had to say on this:

"The thing is that we have different vision of developing MMA in general and our former joint organization in particular. Monte wanted to do things gradually, step by step, while we intend to risk and invest in it. Basically that's why we chose different paths. At the moment I and Sergey Matvienko are the heads of M-1 Global. We take the risk financing this global organization and we develop it as much as we can.

We still get along with Monte Cox and we'll keep collaborating in the future no matter what. Next year he intends to assemble a team for participating in the next M-1 Challenge season."

Undoubtedly everyone present was candidly interested in the possibility of still highly anticipated clash between Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture. Vadim: "We await until Randy wins his suit against the UFC whereafter we plan to arrange two bouts between him and Fedor: first to be held in the cage in the USA and the second at the ring in Japan."

Futher on it was announced that the M-1 Challenge Finale is going to be held at New Year's Eve at Saitama Super Arena. In addition to the final bouts of the winning M-1 Challenge teams Fedor Emelianenko will face off against an yet to be revealed opponent. It could become either one of the top-ten heavyweights signed for the July, 19 show or the winner of "Fighting Fedor" show.

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Challenge team for Japan

In a separate press conference at East 21 on Monday, Deep President Shigeru Saeki introduced the Japanese M-1 Challenge Team to the media and announced several matchups and structure details for events on the horizon.

July 17's event will feature France taking on America in the first grouping, while Japan and Holland will clash in a separate bracket.

Team Holland vs. Team Japan

Bogdan Cristea vs. Daisuke Nakamura

Mehemt Uygun vs. Ken Hamamura

Jason Jones vs. Yuta Watanabe

Kamil Uygun vs. Yuji Sakuragi

Jessie Gibbs vs. Katsuhisa Fujii

Team France vs. Team America

Samuel Judes vs. Keith Perrigon

Farouk Lakebir vs. Vince Ortiz

Karl Amoussou vs. Jason Bukish

Christian Mpumbu Ndjoku vs. Bryan Harper

Malick Ndiaye vs. James Jack

Feb 7, 2006
Fightcard M-1 Challenge 4 "Battle on Neva"

The complete list of fighters scheduled for the 4-th installment of the M-1 Challenge's "Battle on the Neva" was revealed today.
boxing fight

1 Nagiev Ilchin Russia VS Russia Vadim Sufianov 63,5

rating fights
2 Lisitsin Andrey Russia VS Belorussia Korchemnii Artur 90,0
3 Timonov Alexander Russia VS Russia Shkolniy Igor +93,0

main fights
4 Yuri Ivlev Russia VS Spain Carlos Valeri 70,0
5 Islam Karimov Russia VS Spain Juan Manuel Suárez 76,0
6 Ansar Chalangov Russia VS Spain Eulogio Fernández 84,0
7 Besike Gerinava Russia VS Spain Rafael Rodríguez 93,0
8 Ahmed Sultanov Russia VS Spain Rogent Lloret + 93,0

boxing fight
9 Maslov Maxim Russia VS Russia Levin Dmitry + 93,0

main fights
10 Mikhail Malutin Russia VS Finland Niko Puhakka 70,0
11 Erik Oganov Russia VS Finland Janne Tulirinta 76,0
12 Dmitry Samoilov Russia VS Finland Lucio Linhares 84,0
13 Mikhail Zayats Russia VS Finland Toni Valtonen 93,0
14 Kirill Sidel`nikov Russia VS Finland Jarno Nurminen + 93,0

superfights
15 Roman Zentsov Russia VS TBA + 93,0

Feb 7, 2006
UFC'S JACKSON AND GRIFFIN PASS NSAC DRUG TEST

Five fighters in and all clear.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission this year began out-of-competition testing for combat sports athletes. Thus far, as mixed martial artists go, five athletes have been tested outside of the day of their competition, and all five have come back clean.

The most recent mixed martial artists to be tested under the NSAC’s new drug testing program were Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder, and currently No. 1 ranked 205-pounder, Quinton Jackson and the July 5 challenger to his title, Forrest Griffin. Griffin is currently the No. 6 ranked light heavyweight in the world.

The two served as coaches on the current season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show. They will clash in the main event of UFC 86 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Jackson earned the UFC championship by defeating Chuck Liddell in the first round of their bout at UFC 71 then defended the belt from Dan Henderson in late 2007. Griffin earned his shot by defeating Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 76. Shogun was highly regarded as the No. 1 light heavyweight in the world at that point.

The other mixed martial artists that have been tested under the NSAC’s new out-of-competition process and returned negative results were current UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, and former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz.

The procedure includes testing both for performance enhancing substances and drugs of abuse.

Feb 7, 2006
Big John McCarthy on MMA rules and UFC vs. Affliction

Big John McCarthy has been involved in mixed martial arts since the beginning

He was one of the best referees in all of combat sports before retiring.

He has refereed some of the biggest fights in the sports history. He even helped come up with the unified rules for the sport.

I got a chance to chat with Big John after a taping of HDNet’s “Inside MMA” show.

Here’s what Big John had to say:

On the UFC scheduling a card with Anderson Silva going up to light-heavyweight to fight James Irvin on Spike TV on the same night as Affliction’s pay-per-view card on July 19:

“I mean, look at that fight. You got your middleweight champion (Anderson Silva), you’re moving up to light-heavyweight to fight James Irvin. What good does that do for him? I mean, (UFC president) Dana (White) feels … obviously he feels there is some competition there with Affliction. He wants to try to do something to damage Affliction. That’s why he is doing this. I look at it and it’s bad for the sport, it’s bad for the fans. There needs to be more than the one promotion.

