Mista Bourne speaks on DRAKE, "as a city we should be ashamed"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADPah89o-0

1st Party TV - Mista Bourne speaks on Drake and why Toronto should be ashamed of it's self for viewing our talent as "local" artists, How many other Drakes are in this city? & shows love to Saukrates for working with Toronto's new wave of talent

Basically he saying why do artists have to get co-signed by jay-z and lil wayne or insert big name artist here ______ before the fans can really appreciate there work... what you think?

Mar 4, 2007
thats just how it is imo..there are just some times that when an artist comes out its bcuz so and so found him or heard about him/her and decided to put them on...and it can either go one of two ways 1 is that the talent they found makes it big and so on and so forth or 2 they have one hit and flop or dont even make it big at all....most of the ppl that get co signed by big names wanna make it in the mainstream...but its easy for someone in the streets to talk about a homie they heard or whatever and able to make it underground or independent....

idk if any of that makes sense but thats just imo

Mar 20, 2007
drake should've came into the game more as a r&b/pop type of guy. i think part of the backlash he's getting is because it doesn't feel like hip hop fans chose him.

he's getting work with top artists like lil wayne and kanye. he's getting co-signed by everyone, like jay-z, mary j blige, jamie foxx etc. it seems like the industry is choosing who is the next big thing in hip hop rather than the people who actually listen to hip hop. it's the degrassi fangirls that are giving him alot of momentum.

No I.D. summed up it pretty good. he said Drake should be careful with them love songs, cause he's leaving himself vunerable to get ja rule'd in the future. just like ja rule came out with all those hit love songs in the early 00's, all it took is one rapper (50 cent) to use that backlash within the hip hop community agaisnt him.

I want Drake to succeed, but he has to make sure he never responds to any disses.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
^hes not shitting on him though... hes saying his city should be ashamed that it didnt bust drake... and co-signs and drake busted himself
If i come up, and Snoop Dogg cosigns me, Dr. Dre cosigns me etc, and some toher nigga from my city say oh well Rasan is tight BUT as a city we should be ashamed because Rasan got put on not for his lyrical ability but because he got co-signed. sorry bruh, but thats some undercover hater shit no matter how you slice it. keep your mouth shut, congratulate the nigga and make your own lane and get there the best way you can imo.

Feb 7, 2006
it might be undercover hater but its all plain real, it's saying that people in yo city will ignore your ass if you have talent pressed up and no major co-sign, but if you get the co-sign then you all good and yo town talkin bout oh he rep my (insert your city). The fans have to stop being fickle, that's the truth.

Feb 8, 2003
it's saying that people in yo city will ignore your ass if you have talent pressed up and no major co-sign, but if you get the co-sign then you all good and yo town talkin bout oh he rep my (insert your city). The fans have to stop being fickle, that's the truth.

Remember though you gotta earn repsect.

you cant just drop no music and expect to get co signed. you gotta actual reach out and network and interact form friendships or alliances(even though i dont care about his music too much) drake did just that and tahts why he in the great position he in now. He left outta canada and pursued his goal while this nobody(bourne) still in canada. How you expect to be heard or blow up if you sitting in your same hometown forever. Sometimes your biggest competition is in your hometown(bc other local rappers wnna blow before you, personal enemies, friends may not take your music fully serious bc they knew you when you was a kid) so thats why you gotta reach out and get people outside it supporting you then once your town see the world supporting you they will jump all on your shit.

Far as music goes this drake dude didnt just come out of no wherethe last year bc i remember seeing him on BET Rapcity back in either 2004 or 2005 with a music video he rapped fast had braids too.

Feb 7, 2006
Remember though you gotta earn repsect.

you cant just drop no music and expect to get co signed. you gotta actual reach out and network and interact form friendships or alliances(even though i dont care about his music too much) drake did just that and tahts why he in the great position he in now. He left outta canada and pursued his goal while this nobody(bourne) still in canada. How you expect to be heard or blow up if you sitting in your same hometown forever. Sometimes your biggest competition is in your hometown(bc other local rappers wnna blow before you, personal enemies, friends may not take your music fully serious bc they knew you when you was a kid) so thats why you gotta reach out and get people outside it supporting you then once your town see the world supporting you they will jump all on your shit.

Far as music goes this drake dude didnt just come out of no wherethe last year bc i remember seeing him on BET Rapcity back in either 2004 or 2005 with a music video he rapped fast had braids too.

Can't debate with that...the only thing is the dude Drake had been in the entertainment industry for years and had money...that aint his fault but that's the difference in his situation.

Jan 18, 2006
wow lot of truth in this thread, Drake wouldnt be where he was if he didnt have talent and he got cosigned by a big name i dont see what the problem is, thats networking at its finest.

Sep 16, 2008
If i come up, and Snoop Dogg cosigns me, Dr. Dre cosigns me etc, and some toher nigga from my city say oh well Rasan is tight BUT as a city we should be ashamed because Rasan got put on not for his lyrical ability but because he got co-signed. sorry bruh, but thats some undercover hater shit no matter how you slice it. keep your mouth shut, congratulate the nigga and make your own lane and get there the best way you can imo.
but thats the thing he didnt say that drake wasnt talented, watch the video. he is saying that drake was just as talented before the co-signs and the industry and city didnt care

May 10, 2002
The fact is: Drake is Jewish and so are the rest of the music execs and decision makers. Yes, he can sing and rap but there is a reason he is being extra cosigned...

Feb 8, 2003
but thats the thing he didnt say that drake wasnt talented, watch the video. he is saying that drake was just as talented before the co-signs and the industry and city didnt care
FUCK DUDE HE NOBODY TO MAKE JUDGEMENT ON ANY ARTISTS ANYWAY. i BET YOUR DUDE AND JUST ON HERE TRYING TO PROMOTE YOURSELF.

nOT TO SOUND RUDE BUT US AMERICANS DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT CANADIAN RAP SINCE WE THE ORIGINATORS OF THAT SHIT.

dO YOU THINK PIZZA HUT GIVES A FUCK ABOUT A FROZEN TOMBSTONE PIZZA