MLB signing Deadline

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 2, 2004
Zumaya will be back on Tuesday most likely.. He's doing his rehab assignment in the minors.

In his last appearance he reached 98.. Not as high as the 102-103, we've come to expect from him, but still fast.

And at least none of the teams paid 50 million dollars just for the rights to talk to these players like The Red Sox did with Dice-K.

And the Tigers brought up Cameron Maybin today. One of the top prospects in baseball, who was mentioned briefly in this thread. Not sure if it'll be a short time thing, or if he's up for good. He'll probably be starting at CF or LF tonight in Yankee Stadium.

Sep 25, 2005
ArGenTin3 said:
butler didnt go to college either...he came straight out of highschool.
your right on Butler. my mistake.

ArGenTin3 said:
baseball america had gordon and butler ranked high ashell when they were in school...gordon was minor league player of the year last year also...

sheesh butler just barely turned 21 and gordon isnt much older...i think 23.
i know they were ranked very high by BA. but that was also in a class that wasnt exceptional. oh well, i hope he turns out great for you guys, it wont bother me in the NL West.

i am not knocking these guys, i am just saying i dont see the Superstar Potential needed to get KC out of the cellar.

and remember i said to this point and that it was a small sample

Sep 25, 2005
ArGenTin3 said:
some say is the best highschool powerhitting infielder since ARod.

im gonna have to say that is.....phenom-esque qualities.
that was his Agent Scott Boras who said that!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/264689.html
Q: Ace from Detroit, MI asks:
Is Mike Moustakas really the best HS hitter since AROD or was that Scott Boras speak?

A: John Manuel: Actually, Boras called Moustakas the best high school power hitter since A-Rod. That claim can be made considering Moustakas set the Calif. single-season and career home run records. But for me, I'd give that distinction to either Prince Fielder or Delmon Young. Moustakas clearly belongs in the discussion, however.

Q: Ben from Leland Grove asks:
If the 2008 BA Handbook were published today, would Moustakas be KC's # 1 prospect, or would it go to Hochevar? Also, how quickly do you think Moose could see the Show?

A: John Manuel: I'll take Moustakas by a hair; Luke's season is a bit better than a though in K-BB ratio. Moustakas could move quite quickly, still wouldn't expect him before 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
a little something for the giants fans

Q: Michael from Sacramento, CA asks:
It appears the Giants signed the vast majority of their drafted players? How does this draft project for them in the next few years---any future All Stars? Thanks.

A: John Manuel: The Giants helped themselves, and I'm a Tim Alderson fan as well as a Madison Bumgarner fan. The Giants haven't had success developing players like Wendell Fairly in the past, so you'll forgive me if I have my doubts about him. Nick Noonan was also a nice get, but otherwise, it's more of a solid effort rather than future all-stars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
heres the answer to the Dodger question i asked

Q: J.V. from Sherman Oaks, Ca asks:
How do the Dodgers not sign Kyle Blair, who evidently wanted to sign, for 1.1 $ mil. as opposed to his original 1.5$ mil.?

A: John Manuel: Blair contends that he wanted $1.35 million and it sounds like he did turn down $1.1 million. How do they not sign him? They put a value on the player and the player thinks he's worth more. You guys make it sound so simple . . .

Mar 24, 2006
LA Dodgers said:
that was his Agent Scott Boras who said that!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/264689.html
Q: Ace from Detroit, MI asks:
Is Mike Moustakas really the best HS hitter since AROD or was that Scott Boras speak?

A: John Manuel: Actually, Boras called Moustakas the best high school power hitter since A-Rod. That claim can be made considering Moustakas set the Calif. single-season and career home run records. But for me, I'd give that distinction to either Prince Fielder or Delmon Young. Moustakas clearly belongs in the discussion, however.

Q: Ben from Leland Grove asks:
If the 2008 BA Handbook were published today, would Moustakas be KC's # 1 prospect, or would it go to Hochevar? Also, how quickly do you think Moose could see the Show?

A: John Manuel: I'll take Moustakas by a hair; Luke's season is a bit better than a though in K-BB ratio. Moustakas could move quite quickly, still wouldn't expect him before 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
a little something for the giants fans

Q: Michael from Sacramento, CA asks:
It appears the Giants signed the vast majority of their drafted players? How does this draft project for them in the next few years---any future All Stars? Thanks.

A: John Manuel: The Giants helped themselves, and I'm a Tim Alderson fan as well as a Madison Bumgarner fan. The Giants haven't had success developing players like Wendell Fairly in the past, so you'll forgive me if I have my doubts about him. Nick Noonan was also a nice get, but otherwise, it's more of a solid effort rather than future all-stars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
heres the answer to the Dodger question i asked

Q: J.V. from Sherman Oaks, Ca asks:
How do the Dodgers not sign Kyle Blair, who evidently wanted to sign, for 1.1 $ mil. as opposed to his original 1.5$ mil.?

A: John Manuel: Blair contends that he wanted $1.35 million and it sounds like he did turn down $1.1 million. How do they not sign him? They put a value on the player and the player thinks he's worth more. You guys make it sound so simple . . .
lol

i gotta give you credit.

you caught me with the Boras comment...nice!

Boras actually said the best power hitting middle infielder since ARod not the best power hitting highschool player since ARod.

just thought i'd throw that out there.