“The UFC is the big one on the block. I would never say anything differently until anything really comes about. But to sit there and try to shove a show in on the same date to say come watch. It’s the same thing they did with the Chuck Liddell special (on Spike TV) the same night as the (EliteXC) fights on CBS. It’s like, come on. The sport is big enough to where there can be more than one. There needs to be more than one. The UFC has what 200 fighters signed or 250 fighters? You know what, there are a whole lot more fighters thana that in this world and they need jobs. So there needs to be the other promotions.

“Thank God, Affliction is doing what they are doing and putting together … honestly, I’m not saying it to say it, it is the best card with heavyweights that has ever been put together by any organization in, at least North America, and probably in the world ever. You’ve got three ex-UFC champions (Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett and Andre Arlovski). You’ve got the ex-PRIDE champion in Fedor (Emelianenko) and you have other guys. You have Matt Lindland, Vitor Belfort, Mike Whitehead against Renato ‘Babalu’ (Sobral). You’ve got some great fights there. It’s going to be a hell of a card. Go and watch the one live and TiVo the UFC show. That’s what I’m going to do. I will TiVo the UFC show.”

On the confusion of how the rules are interpreted from state to state, commission to commission and throughout the world:

“The problem is this, when you have what is the unified rules and the rules set that were brought up by that, and then you have people come into the sport, and they come in usually from a boxing background and the doctors and everything, and all of a sudden they want to change something. Well, if you have an official who sits there and says, ‘This is what I’ve heard and we’re going to start and change it.’ You can’t do that. There are ways that they want to change it, then there are ways of doing that.

“If it was in California, then (California State Athletic Commission executive officer) Armando Garcia would have to take it in front of his commission, have a commission vote on it, they pass it and then they make it a rule in California. This is what you have as far as an illegal elbow or an illegal knee strike or whatever. But it has to be changed that way. It cannot be where you have a doctor that sits there and says, ‘This the I way I say it should be.’ And then we have officials that start to follow it because it hasn’t been changed in the rules. That means I’m going to have one official doing it one way and I’m going to have other officials doing it another way, which causes confusion.

“There can’t be their own interpretations. It has to be very clearly defined. This is what is allowed. This is the illegal area. And this is what you are allowed to do. Once it’s defined that way, you can’t have separate states trying to do separate things because then each state is coming up with its own set of rules. That way when, especially when you take officials like Steve Mazzagatti, Herb Dean and myself when I was doing it, and you start to move from state to state and the rules start changing. You are doing one thing in one state one way, and then you are going to do another thing in another state. The fans are going to say he did it this way there and he did it that way there. They are not going to know the difference and it causes confusion. It has to be uniformed everywhere that it goes. That way there is less confusion for the fans, the fighters and the officials.”

On dealing with boxing officials who still look down on MMA:

“When I go out there in Montreal (in July) that’s the comissions and the people that run the commissions. It’s hard for people to … everyone wants to feel like they are the person that knows, they are the person that is an authority on something, they are an expert on something. When you take a commission, they are usually good people to work with, but they don’t want somebody outside their commission that knows more than them. So a lot of times they will fight against things because they don’t understand it. And a lot of them, they don’t understand MMA.

“They continually try to take boxing and MMA, and they try to take MMA as a square peg and stick it into the round hole of boxing. It doesn’t work. You can’t do that. It’s two separate entities. You have commissions like New Jersey and they have separate people working separate things. They have people for boxing and they have people for MMA. There is no crossover and there should never be.

“I’ve said it for a long time, if you are an inspector for boxing you don’t work MMA. There are different things that you are allowed to do in boxing that you are allowed to do in MMA. In the pre-fight stuff, as far as taping hands, where vaseline is allowed to go, all these things. When you start to cross them over, you start to have problems. Commissions are trying to do the right thing. It’s just, there are egos involved. And they all want to say that they did something and they are a part of something.

“There are a lot of people looking at MMA and they still don’t like it. I hgear people say all the time, ‘You can’t tell me that MMA is safer than boxing.’ It’s like, ‘Do you want me to show you the stats? You are just saying something to say it.’ The truth is, yes, it is safer. It’s safer because of options. It’s safer because fighters are allowed to do more things than just punch someone to the head or body. And they don’t take all the shots that a boxer does.

“That’s saying nothing about boxing. I love boxing. You take the skillset of a boxer and they are incredible, but they work in boxing. It’s the same as you listen to (HBO boxing announcer) Jim Lampley talk about MMA fighters have nowhere near the technical skills or hands that a boxer has. No, they just can’t do the same things because they don’t work in MMA like they work in boxing. I can do shoulder rolls and all kinds of feints in boxing because someone can’t come in and take me down and it’s going to work for me. It’s not going to work for me in MMA, so I’m not going to do it. You listen to some people talk about stuff and Ii don’t want to say you are ignorant about it, but you have a perception and your perception is absolutely wrong and you need to be educated about what the real facts are.”

