MIxtapes? Mix or Album?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 29, 2002
Alright Im going to start this debate. Mixtape or Albums. Is it just me or are you also tired of these stupid ass mixtapes. Ok don't get me wrong when they first hit the scene they were alright I still didn't like to bump them but now they are out of hand. I think instead of putting all your energy on a mixtape you should step your game up and do an album. Im from the early bay days where there was no such thing as a mixtape and the bay was dope like GLP, 11-5, RBL, CWH, UDI, YOUNG ED... I think it is a easy way to call your self a rapper now a days and thats why no-one wants to buy your album. Anyways the question is Mixtape or Albums.

May 16, 2002
I think both are equal and important, BUT! what's killed it is...

They saturated the game with too much garbage (overload/over kill). Some of these mixtapes are not even hosted or "mixed" by a actual DJ. They just take the instumentals and spit a whole song. On top of all that, a [MIXTAPE] is supose to be FREE and should have the artist hottest shit on it.

It is simply a demo that shows the people what that artist is capable of. Which in return...makes them antisipate and actual album (builds the hype etc etc...)

Now a days, they selling mixtapes too! Everybody talking about "Get your money.", but it's either you gonna go for that fast buck and continue to stay broke, or you gonna take it back to the basics and go for the real money.

The music industry is at a stand still at this point. You have major artist not even reaching gold in some cases. The bar has been raised so high, gold isn't good enough no more. Platinum plus is what everybody wants today. Anything lower than that, is not good enough in some people's / labels opinions.

I feel you on back in the day where we'd simply pick up a Cd once we saw that record label logo stamped on it...we knew it was good. Today, sadly, that's no longer the case.

Back to the basics: Mixtapes should be FREE and have your hottest work on it. Quit tryin' to sell your mixtapes for 5's and 10's...this is 2008 and it's no longer a handful of rappers like back in the day. Everybody and they mama's are rapping today.

Albums should be just as hot, if not hotter and should be sold.

May 16, 2002
I THINK MIXTAPES SHOULD BE SOLD THOUGH JUST NOT FOR MORE THAN 5 BUCKS. I'D PAY 5 FOR A MIXTAPE FROM AN ARTIST I LIKE.
Yeah Homie, but a lot of people be taking advantage of humble people like yourself.

How 'bout the artist showing you some Luv for supporting him / her with their music? Instead they jack up the price, or still sell you their latest album at a signing after you dumped all your collection of his / her music for them to sign...plus, sometimes they won't sign your poster without you purchasing their Cd first!

And then everybody wonders why people prefer to download other peoples shit rather than buy it.