MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Buentello-Emelianenko Set for Affliction; Rogerio Nogueira Signed

Aleksander Emelianenko (Pictures) will fight Paul Buentello (Pictures) at Affliction's debut event July 19 in Anaheim, Calif., the promotion announced Tuesday.

Emelianenko, the younger brother of Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), has won four straight bouts. He holds a record of 13-3, with wins over Sergei Kharitonov (Pictures), Assuerio Silva (Pictures) and Pawel Nastula (Pictures).

Buentello, 25-10, had also won four straight before Alistair Overeem (Pictures) defeated him in Strikeforce last November.

Affliction also announced the signing of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures). The brother of UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures), Rogerio is 13-3 in MMA. He fought most recently in February, stopping Todd Gouwenberg (Pictures) in the second round of a Hardcore Championship Fighting bout in Canada.

Feb 7, 2006
Changes Hit UFC 85 Card

A broken foot has forced light heavyweight James Irvin to withdraw from his UFC 85 showdown with Rashad Evans at London’s O2 Arena. Stepping up to replace ‘The Sandman’ against Evans is Brazil’s Luiz Cane, who was originally scheduled to face Jason Lambert on the June 7th card.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction Event Coming Together

LOS ANGELES -- Initial ticket sales are strong for the July 19 debut of Affliction at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., according to Honda Center President and CEO Tim Ryan.

A heavyweight bout between Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) and Tim Sylvia (Pictures) will headline the event. During Affliction's news conference Tuesday to promote the show, Ryan said that $250,000 worth of tickets had been purchased within the first 30 minutes of public sales.

Ryan predicted that the show would sell out.

Several fighters scheduled for the July 19 card attended the Tuesday news conference. In addition to Emelianenko and Sylvia, also present were Josh Barnett (Pictures) and opponent Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) as well as Renato Sobral (Pictures) and opponent Mike Whitehead (Pictures). Ben Rothwell (Pictures) was there, but rumored foe Andrei Arlovski (Pictures) was not.

Arlovski's management declined to comment to Sherdog.com. The former UFC heavyweight champion is believed to still be negotiating with Affliction and with the UFC.

Affliction also said Tuesday that it had signed Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures), brother of UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures).

Fox Sports Net Executive Vice President George Greenberg announced two additional matchups: Aleksander Emelianenko (Pictures) vs. Paul Buentello (Pictures) and Mark Hominick (Pictures) vs. Savant Young (Pictures). It was also announced that the first hour of the event will be aired live on FSN. The pay-per-view will start at 9:00 p.m. ET.

Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) received a big reception at the conference, which was hosted by Jay Glazer (Pictures) and held at the Century City Shopping Mall in Los Angeles. The Russian heavyweight said he thought the show would be "one of the greatest cards in MMA history."

Tim Sylvia (Pictures) complimented Fedor as a person and as a fighter. Sylvia had never expected the fight to happen, though now that it is he said he plans on keeping the fight standing by employing his usual sprawl and brawl technique.

Fresh off his victory over Jeff Monson (Pictures) in Japan, Josh Barnett (Pictures) had just stepped off the plane one hour before the news conference began. He discussed how much opponent Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) has done for the sport, his longtime relationship with Affliction and promised that the July 19 event would deliver "hellacious beatings and dynamic submissions."

Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) said he knew that the upcoming fight with Josh Barnett (Pictures) would be much harder than their fight seven years earlier.

Ben Rothwell (Pictures) suggested that Affliction could change the landscape of MMA forever. He hinted at a possible matchup against Arlovski, saying he expected to be tested.

Feb 7, 2006
Kim Represents Korea in UFC Debut

At UFC 84 on Saturday, welterweight standout Dong Hyun Kim will become the second Korean fighter to grace the Octagon. Technically speaking, the proud distinction of the first goes to none other than cult icon Joe Son (aka the Asian guy in "Austin Powers").

Son's cross-bearing entrance and bare-knuckled castration by Keith Hackney (Pictures) at UFC 4 almost 14 years ago are admittedly not some of the proudest moments in Korean MMA history, but the bout was important in helping to introduce MMA to Korea and the Korean diaspora. And spreading MMA, as the initiated will agree, is in itself a virtue much like spreading democracy.

Korean MMA has come a long way since then, but with recent claims that the stock value of Korean fighters is plummeting like the Asian financial crisis, why should MMA fans, especially in North America, pay heed to Kim?

Well, for starters, Kim -- who stands just above six feet and normally walks around at 192 pounds -- has been training with middleweight stalwart Yushin Okami (Pictures).