Feb 7, 2006
Riggs Replaces Carter at Strikeforce

Extroverted welterweight Shonie Carter (Pictures) has withdrawn from a co-featured bout against Luke Stewart (Pictures) at Strikeforce "Melendez vs. Thomson" on June 27 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Strikeforce middleweight Joe Riggs (Pictures) has agreed to step into the vacant slot on a week's notice. The bout will be contested at a catch-weight of 178 pounds, confirmed Strikeforce representative Mike Afromowitz.

Carter told Sherdog.com that he shattered a knuckle in his hand while training and was fearful he wouldn't pass the California State Athletic Commission's physical examination next week to proceed with the bout.

One of the more seasoned figures of the game, the 36-year-old Carter has clocked in over 60 MMA bouts to his name, which includes six UFC appearances and two recent victories in the WFC and the Palace Fighting Championship.

One-time UFC welterweight contender Riggs made waves last September with a dominating performance over Eugene Jackson (Pictures) at Strikeforce's star-studded event at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles.

A feared competitor for his knockout hands and powerful ground-and-pound warfare, "Diesel" was temporarily derailed by Cory Devela (Pictures), when the Washington native threw Riggs onto his back at "Strikeforce at the Dome" last February. Riggs, who had previously undergone back surgery, was forced to tap out on impact. Riggs underwent a second surgery that month to repair spinal cord damage.

Stewart has been touted as one of the more promising up-and-comers in the Strikeforce stable. After cinching five bouts in a row, the San Francisco jiu-jitsu stylist was finally stopped by Tiki Ghosn (Pictures) via decision at Strikeforce's "Shamrock vs. Le" event last March.

In the main event, Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (Pictures) will defend his title against revered American Kickboxing Academy product Josh Thomson (Pictures).

Feb 7, 2006
Johnny Rees vs. Nate Loughran at UFC Fight Night 14

Johnny Rees (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Nate Loughran (8-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), two UFC newcomers with a combined 18 stoppage victories in 18 career fights, will meet at UFC Fight Night 14.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the July 19 bout with Rees' management.

The fight takes place at the The Palms Las Vegas and airs live on Spike TV.

Rees, a veteran of the Indiana-based Legends of Fighting and United Fight League organizations, turned pro in October 2005 and has reeled off 10 consecutive victories -- eight via submission and seven in the first round. He'll now fight for the first time since a November 2007 victory over Jeremy Wingler (7-3) at LOF 22.

Loughran, a veteran of Gladiator Challenge and Palace Fighting Championship, has posted eight consecutive victories -- seven via submission and six in the first round. In his most recent fight, he picked up the PFC middleweight title with a second-round submission victory over Kenny Ento (9-4).

"The winner of the fight will be the fans," said Ken Pavia, Rees' agent. "Between the two of them, they are 18-0 with 18 definitive finishes. (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva did a great job with this fight. I am excited for Johnny because a win over Nate really puts him on the map and puts him closer to his dream of wearing a UFC strap. The kid is legit."

Rees and Loughran are the latest UFC newcomers added to the July 19 card. MMAjunkie.com previously reported that Reese Andy, Brad Blackburn and James Giboo will also make their UFC debuts at UFC Fight Night 14, an event that was quickly put together to counter "Affliction: Banned." The debut show for Affliction also takes place July 19 and features a main event between former PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC title-holder Tim Sylvia.

Feb 7, 2006
Newcomers Shannon Gugherty and Dale Hartt to meet at UFC Fight Night 14

Two more UFC newcomers have been scheduled to fight at next month's UFC Fight Night 14 event.

Lightweight fighters Shannon Gugherty (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Dale Hartt (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) have agreed to meet in an undercard bout at the July 19 event. A source from Gugherty's camp alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the bout, though Hartt's agent, Ken Pavia, could neither confirm nor deny the fight.

UFC Fight Night 14 takes place at The Palms Las Vegas and airs live on Spike TV.

Gugherty, a longtime veteran of the Total Combat organization, fights out of San Diego with City Boxing. He's currently riding a six-fight win streak, which includes six stoppages (four of which came in the first round).

Gugherty kickstarted his career with a victory over WEC contender Cub Swanson, and in his most recent fight, he delivered Johnny Torres (5-1) his first career loss.

Hartt, who's competed recently for Full Force Productions in Massachusetts, trains under UFC welterweight Marcus Davis in Maine. The 29-year-old is a perfect 5-0 with five stoppages since turning pro in 2004.

UFC Fight Night 14, which was officially announced just this week, will go head-to-head with Affliction's debut card. "Affliction: Banned," which features a star-studded lineup with headliners Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia, kicks off on FSN before jumping to pay per view for the night's main card.

Gugherty and Hartt join a number of other UFC newcomers tentatively scheduled for the July 19 event, including Johnny Rees, Nate Loughran, Reese Andy, Brad Blackburn and James Giboo.

Feb 7, 2006
REDEMPTION FOR DOLLAWAY AT TUF FINALE?

Rarely does opportunity knock twice, but when C.B. Dollaway steps into The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale on Saturday night, he will have a chance to redeem himself from a loss he suffered during the filming of the show that should have kept him from being the champion of season seven.

Not only that, but his opponent in the fight, Amir Sadollah, is the exact fighter that eliminated him from the show in the first place.

Dollaway’s chance to fight Sadollah a second time came at the expense of former finalist, Jesse Taylor, who was tossed off of the show by UFC president Dana White after a drunken tirade led him to a disturbing occurrence at the Palace Station Casino in Las Vegas after the show’s filming was finished.

