Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic leaves UFC after one-fight return at UFC 99 in Germany

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic leaves UFC after one-fight return at UFC 99 in Germany

COLOGNE, Germany – Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's return to the UFC was a short one.

Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japanese-based DREAM organization.

White had signed Filipovic less than a month ago to a one-fight deal, the first time in more than nine years that he'd done that. He had worked out terms on two additional fights, but said he'd only put pen to paper for Saturday's bout.

He brought Filipovic back because he knew the Croat is still very popular, and Filipovic insisted he wanted to make a run for the title.

That proved not to be the truth. After turning down much tougher opposition, including Cain Velasquez, who defeated Cheick Kongo later on the card, he wound up with the lightly regarded Al-Turk.

But instead of getting a shot at big names like Randy Couture or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and fighting his way into title contention, Filipovic opted to bolt for Japan.

"Isn't that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?" White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic's deal with DREAM. "He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me."

Filipovic looked unsteady and hardly impressive in defeating Al-Turk, who is winless in the UFC. He never landed one of his vaunted kicks and the fight ended not from a punch but when he poked Al-Turk in the eye with his finger.

Referee Dan Miragliotta didn't see the poke, so it was regarded as a clean blow and Filipovic won by stoppage.

Filipovic was fighting five months to the day after knee surgery, one of several injuries he said kept him from performing at his best in his first stint in the UFC. Before the fight, he called his 1-2 UFC record "the black spot" on his career.

While speaking with reporters on a prefight conference call, Filipovic seemed enthused about his return and said he was gunning for a title shot. All the while, he apparently knew he was in it for a one-fight deal.

He texted White on the UFC exec's cellular phone and told him he wanted to return. White said Filipovic declined numerous opponents.

Apparently, Filipovic, who is from Croatia, wanted to fight in Germany and use the UFC bout as a tuneup. He did and is now DREAM bound, but he'll almost certainly never fight in the UFC again.

"He didn't keep his word," White said, who said he'd had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day "Cro Cop" texted and asked to be able to return. "He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

"He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn't just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too."

As is his custom, Filipovic skipped the postfight news conference and could not be reached to comment on the DREAM deal.

Feb 7, 2006
Mirko Three Fight Deal! Reported In Japan Even Before UFC 99

The three fight deal that CroCop now seems to have with FEG was reported in Japan even before UFC 99 had taken place.

An article by NikkanSports on the 13th (UFC took place on the 14th in Japan) said that he got around 450 e-mails by Japanese fans when he announced on his blog that he would make a UFC comeback. And it said that after learning this, his mother Ana(?) told him that Japanese fans respect him.

The article says that he will fight in DREAM on July, September, and on NYE. He wanted a rematch with Nogueira in the UFC but he chose DREAM in the end. Defeating Al-Turk was a must for a DREAM fight in July.

Feb 12, 2004
Need to get a final word from Dana because there are too many contradicting reports:

ZAGREB - The same Saturday night in which Mirko Filipović in only three minutes TKOed Britain Mostapha Al Turk, President of American Organization UFC Dana White without any argument accused the Croatian master of the ultimat fighting for the fraud and hypocrisy.

Ten days ago Dana White and Cro Cop have a phone made arrangements for the duel on the UFC 99 tournament in Cologne Lanxess Arena, leaving open the possibility that cooperation prolongs for the two further tournaments. However, the head of the UFC on Saturday felt fooled because he thought that the Croatian gladiator signed a new contract with the Japanese Dream.

Before we accuse Crocop for hypocrisy, let us see what lays below Dana White's empty phrase of honor. UFC leader is angry because Mirko, just as Fedor Emilianenko, the best MMA fighter in the world, did not agree to perform only twice in the next 12 months.

However, it is not true that Cro Cop signed with Dream. We have learned that Mirko Crocop still did not sign neither with Dream nor with UFC, and that he is ready to discuss any offer. Moreover, Mirko expected after the victory in Cologne immediate talks with Dana White about the new contract and is surprised by the accusations of UFC's president.