"[Okami] is the strongest on the team and has the best balance," Kim said. "At first I got pushed around, but by sparring more with Okami, I could feel my game gradually improving. Because he and I are the two biggest guys in the gym, we end up sparring with each other for almost an hour every training session and I think we were able to help each other out."

Kim resides in South Korea, but due to a dearth in talent and training partners, he routinely makes the trek to Japan before bouts to train at Wajyutsu Keisyukai. The gym is a veritable pantheon of talent that houses fighters such as Okami, Yoshihiro Akiyama (Pictures), Caol Uno (Pictures), Katsuya Inoue (Pictures), Eiji Mitsuoka (Pictures) and the list goes on.

Wajyutsu Keisyukai is operated by the promotion Greater Common Multiple, which wields significant clout in the Japanese MMA scene. A telling rumor of the organization's influence is that Caol Uno received a pass into the second round of the Dream lightweight tournament on the strength of his ties to GCM.

"At first I didn't know it was such a famous gym," explained Kim, probably echoing the sentiments of many. "But when I started training, I realized this place was crawling with really good talent. When I first arrived, it was really awkward because I was the only Korean there, but [Yoshihiro] Akiyama went out of his way to help me settle in."

Kim was introduced to the premier gym through some string pulling by cloak-and-dagger figure Hidekazu Morooka, president of CMA -- a powerhouse Japanese management agency that also holds a local branch in Korea.

Back in 2006, CMA recruited Kim as part of an aggressive campaign to loot Korean prospects and bring them over to Japan. CMA has shown a propensity for culling strong talent, and any fighter associated with the CMA name is worth banking on, including Seung Hwan Bang, who recently claimed the Deep lightweight belt.

In Japan, Kim tore through Deep's welterweight division and earned a shot at the title by rendering champion Hidehiko Hasegawa (Pictures) unconscious in a non-title affair. The ensuing rematch, for the title this time, was a disappointing one for Kim. Despite connecting well from the outside and landing successive takedowns, Hasegawa's wild, flailing punch rushes and submission attempts seemed to even up the judges' scorecards and the bout ended in a controversial draw.

"I really wanted the belt in the rematch with Hasegawa," Kim reflected. "When it was judged a draw, I felt really empty. At the time, I was very upset at the decision, but looking back I can at least understand why it happened with the home-court advantage and all."

The bout was a blessing in disguise. Kim's performance caught the eye of a UFC scout who initially approached Kim about signing with the WEC. Since the WEC is not televised in Korea, however, Kim and his management pushed for a contract with the UFC, which is on cable TV.

News of Kim's entrance into the UFC has galvanized the Korean MMA community. It also opens up new possibilities for the UFC to make headway into the South Korean market, which Japanese promotions have traditionally dominated, and the virtually untapped Korean demographic stateside. Without a single fight in the UFC, there is enormous pressure on Kim's shoulders.

"I'm thrilled that I can represent Korea," he said. "But I don't really feel any pressure. … What's more important for me is to give hope to amateur MMA fighters in Korea and give them a goal to strive for."

With paltry pay and poor training conditions, there are serious obstacles to becoming an MMA fighter in Korea.

"In 2005, I left the ring to get a ‘real world job,'" Kim said. "But I couldn't concentrate on anything; all I thought about was MMA. I decided to leave for New Zealand to study and start afresh, but I took up judo as a hobby there and returned to Korea because I couldn't get rid of the itch."

By succeeding in the UFC, Kim hopes to open new doors for Korean fighters who might otherwise have to quit the sport due to financial difficulties.

His first challenge is English fighter Jason Tan.

Kim admits that he doesn't know much of Tan besides that he has good striking and a solid ground game: "There's not a lot of information on him, so I'm preparing for all areas. I'm just going to go into the cage and fight on instinct."

The bout will be Kim's first foray in a cage, which could prove to be an obstacle as well as the fact that he hasn't fought for several months. Yet Kim believes his strong wrestling defense and takedowns, which he has honed with an Olympic-level wrestling squad at his home team in M.A.D. and affiliate school Korean Top Team, will more than compensate.

He also believes he will be able to take advantage of the Octagon's more spacious fighting surface to use his long reach. Kim isn't known to throw a barrage of combinations but rather single bursts from his awkward southpaw stance to stun his opponents, earning him the moniker "Stun Gun."

True to form, Kim will try to stun Tan and the world on Saturday.

Feb 7, 2006
Back to Fighting

Sean Sherk (Pictures) sleeps soundly at night, like a man who has come to grips with all he has lost in a matter of months.