“When I found out I had a second chance it was pretty much the best news I could hear in my life, you know?” Dollaway stated about the news that he was being brought back after the season for another fight. “Second chance at the biggest thing, the biggest opportunity in my life, and it wasn’t really hard to get back in the groove. I just wanted to try to get back in contention for that contract.”

As the season ended, Dollaway walked away from the seventh season of the show dealing with a loss he suffered to Sadollah, but the Arizona based fighter looks back and understands the mistakes he made.

“I don’t think I performed to the best of my abilities,” he commented on the fight. “I think conditioning was a pretty big factor, and I think that may have been one of the biggest factors of the fight.”

After a solid performance in the first two rounds, Dollaway was caught by an armbar in the third round, at the time ending his chances at being in the finals.

“It’s a pretty big shock to me. I had actually underestimated his ground game, thought that there was no way he’d submit me, and then low and behold he submits me,” he commented on the loss. “I thought if I was going to lose that fight it would probably be like catching a knee on the way in or something along those lines. Never in a million years did I think I’d lose the way I did.”

Dollaway came back and had a tough fight with fellow semifinalist Tim Credeur, winning by unanimous decision and now moving on to a rematch with Sadollah.

The experience against his opponent can only play to his favor, and while he sounded appreciative of the experience to be on the show, his training may have actually suffered as result of his time there.

“Not really going to give a lot of credit,” said Dollaway about his team of trainers on the show. “I’d give more credit to my home camp, Arizona Combat Sports. They’re the ones who have trained me all the way through to where I am now. Actually, it possibly felt like being on the show, for me, kind of maybe lost a step. Towards the end it didn’t really have any training partners, most guys were hurt or they just weren’t training at all, so it’s kind of hard to give the credit out.”

Spending the last eight weeks back at home in Arizona with his team and training partners, who include former Arizona State wrestler Ryan Bader, WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner, and even former housemate Matt Riddle, Dollaway is focused and plans on using his experience against Sadollah as a learning tool for the rematch.

“Just going in there knowing what kind of fighter Amir is, knowing that he’s not going to give up, and knowing I’m probably going to have to fight him to the bitter end,” he said. “No letting up and you’ve just got to be prepared for a 15 minute war.”

Feb 7, 2006
Brock Lesnar training jiu-jitsu with Rodrigo Comprido for UFC 87 Heath Herring fight

“It is not enough that Brock Lesnar is a freak of nature with a physique that few can match, and have top trainers around like Greg Nelson (Black Belt under Pedro Sauer) & Marty Morgan (University of Minnesota Wrestling Coach). Noooo, Lesnar is taking his MMA training so seriously that he contracted multiple times BJJ World Absolute Champion Rodrigo “Comprido” to add to his preparation team. Comprido is spending time at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, adding his personal touch to Lesnar’s training as he prepares to fight in UFC 87 against Heath Herring. Comprido’s MMA training is in high demand especially coming off a super-successfull participation of his TEAM FLOMMA in the Adrenalin show.”

Former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar-turned mixed martial artist, Brock Lesnar, has enlisted the services of seven-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Rodrigo “Comprido” Medeiros for his upcoming fight with Heath Herring at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on August 9. Lesnar lost his Octagon debut to Frank Mir via first round submission (kneebar) at UFC 81: “Breaking Point” earlier this year.

Feb 7, 2006
5 Oz. Exclusive: Rory Markhan signs with the UFC; could debut at UFN 14 vs. Brodie Farber

A source speaking on the condition of anonymity has confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the UFC has signed former IFL welterweight fighter Rory Markham.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed and the UFC has yet to officially announce the signing.

Markham, who trains out of Miletich Fighting Systems in Davenport, Iowa, is 14-4 according to Sherdog.com’s fight finder. One of the hardest punchers at 170 pounds, Markham accumulated an impressive 7-2 overall record while with the IFL. He holds notable wins over Mike Pyle, Brad Blackburn, Keith Wisniewski, and Pat Healy.

Markham fought and won last weekend during Adrenaline MMA’s inaugural card, where he submitted Jay Ellis with a triangle choke at 1:57 of round 1.

Despite having just fought, there are tentative plans for Markham to make his UFC debut on July 19 at UFC Fight Night 14. His likely opponent is expected to be Brodie Farber, a veteran who has been fighting primarily in Mexico as of late for the MMA Extreme promotion.

Markham joins Brad Blackburn and Reese Andy as former IFL fighters that are expected to debut for the UFC at UFC Fight Night 14.

Feb 7, 2006
BloodyElbow Exclusive: Interview With WAMMA CEO Dave Szady and COO Michael Lynch

BB: Why don't we start by giving you a chance to explain what the goal of WAMMA is.

DS: The world alliance of mixed martial arts or WAMMA is a corporate organization it has angel backers it is a for profit organization. It is a multi-faceted organization, it is more than a sanctioning body. It is very fan and fighter forward looking. Part of what we do, of course, is sanction world championship bouts and those bouts are based on the independent, totally objective WAMMA rankings that are done by 20 members of the MMA media, with no influence from any promoter or WAMMA itself. We are also very fighter forward looking. For example, Randy Couture and Pat Miletich are going to co-chair a fighter advisory board for WAMMA to take on such issues as fighter health care, fighter pensions, and other concerns that fighters may have for themselves. Our goal is to act as an overarching organization across promotional lines for the best interest of the fighters and forward looking for the fans by giving them the best fights they can see that will produce a true world champion.