"I don’t know why White listened to the roumors instead of talking to me. I hoped that we will talk about a continuing of our collaboration, because the only obstacle was the long period between two fights that has been offered to me. I don’t want to sit at home so long and waiting that someone calls me for a figh. However, I am grateful to Dana White for an opportunity to fight in Cologne and despite his harsh words, I don’t see the reason that we don’t prolong the contract – explained Mirko after returning from Germany.

White gave Crocop the opportunity to fight in Cologne to use his charisma of the most popular European fighter and suggested two more bouts, under the condition that he doesn’t fight for other promotions. Because Dream offered him also three-fights contract, but in the next 6 months, why shouldn’t Mirko take some time to consider what is better to him?

Feb 7, 2006
^^^ weird
So much for Mirko "Crocop" Filipovic's second run in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Soon after beating Mostapha al-Turk on Saturday at UFC 99, Filipovic told UFC officials that he has signed a three-fight deal with the Japanese organization Dream, Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole first reported. The news was later confirmed to me in an e-mail from Mike Kogan, who runs the U.S. operation of Dream's parent company, Fighting and Entertainment Group.

UFC had signed Filipovic for a one-fight deal, and the two sides were talking about a longer term contract. Earlier this week, Filipovic spoke justifying himself to UFC's fans and owners because of his disappointing 1-2 record in 2007 during his first run in the organization.

"He didn’t keep his word," UFC President Dana White told Iole.

Filipovic has always spoken fondly of fighting in Japan. After a success run in the K-1 kickboxing organization, Filipovic became a superstar in mixed martial arts with an impressive list of knockouts in Pride Fighting Championships from 2001 to 2006. Following his departure from UFC the first time, Filipovic fought three times in Japan last year, twice in Dream and once on New Year's Eve in the annual event organized by Dream's parent company, Fighting and Entertainment Group.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2009/06/68081121/1

May 27, 2009
Yeah, even in this fight his performance seemed substandard.

We'll see how this story turns out. Some blogs are suggesting that the DREAM people are making shit up in order to get Dana to say some shit that will sour his relationship with Crocop.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: UFC snubber Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic meets "Mighty Mo" at DREAM.10 in July

Despite his recent claims that he hasn't signed a deal with DREAM (and despite UFC President Dana White and DREAM executive Mike Kogan's claims that he did), Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) has agreed to fight Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga (3-1) at DREAM.10 on July 20.

The news comes from SI.com's Josh Gross, who cited a "source familiar with (the) negotiations."

As of Thursday afternoon, the Japanese-based DREAM organization had yet to announce the bout is part of DREAM.10, which takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

However, with the event now just a month away, a formal announcement should come soon.

"Cro Cop" spurned UFC officials (and many fans) when he negotiated a return to the UFC at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany, earlier this month. Filipovic went 1-2 during his initial stint in the UFC in 2007 and then left the organization to compete in DREAM last year.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on the eve of UFC 99, White said he and Filipovic agreed to a rare one-fight deal to return at UFC 99. White said they had verbally agreed to extend the deal to three fights and would sign the appropriate paperwork after the June 13 event.

However, just hours after Filipovic's first-round TKO of Mostapha Al Turk at UFC 99 (aided by an illegal eyepoke that went unseen by the referee), the Croatian fighter reportedly informed White he had instead signed a three-fight deal with DREAM. Soon after, USA Today's Sergio Non reported that Mike Kogan, who runs the U.S. operation of DREAM's parent company, also confirmed Filipovic's DREAM deal.

"He [expletived] me," White told Yahoo! Sports. "The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal, and he [expletived] me."

During a media conference call prior to UFC 99, Filipovic had talked about wanting to challenge for the UFC title and erase the only "black spot" on his career, which included the previous UFC losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo. Instead, though, he now faces Siliga, who's better known as a kickboxer than an MMA fighter. "Mighty Mo," who owns a 14-9 kickboxing record, last competed in MMA during the New Year's Eve K-1 show this past December. There, he suffered a first-round submission loss to Semmy Schilt to snap a three-fight winning streak.

Filipovic enters the bout 3-0 (with one no-contest) over his past four fights.

Siliga, also a hard-striking kickboxer, last fought under MMA rules in December, where he lost to Semmy Schilt by triangle at K-1 Dynamite! on New Year’s Eve.