The 34-year-old married father of two no longer struggles with his immediate past, now 10 months removed from the positive steroids test that brought him to his knees and resulted in his being stripped of the UFC lightweight championship. Brushed aside by fans, chastised by the media and vilified by many of his peers, Sherk acknowledges the fallout may have permanently soiled his reputation.

"A lot of fans out there think I [took steroids], and I'm not going to change their minds," Sherk says. "It's going to take time to repair that."

Sherk spent countless hours in deep thought while struggling to put the pieces of his career back in place. He appealed his failed drug test before the California State Athletic Commission in December, and although it reduced his suspension from one year to six months, the ruling failed to vindicate him fully. A perception of guilt continued to shadow the once-proud champion.

"It was like a bad dream," he says. "It took me a while to realize what was going on. I never imagined in a million years that I'd test positive. It made me lose faith in the system, because I know the system doesn't work. The commission is the judge, jury and prosecutor. How am I supposed to defend myself against that?"

Adversity sapped Sherk of his drive, as frustration mounted within a man whose chiseled body seems sculpted by Michelangelo himself. According to those closest to him, reality bit hard.

"I think at first it affected his motivation," says Bodog Fight welterweight champion Nick Thompson (Pictures), Sherk's teammate at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy. "Why try if success is going to be attributed not to his work ethic but rather to steroids? I completely understand how he felt. What surprised me was how quickly he resolved to push himself even harder than he had before."

Sherk channeled his anger into long hours at the gym, and soon he returned to form through his legendary training sessions. Time away from competition allowed for nagging injuries to heal, but his flame had been lit.

"Sean is the hardest worker I know," Thompson says. "I think he's now taken the attitude that he has something to prove to everyone. Now he's not pushing himself just out of a sense of pride; he wants to show everyone who doubts him how wrong they are."

As he flew over the Atlantic Ocean in January -- bound for Newcastle, England, where he planned to watch B.J. Penn (Pictures) and Joe Stevenson fight over the belt he once wore -- Sherk mapped out his strategy. A hunch told him Penn might find him in the crosshairs, and, sure enough, after the popular Hawaiian submitted Stevenson with a second-round choke, he took the microphone and fired the first salvo in what would become a lengthy war of words with the Minnesotan.

"Sean Sherk (Pictures)," Penn said, "you're dead."

Seated cageside as an on-air analyst for the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 80, Sherk put aside his headset, walked into the Octagon and answered Penn's rhetoric with some of his own. Sportsmanship took a backseat.

"I knew he was going to do it," Sherk says. "That's why I flew all the way out to England. I wanted to be there to defend myself in person."

Their feud escalated in the days, weeks and months that followed. Penn labeled Sherk a cheater who had "perverted" the sport to which he had dedicated his life. Sherk answered on his end, casting doubt on Penn's heart, fortitude and desire.

It all pointed to this Saturday, when Sherk (32-2-1) will challenge Penn for the lightweight crown in the main event of UFC 84 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Sherk wants nothing more than to leave the 29-year-old champion a beaten man inside the cage and thinks his strengths line up favorably with Penn's weaknesses.

"His cardio's really bad, and I don't see a lot of heart there," says Sherk, who has lost only one of his 12 fights that have gone the distance. "When the going gets tough, he tends to quit, and there's not a situation, mentally or physically, that can make me quit when I step in that cage."

One of the sport's most dynamic and physically gifted competitors, Penn intensified his pre-fight attacks by questioning whether Sherk deserved to be a champion in light of his positive test for suspected steroid use. Sherk claims he has learned to ignore Penn's antics, viewing them as an attempt to bait him into an emotional tug-of-war.

"He's just one of those guys," he says. "I know he's talked a lot of garbage about me. He definitely wants to believe I took something because he doesn't have the work ethic I do. His theory is if you look like I do, you have to be on something."

Sherk's credentials are undeniable. Undefeated at 155 pounds, he suffered the lone defeats on his resume to reigning UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) -- arguably the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world -- and future UFC Hall-of-Famer Matt Hughes (Pictures). He will enter his match against Penn with 15 wins in his last 16 fights, his latest conquest coming at the expense of former World Extreme Cagefighting lightweight titleholder Hermes Franca (Pictures) last summer.

Recognition, however, has proven elusive.

"I look at some of these rankings, and I'm still not on some of them," Sherk says. "What sense does that make? People say I don't have any credentials because I dropped down to lightweight, but I've got credentials as a welterweight. Those don't follow me?"

A touch of bitterness clings to Sherk's voice, though he appears to have moved past his season of resentment. He understands many will view him as the Joker to Penn's Batman when he walks into the cage in Las Vegas for a fight that may define his career and could determine the course of the UFC lightweight division for years to come.

"Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I've been nothing but respectful," Sherk says. "I'm just a working guy trying to support my family. I carry myself better as a professional than [Penn] does. There's no reason to see me as the villain."

Feb 7, 2006
UNHERALDED DAN MILLER BECOMES IFL CHAMP

Heading into last Friday’s International Fight League event at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, perhaps the least known of all the title match participants was Dan Miller.

Having only participated in one previous IFL event, Miller had made a name for himself in smaller promotions around the New Jersey fighting circuit, amassing a 7-1 record prior to last Friday.

Clearly the underdog to champion Ryan McGivern in their 185-pound title match, Miller’s submission skills got the better of his wrestling-based opponent, earning him his first major MMA title.

“I feel great,” exclaimed Miller of his middleweight title victory. “I thought it was a good fight for me and it feels good to win the belt over such a good fighter.

“I thought I performed pretty well. I think it was a back and forth with the stand-up, but the takedown went really good for me, and the ground the same thing.”

When asked how it feels to be a champion now, Miller responded not with contentment, but with anticipation of what’s to come by saying, “I can’t wait to get in the ring again and prove that I should be there.”

With the IFL not slated to host another show for three months, he should have ample time to get ready for his first title defense should the promotion call upon him.

Commented Miller, “They asked me about returning in August for the (New) Jersey show. They didn’t offer anything, just asked if I’d be interested and I said, ‘Yeah, definitely.’ We’ll see who they offer and everything, but I would really like to step up on the Jersey card.”

IFL CEO Jay Larkin made it clear in a recent conference call that the promotion may be willing to share talent with another organization. The question was posed to Miller whether or not he’d be willing to take a fight with another promotion prior to his first title defense.

“The fight would have to be right and the money would have to be right,” he responded. “If everything fell in place, yeah I’ll do that.”

While it may be uncertain when he will return to action, in the meantime Miller intends to improve and become better prepared for the road ahead of him.

“There’s definitely room for improvement,” said Miller of his game. “I just want to be a better, more complete fighter.

“(I want to) not always have to take the fight to the ground. I want to be able to be comfortable wherever the fight goes, and just be more complete.”

Winning over Ryan McGivern and claiming the IFL’s middleweight championship has afforded Miller the recognition that he has long worked so hard for. Now all he has to do is stick to his word and prove he belongs with the best in the 185-pound division.

“I’d really like to thank my sponsors, Full Contact Fighter, Gold Chiropractic; all my training partners and my family,” he concluded. “I just want the fans keep watching me, I promise to keep the fights exciting and keep the pace up.”

Feb 7, 2006
NATE DIAZ: "WHOEVER THEY WANT TO GIVE ME, THAT'S WHO I WANT TO FIGHT"

"I would say he's a tough fighter, a really good fighter, but I would say that I just had a bad, bad start; a slow start...I'm just glad I pulled it off," stated UFC lightweight contender Nate Diaz as he talked about his impressive win over Kurt Pellegrino at UFC Fight Night 13. Check out what he had to say about the fight, his future plans and more.

JAKE SHIELDS: "I KNOW I'LL BEAT HIM"

"It might not be 'till September, which is way off, so I'm just trying to stay in shape right now and help my other training partners...possibly looking to go and try and fight somewhere in July. I know DREAM is having a show. I'm thinking about contacting them to see if I can get something in before the Fickett fight," stated EliteXC welterweight contender Jake Shields as he talked about the postponement of his title fight with Drew Fickett. Check out what he had to say about his ongoing feud with Frank Trigg, his future plans as he waits for his shot at the title and shares his predictions for the televised matchups on CBS/EliteXC Saturday Night Fights.

Feb 7, 2006
Lyoto Machida Interview

How are your trainings to face Tito?
We are in the final phase. I had a two months preparations for this fight, and my brother and my father are here with me, we are at the end of the tactical, technical part, and we have already done a lot of resistance training. We are doing the final adjustments.

What will be your strategy for this fight?
I want to win at stand up and I hope to, obviously, knock him out, or even submit him. I came from carate, but I am at the MMA and I am prepared for any situation.

Where are you training?
I am training here at my father’s academy at Belém, and I made some trainings at AKA at USA, where I trained with Josh Koshchek, two months ago.

What are you expectations for this fight?
I'm anxious. It is normal, that is normal, but I am calm, confident, and I hope to make a great fight and to give a good show on 24th. It is very important, but basically I have not thought much about having to win, I want to do my work.

Tito said you don’t hit hard enough, that your Jiu-Jitsu is just “OK” and that his stand up is better than yours and that he is going to hurt you a lot...What do you think about that?
I think he can talk what he want, but nothing shakes me. Like other people talk much before the fight, I think this It will be only decided on May 24th. Before that, he can talk what he want. ‘He will do this, he will do that, I am the best', but I am confident in my game, in my training and I believe a lot in myself.