ML: I would just add and reiterate that WAMMA is much more than a mere sanctioning body. Our long term goal is to invest back into the sport of MMA by contributions such as a fighter pension fund, insurance programs for fighters, a financial education seminar for fighters, referee and judge training and an investment in amateur MMA with the goal of having MMA or some other MMA hybrid eventually recognized as an Olympic sport.

Follow after the fold for the full interview:

BB: Allow me to apologize in advance, this interview is going to focus primarily as WAMMA as a sanctioning body.

DS: That’s fine; the only thing I want to emphasize is that it is more than that. Most of the criticism we get is from people who look at WAMMA as a sanctioning body modeled after sanctioning bodies within boxing and that is exactly the model that we didn’t want to re-create. We wanted to take what was good from boxing but at the same time change the so called sanctioning body concept as it existed in boxing.

BB: Are you going to be requiring sanctioning fees for title fights from either fighters or promotions?

DS: No. We are not taking any sanctioning fee from a promoter nor are we taking any percentage of a purse from a fighter. Our business model and our revenue stream come strictly from our sponsors for the WAMMA belt or for sponsoring the events themselves along with the promoters.

ML: That is worth reiterating, WAMMA is in no way charging a sanctioning fee from the Affliction promotion nor are we asking for a percentage of the fighter’s purses. As Dave said we truly are trying to emulate the best aspects of boxing’s sanctioning bodies while eliminating all the aspects of sanctioning bodies that we find in boxing that will be a detriment to the sport.

BB: Great news. Something you just hit on with Affliction. Is WAMMA initially only going to be affiliated with Affliction? Or is it going to be whatever match-ups represent the spirit of what you’re trying to do?

DS: It’s the latter. We are not associated with any individual promotional group. What we will do is sanction bouts cross boundaries of promotional groups. No matter what promotion that is. We’ve talked to them all and most of them have been very cooperative and very willing to listen and to understand the concept and to put it in practice. So Adrenaline, Affliction, HDNet, Strikeforce all are committed to having WAMMA Champions across promotional lines. We’ve talked to EliteXC also and they are in favor of the concept, they support it but have a couple issues. But it is nothing that we can’t work out. And of course the big issue is the UFC, we have the utmost respect for all that they have done in the sport and we hope that one day they will recognize the value of having cross promotional champions and producing WORLD champions and not just promotional champions.

ML: I would add to that that we at WAMMA have nothing but admiration for the UFC. The incredible gains that the sport of MMA has garnered essentially under their leadership as the dominant MMA brand. However, just take a look at the sport right now and it is very different than it was five years ago, the sport is rapidly expanding with the addition of forward looking promotions such as Affliction, HDNet Fights, Adrenaline, Strikeforce, EXC and we truly believe that the future of the sport lies in cross-promotion.

BB: How severely does it hamper WAMMA should the UFC, DREAM in Japan or any of the other “major promotions” are unwilling to embrace the concept?

DS: Well it certainly has an impact, there is no doubt about that. I’ll let Mike take most of this question but obviously most of the middleweights in the WAMMA rankings are coming from the UFC. Yet the UFC is unwilling to allow their fighters to fight members of other promotional groups and that presents a problem. We don’t see any problem getting WAMMA world championship bouts in the heavyweight division or even looking at a lot of the light weight divisions including fighters in Japan. But we would like to see the UFC come on board and allow their fighters to fight. Also it’s an inter-promotional championship concept too because you could have two fighters from within the same promotional group fighting for the WAMMA world championship as would happen with several of those middleweight divisions.

ML: Yeah Brent, I would add that this goes to some questions about WAMMA’s ranking system. There have been some allegations that somehow the WAMMA rankings are prejudiced against the UFC. This myth could easily be dispelled by just simply taking a look at the WAMMA rankings. With the sole exception of the heavyweight division Zuffa fighters dominate the rankings in practically every other weight division. In some months UFC and WEC fighters have comprised 1-10 in an entire division. And that kind of goes back to your question of what is WAMMA to do when, for example, Zuffa fighters control the top rankings in a weight division? Clearly what we will attempt to do is look within our rankings to find fighters in other promotions who are cooperative with WAMMA and stage WAMMA title fights but these have to be, of course, ranked fighters by our objective and independent ranking board. It is the hope that as more of these championship fights take place that the UFC will jump on board with the idea of an undisputed and unified champion. And remember, we’re not here to end promotional champions, just to add the top tier beyond promotional lines.

BB: Someone like Dana White has to look at the UFC as having a death-grip on the casual fan image of what MMA is right now. How are you trying to sell WAMMA to the UFC that this is important and there is something beyond their own championship? What is the benefit to them?

DS: I think that is a great question. First of all we usually answer that by saying that we’re not promoters, we don’t ever want to be promoters and we don’t ever want to own fighters so we’re not a threat to any promotional group from that perspective. What I think is that the sport has been taken to a certain level, the UFC has been primarily responsible for that. But now from a business perspective, looking forward as to where this sport goes for it’s legitimacy and for it’s longevity I think the fans are demanding that there be a true world champion in each one of the weight divisions and not just promotional champions, although those can still exist. And I think what is happening within the sport from a business perspective is that corporate America is becoming involved like Donald Trump. What this does is add a very strong business competitive environment within MMA which I think is good for MMA in the long-run. Having one major promotional group may not necessarily be so. If you have other strong promotional groups it is certainly going to advance the fighters and what they can get out of the sport, it’s going to give more to the fans, and eventually it will give them the type of champion that they are looking for.

