Miranda Barbour sticks to claim of 22 murders

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
Miranda Barbour sticks to claim of 22 murders - The Daily Item: Home

Just one week after Miranda Barbour reiterated her claims to have killed at least 22 people, she pleaded guilty Tuesday in Northumberland County Court to one of those murders.

While she awaits sentencing in September, chances are she will never get the chance to kill again.

Mrs. Barbour, 19, and her husband, Elytte, 22, unexpectedly entered guilty pleas Tuesday during a status conference for what would have been their death-penalty trials in the November slaying of Port Trevorton resident Troy LaFerrara.

Police say she stabbed LaFerrara 20 times while Mr. Barbour used a cord to strangle the 42-year-old victim inside Mrs. Barbour’s Honda CRV in Sunbury.

Had their cases gone to trial, Mr. Barbour would have testified against his wife of less than one year, according to Northumberland County District Attorney Ann Targonski.

“I knew exactly what he would do,” Mrs. Barbour said of her husband, who previously had told police the newlyweds wanted to kill someone for the thrill of it. “He knew exactly what he did as well.”

Mrs. Barbour’s revelations in a February interview with The Daily Item that she stopped counting after her 22nd murder gained worldwide attention.

“I stand by what I said,” Mrs. Barbour said last week during another interview with The Daily Item from the State Correctional Institution at Muncy.

“I wanted to get it off my chest and I did. I never said I did all of this myself, but I have been around it and saw these things. If people choose to not believe me, then that’s up to them. I said what I said and I wanted to get the truth out. This is the first time I am telling the truth in my life."

Speaking in Muncy, Mrs. Barbour went on to say, “This is where I belong. I wanted to put this behind me and move on.”

She said she wants to move on and begin to try to help others.

“I know what I have done in the past is wrong,” she said. “I want to start to do good things and help other people who may be in the position I was in.”

Mrs. Barbour appeared in Northumberland County Court on Tuesday and answered Judge Charles Saylor’s questions by responding yes or no.

She told the judge she wanted to plead guilty.

She made no other statements.

“I knew I needed to be in jail,” she said last week. “I don’t want to hurt anyone else.”

Mrs. Barbour was arrested Dec. 3 after Sunbury police said she fatally stabbed LaFerrara after an arranged meeting between the two had been set up earlier the night of Nov. 11.

The meeting was supposed to be for companionship.

Mrs. Barbour last week said she didn’t want to discuss the specifics of the LaFerrara case, but added that she had planned to go to jail and even had her paperwork in order before she was arrested.

“Two murderers,” she said, “could not raise children.”

Mrs. Barbour and Mr. Barbour each have a child from previous companions.

Sunbury police and the FBI have been investigating Mrs. Barbour’s claims of mass murder since February.

Northumberland County chief public defender Ed Greco and Paige Rosini represented Mrs. Barbour.

Arresting officer Travis Bremigen, of Sunbury police, would not comment on the status of other investigations, but did confirm he and Sunbury police are still in contact with federal and state authorities about Mrs. Barbour’s claims.

Said Mrs. Barbour: “I just want this to be all over now. I listened to my attorneys and this was what was best for me.”

The Barbours will be sentenced at 9:15 a.m. Sept. 18