What your expectations at others Brazilians UFC 84 fights?
I think the Brazilians are very well quoted in the UFC. At this fight, Wanderlei can win. He is an example for any athlete, he is disciplined, fought at smalls and larges events in the world, is a guy who was a champion, lost his title, is seeking again another belt and has great chances in this fight now. At technique he is better and he has more heart. Thiago Silva is unbeaten and is among the bests of the weight division and he has technique enough to go through this fight, but he is going to face another Brazilian, but I don’t know well the other one. It is a strong guy ... Wilson Gouveia has heavy hands, has showed in other events also. With Toquinho, I think if the fight goes to the ground it is dangers ... I think he will win the fight, he came very strong, submitting everybody. It is hard to say that he is not going to have a positive result.

It’s the belt at your mind?
Since my first UFC fight I think about that. I knew it was early, but I imagined that. Slowly I think I'm coming, but I just do not try to think baout that, I try to focus myself, but this is a consequence, and also depends on the event’s promoteurs. Everything is goind to be good for me. When the time came it will be great, I will be prepared, but if they give another, It will be great to because I will have more chance to prepare myself better and when I have the chance I will be prepared.

Feb 7, 2006
Feijão could help Nogueira at TUF

BJJ black belt and currently at Minotauro Team, Rafael Feijão has many reasons to expect a very good year in his career. Besides being a contract signed with EliteXC, one of the biggest events at MMA, which recently signed an agreement for inside broadcast in American, Feijão can also be very close to participate as one of the coaches, of the most famous MMA reallity shows, The Ultimate Fighter, where his partner and friend, Rodrigo Minotauro is going to lead one of the teams of the next edition facing the team leaded by Frank Mir. "I do not know how is going to operate the house yet, I do not know if the fighters he is going to train is chosen randomly, but certainly for his next fight against Frank Mir I will be in the United States to help him", commented Feijão about his friend Rodrigo Minotauro.

Jul 24, 2005
EVANS BOUT SCRAPPED, UFC 85 FINAL AT 11 BOUTS

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Within hours of announcing that Luis Cane would step in for an injured James Irvin to face Rashad Evans at UFC 85 on June 7 in London, the Ultimate Fighting Championship issued another statement, finalizing the fight card and scrapping the Evans bout altogether.

Following more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel, the fight card for UFC 85, according to the promoter, is final with 11-bouts. With the Evans bout being dropped from the card, the UFC moved up the middleweight bout between No.5 ranked middleweight Nathan Marquardt and opponent Thales Leites to the pay-per-view portion of the event.

Prior to announcing the finalized UFC 85 fight card, the promotion had issued a statement on its website saying that Cane would be pulled from his fight with Jason Lambert to face Evans. The Cane vs. Lambert bout has since been restored to the preliminary portion of the card.

UFC 85 Main Card Bouts:
-Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves
-Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera
-Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day
-Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
-Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites

UFC 85 Preliminary Bouts:
-Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera
-Ryo Chonan vs. Roan Carneiro
-Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman
-Jason Lambert vs. Luis Arthur Cane
-Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor
-Neil Wain vs. Antoni Hardonk

Mar 18, 2003
UFC 85 Main Card Bouts:
-Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves
-Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera
-Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day
-Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
-Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites

UFC 85 Preliminary Bouts:
-Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera
-Ryo Chonan vs. Roan Carneiro
-Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman
-Jason Lambert vs. Luis Arthur Cane
-Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor
-Neil Wain vs. Antoni Hardonk
Weak. They need to just chalk it up and show this fight on Spike. I'm not paying a penny for this shit.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Josh Neer to return at UFN 14

Josh Neer (24-6-1 MMA, 3-3 UFC) will look to build upon a recent victory over Din Thomas when he returns at UFC Fight Night 14 in September.

A source close to the fighter told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Neer, who's won seven of his past eight fights, has agreed to fight at the Sept. 17 event, which airs on Spike TV.

An opponent for the 25-year-old the Team Miletich fighter has not been finalized.

Neer, who most recently scored a unanimous-decision victory over the veteran Thomas at UFC Fight Night 13, had left the organization for nearly two years before the victory. After consecutive losses to Josh Burkman and Nick Diaz, Neer went 6-1 with five stoppages in organizations including the IFL and Greensparks Full Contact Fighting.

UFC Fight Night 14 precedes the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 8, which features UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and former champ Frank Mir as coaches. A UFC Fight Night 14 main event has not been revealed.