BB: I can see certain ways where it would benefit the UFC. Such as the light heavyweight division (where currently 1-10 are all Zuffa fighters)…

DS: Right, and they would be the sole promoter of any WAMMA title bout if their two fighters were the ones fighting for it. They look at it, I imagine, in that their business model has worked and they are the dominant force with many of the best fighters. But I think in this modern business era as corporate America starts to get involved as sponsors or other major promoters come into the arena and have the type of money that UFC does and can compete you have to look at your business model and say “we don’t necessarily need to be totally cooperative but at the same time a world championship or world champion makes sense and that may require a cross-promotional fight” and that it is in their best interest to do that. I suppose they would have an argument on the other side saying that the UFC champion IS the world champion, which makes sense only if there is one promotional group called the UFC. If there are other very competitive groups you eventually could have fighters leaving one promotional group and going to another, particularly if they want to fight for the WAMMA championship. And what we’re finding with all fighters, including UFC fighters, is that they would all like to fight for a world championship belt.

BB: What complications are there from the fact that the “unified rules” aren’t used by all promotions? For example the IFL restricts elbows to the head, knees to the head of a grounded opponent are allowed in Japan, etc. How do different rulesets affect the fights in regards to WAMMA?

ML: As to rules within various promotions WAMMA is flexible in that regard. I do want to point out, however, that although it is one of the goals of WAMMA to strongly push for unified rules applying to all MMA promotions, we believe that if the fighters and the promotions can work out their differences we are not the promoters. And if those groups can agree on a set of rules WAMMA should not be there to impose an additional set of regulations.

BB: If you feel that the fight is between two fighters deserving of a world championship fight…as long as the rules are agreed on by the fighters and the promotions involved you are willing to sanction that bout?

DS: That is correct.

BB: I’d like to move on to the big news that came out of Fedor vs. Sylvia being for the WAMMA heavyweight title at the Affliction PPV. These are questions that are coming from our readers. How was it determined that these two fighters represent the top two contenders for the WAMMA title?

ML: First and foremost I truly believe that Fedor vs. Tim Sylvia absolutely represents an undisputed championship fight. Fedor is ranked number one not only in WAMMA’s rankings but in the vast majority of rankings throughout the sport. As everyone knows the UFC champion Nogueira can not fight for a WAMMA championship because the UFC is not cooperating with WAMMA at this juncture and Randy Couture’s legal problems prohibit him at this juncture from fighting outside of the UFC. Just today the new June rankings came out and Josh Barnett has taken over the fourth spot previously held by Tim Sylvia. The reason why we do not have a Barnett/Fedor card is because Josh was previously committed to fight on the Affliction: Banned card before we completed negotiations with the promotion and Tim Sylvia was ranked forth so it was a natural undisputed, unified championship fight. Back to Fedor there have been some questions as to why Fedor remains in the number one position and I would argue, even though I don’t participate in our ranking board, that he is clearly fought the very best each and every time. He has dominated Nogueira on several occasions and I certainly think he has been triumphant against the very best that the sport has to offer and is almost universally regarded as an MMA machine. As to Tim Sylvia I would talk about that Sylvia has been actively fighting each and every opponent placed in front of him and even in his losses he has been extremely competitive with the very best in the sport. So just to reiterate we certainly think that this truly is an undisputed championship title fight and we’re proud to be associated with those two fighters.

DS: Obviously you’d always like to have the number one and number two fighters go at it. But with Randy’s legal problems we could sanction it but he wouldn’t be able to fight. And with Nogueira not being able to fight due to the UFC it went to Sylvia who at the time was the forth ranked heavyweight fighter and is still in the top five. And we still think that it makes a championship fight. And the defense of it of course will go to whoever is ranked and capable of fighting after this particular fight.

BB: So there is no real issue in WAMMA’s eyes with Tim Sylvia being 1-2 in his last few fights and the fact that Fedor hasn’t fought a top level heavyweight since…we’ll say August of ’05. I personally can see Fedor being involved but a lot of people are questioning how someone who is 1-2 can be in an “undisputed” world title fight. I understand the concept of him being in the top 5 but…

DS: Well certainly everyone, including WAMMA would have loved to have seen a Couture/Fedor fight. And maybe down the road if Randy can get his legal problems behind him that fight would take place. WAMMA would always want the highest ranked fighters to be involved. We will expect a defense of the title within one years time.

ML: Let me just follow up on Fedor’s record. In my mind some of the criticism of Fedor is that he hasn’t consistently fought the very best in each and every one of his fights. In my mind it is inconceivable that a fighter must face his most fearsome competition each and every time he steps into the ring or the cage. And I want to use this as an example, Anderson Silva is now going to be fighting outside of his title weight division to do battle with James Irvin and no one is going to say that it isn’t a meaningful fight but certainly it isn’t one where his title would be on the line. But everyone is going to watch that fight and enjoy that fight. And as for title defenses WAMMA will institute a time period in which the winner of Fedor/Sylvia will have to face a ranked WAMMA opponent to maintain their belt status.

BB: That was where I wanted to go next. Your website says that you are trying to establish quality competition in MMA with your champions defending against qualified opponents. So were Fedor to win the title he would be expected to, within a year timeframe, defend against a legitimate opponent and if not he would be stripped?

