Miss World Brazil Finalist Amputated

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

JOK3R187

Ferocious Mackadoshis
Jun 17, 2005
A 20-year-old model who was a finalist to represent Brazil in the Miss World contest has had her hands and feet amputated after contracting a severe urinary infection.

According to several media reports, Mariana Bridi da Costa is sedated in a hospital in Serra, in Brazil's state of Espirito Santo, and on artificial respiration following the procedures.

Bridi was diagnosed with a infection by the pseudomonas aeroginosa bacterium, which can often prove fatal.

Septicemia set in in her limbs, cutting off circulation and forcing doctors to amputate.

Her boyfriend, Thiago Simoes, told the G1 news website that Bridi fell ill on December 30, but was initially misdiagnosed with kidney stones.

The infection quickly spread, causing her to go back to hospital for tests that revealed her condition.

Surgeons had to act to remove her damaged hands and feet.

Her father, Agnaldo da Costa, told the Folha de S Paulo newspaper that "the concern is over her life."

Bridi twice made it into the national finals for the Miss World contest, and last year travelled to China to participate in the Miss Bikini International pageant, according to G1.

bitch was fine

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
damn too bad... I would have liked to KICK it with her

honestly though... too bad I can't spread those LEGS open... she looked like she was pretty LIMBer... but seriously I would have HANDled that

Dec 4, 2006
R.I.P.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7849061.stm

Brazil model dies from infection
By Gary Duffy
BBC News, Sao Paulo

A 2006 shot of Mariana Bridi
The model had complained of feeling ill in December

A 20-year-old Brazilian model whose feet and hands were amputated due to an infection has died in hospital.

Mariana Bridi died in the early hours of Saturday morning after struggling for weeks against the illness.

Doctors were said to have amputated both her feet and her hands and removed part of her stomach in an effort to save her life.

The hospital in Brazil's Espirito Santo state said she died from complications related to a generalised infection.

Mariana Bridi was said to have first sought medical help in December when she felt unwell. It was reported that medical staff initially thought she had kidney stones, before she was later diagnosed with a urinary infection, caused by a rare type of bacteria.

By the time this was detected, the 20-year-old model had developed the blood infection septicaemia.

Before her illness Mariana Bridi seemed to be in the initial stages of a highly successful career. She was twice a finalist in the Brazilian stage of the Miss World competition.

News of her illness attracted attention around the world, and friends said they had received messages of support from many different countries.