DS: Yes, in fact in negotiations with the Russians in order to have them agree to have Fedor first fight for the belt and second accept the belt and third keep the belt as sort of a promotion, the question from the Russians was “What if he doesn’t defend it?” and the answer was that if he doesn’t defend it within a reasonable amount of time, meaning six months to one year he would be stripped of that title. You always want to try to get the number one and two fighting but it becomes a matter of if people can fight or will fight.

BB: I just wanted to give you guys a few moments to cover any other stuff that is important to you before we go.

ML: If I could I wouldn’t mind using this as a forum to kind of dispel a lot of the rumors I’ve read about WAMMA on the MMA forums. One of the things I’ve been hearing about WAMMA is the sanctioning fees and taxing of fighters purses which of course we have said we will not be doing. The other thing is the idea that we are trying to do away with promotional champions and that is simply not the case. There is also the alphabet soup argument against WAMMA. Right now there are a multitude of promotional champions in the sport and in my mind the sport of MMA has an alphabet soup problem that far surpasses any that exist in boxing. For example, even small promotions that only attract three to five hundred fans regularly award championship and even world championship titles at their fights. Now I’m not knocking these promotions in any way and I’m not diminishing the value of promotional champions because even the small regional organizations help generate interest in the sport. And since many of these organizations depend heavily on gate receipts in their business model having a promotional championship at stake on a fight card naturally adds value and allure to an event. However, the alphabet soup of having all these promotional champions already exists and it is more confusing for the fans and the fighters than boxing’s scenario has ever been. WAMMA seeks to be the one true champion that crosses promotional lines. We are not contributing to an alphabet soup, it is actually doing the reverse.

DS: And then the other issue or criticism was, what is to prevent other sanctioning bodies from coming into the picture and confusing the issue. And the answer is, nothing except the acceptance of the promoters to have WAMMA be the one true sanctioning and ranking body and the promoters say “we don’t need multiple sanctioning bodies” and WAMMA is more than that WAMMA is a multi-faceted MMA alliance. We recognize them as that bridge across promotional lines and we don’t need five organizations like that.

BB: So you aren’t entirely worried about the potential success of Fedor/Sylvia leading people to seeing a “one world champion” and then saying “I’m going to start BAMMA now.” That isn’t a big concern for you?

DS: Well no, from a competitive angle there is nothing to say that can’t happen. This is America and anybody can form a business and be competitive. But what we hope would prevent that is that we were out first and as I’ve said before “the firstest with the mostest” that is recognized by the MMA world itself as a sanctioning body so that we don’t get into this mix of sanctioning bodies which the UFC does talk about as a criticism and I agree with that. You wouldn’t want to have multiple sanctioning bodies and multiple champions within the sanctioning arena like we now have within the promotions. Again, we support the champions within the promotions but look forward to a one WAMMA world champion. We would hope that what we offered across the board is sufficient for the MMA world to accept us as totally transparent and one of integrity. One of the reasons I came to be the CEO after 33 years with the FBI was in order to bring that face of integrity, to create transparency within the MMA world and to create and add to the legitimacy and to help with the longevity of the sport. I think that is what we bring to the table and is what puts us out in front and may create the atmosphere where only one organization is necessary.

BB: Anything else you guys wanted to address? Any further myths to dispel?

ML: There has been a lot of chat on the internet as well about our rankings and I do want to set the record straight about how our rankings are comprised. First off, WAMMA is very proud of our rankings. We think they are the gold standard of the sport. WAMMA, Dave Szady, and myself have no role in those rankings whatsoever. The ranking committee itself consists of 20 well known and established journalists and I would say industry insiders. We have no influence on these rankings although I do sit on the ranking committee myself I have no vote I am merely an administrator. When we look at rankings here there has been some rumors that we only rank fighters within cooperative promotions and that of course is not the case. We rank throughout promotional lines. All of these things could easily be addressed if people simply took a look at the rankings and you can see that Zuffa fighters dominate most divisions even though they are not cooperative at this time.

BB: One other thing that I’ve heard a few rumblings of…are the voting members given a blank ballot or are they given a list of, say, 15 fighter and told “rank these fighters?”

DS: Blank ballot.

ML: They have a blank ballot. It is completely within the pollster’s decision making who they are going to place 1-10 100%. WAMMA has no influence whatsoever over which fighters are ranked.

DS: And the fighters love it. Especially if you come from a smaller promotion. Because you could eventually be recognized, establish a fanbase and eventually through your fights move up these rankings. That is one other point we’d like to make also is that we’re hoping to make the fighter become the face of MMA, not necessarily the promotions itself so that fighters can have promotional opportunities and contracts as say NFL football players do. They could have their own contract, their own promotional push and could individually become the face of MMA as well as the promotional organization.

BB: Well that is all the time we have. Thank you for your time.

ML: We do appreciate the opportunity. It somewhat pains me at times to see all the things that are written about WAMMA and I do appreciate having the opportunity to speak with you and kind of dispel some of those myths. We’re really excited about that Affliction card, I think it is a fan’s dream and for WAMMA’s coming out party with that inaugural champion to be on possibly the single best fight card every put together.

Feb 7, 2006
TUF 7 - Week 12 Rating

MMAPayout.com has learned that the ninety minute season finale of the Ultimate Fighter on Spike drew a 1.24 rating (1.7 million viewers). The program drew quarter hours of 1.2, 1.22, 1.14, 1.28, 1.28, and 1.34. The key demographic numbers were a a 1.77 in M18-34 and a 1.56 in M18-49. The M18-49 number made it the most watched show in its time slot on basic cable in that demographic.

Feb 7, 2006
SPENCER FISHER: " I THINK WE'RE JUST GOING TO STAND AND BANG!"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2901.html?PHPSESSID=399f28c57206ef91c61e73bde0bde811
"I'm just going to go out there and fight, let the chips fall where they do and whatever happens, happens. I'm a fighter's fighter. I'm not one to be making gameplans. I know what I like to do; I like to stand, but who knows? It's a fight and anything can happen," stated UFC lightweight contender Spencer Fisher as he talked about his fight Jeremy Stephens tomorrow night during The Ultimate Fighter Finale. Check out what else he had to say about Stephens, the fight, the accident he got into this week and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Broken arm puts ‘Saku' on the shelf, Gono's hand heals

After a brutal, crushing defeat, MMA icon Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) has more than just injured pride.

At last Sunday's Dream card in Yokohama, Sakuraba was demolished in 90 seconds in his Dream middleweight grand prix quarterfinal against Dutch powder keg Melvin Manhoef (Pictures). Following the bout, Dream event producer Keiichi Sasahara revealed that Sakuraba sustained a broken ulna in his left arm, the result of attempting to block a Manhoef high kick.

Sasahara said that it was originally his hope to have Sakuraba back in the ring by September, a goal that's obviously unrealistic due to the broken arm. However, Sasahara refuted all talk of potential retirement for the "IQ Wrestler," stating that Sakuraba would be in the ring as soon as he's recovered, and that if nothing else, he would fight on the most important night of the year for Japanese MMA -- New Year's Eve.

In significantly more positive news, Akihiro Gono (Pictures) is ready to get back into the swing of things in the gym after spending the last few months on the shelf due to a hand injury.

The colorful Japanese veteran, who made a successful Octagon debut last November against Tamden McCrory, was forced to pull out of a slated March bout with soon-to-be welterweight title challenger Jon Fitch (Pictures) after sustaining a broken right hand against McCrory. Gono had agreed to the Fitch bout and resumed training before it was discovered that the persistent pain in his right hand was the result of a break.

Since his hand surgery in February, Gono has focused largely on his conditioning, allowing his hand time to fully heal. Aiming for a return in the early autumn, Gono has consulted with several doctors who have given him the green light to resume pro training in the gym. After gradually easing back in, Gono hopes to have his hand reexamined before he jumps back into full training.

The 33-year-old Grabaka star has a history of hand problems. He first broke his right hand in his December 2001 bout with Yuki Kondo (Pictures), and he broke his left hand nine months later against Osami Shibuya (Pictures). With nearly 50 professional bouts in his 14-year career, Gono was advised to be particularly careful in recovering from his hand injury, as re-breaking it before it's fully healed could have spelled the end of his career.

Feb 7, 2006
Hioki to meet Nakamura in August Nagoya homecoming

One of the featherweight division's finest will be back in the ring this August, when Hatsu Hioki (Pictures) makes another Nagoya homecoming.

The preeminent headliner of the Shooto Gig Central cards promoted by his gym Alive, Hioki will take on Hiroshi "Iron" Nakamura in the main event of the fifteenth installment of Gig Central at Zepp Nagoya on Aug. 3.

Hioki will be looking to continue a thus-far successful 2008 after a woefully disappointing '07 campaign. After a May 2007 split decision loss to Antonio Carvalho (Pictures), Hioki made another Nagoya homecoming last October where he was upset by rugged South Korean Jong Man Kim in a miserable performance. Since his back-to-back setbacks, the 24-year-old Hioki has won three straight, including blowout victories over veterans Katsuya Toida (Pictures) and Baret Yoshida (Pictures) earlier this year. Hioki was supposed to meet Shooto icon Rumina Sato (Pictures) in May, however, after tweaking his knee in his destruction of Yoshida, his spot was taken by former Shooto world champ Akitoshi Tamura (Pictures).

Undefeated in his last five, Nakamura is coming off of the biggest win of his career, taking a majority decision over Tenkei Fujimiya (Pictures) in March. Undefeated in his last five, the Noboru Asahi student has shown marked improvement over his last several bouts, leading to his Class A Shooto promotion.

Also scheduled for the card, Takahiro Kajita (Pictures) will meet Komei Okada (Pictures), Takeshi Okada (Pictures) will face Akira Kibe (Pictures), Kenichi Hattori (Pictures) rematches Hisaki "Kotobukimaru" Hiraishi, Keisuke Kurata squares off with Hiroshi Sakamoto (Pictures), and Kenya Kato (Pictures) does battle with Teppei "Bull" Masuda.

In rookie tournament action on the bill, prohibitive tournament favorite Takesuke Kume (Pictures) faces Yoichiro Sato in a 168-pound semifinal, Yukinari "Hibiki" Tamura meets Kunio Nakajima (Pictures) in a 154-pound quarterfinal, Yasuaki "Aki" Nagamoto tangles with Keita Yoshida in a 132-pound quarterfinal, and in 115-pound quarterfinal action, Hiroyuki "Ron" Kondo squares off with Masatomi Yamagami.