Midi controler and cubase sx

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 24, 2002
www.5150xo.com
O.K i have a Emu MK- 6 synth i want to use to control the vst instmnts in cubase sx. I have the midi out on the mk-6 going to the midi in (Port 1) on the 428 and the midi out (Port 1)on the 428 going to the midi in on the mk-6. I have the local control on the MK-6 turned off and in cubase sx i have the box checced that says midi thru active. I also have the outputs on the MK-6 going into line 1 and 2 on the 428. When i turn the local control on the mk-s on. i can hear sounds but with it off i hear nothing. Anyone got any ideas

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Assuming that you're sequencing in Cubase......??

First of all......when you turn "local control" off.....it's for the purpose of using the keyboard as a MIDI controller for sequencing in Cubase. You have to select the sounds (or devices) you want to use to make beats with in Cubase from now on. If you had other sound modules (or VST's) and left the "local control" on.....then your keyboard would be playing the sounds from it - as well as the OTHER sound source you're actually trying to work with at the same time. I have to switch my "local control" back and forth with my Triton in order to listen to beats made on the Triton (the old way) and to make beats in Cubase (my new way).

Other than that.....it sounds like you have your cables set up right. I don't think it's necessary to have the "MIDI thru" checked though. You're not using it. If anything......depending on how many MIDI outputs there are on your interface.......sometimes the "MIDI out" acts as a "MIDI thru" and is selectable. That could be your problem.

Are you wondering why you're not hearing the VST's? You should if you can hear your regular audio in Cubase......if not.....then your VST settings are incorrect. Could be MIDI.....or it could be your sound card settings. You are assigning your VST's audio outputs on your soundcard aren't you?

Hope this helps..........

Nov 24, 2002
www.5150xo.com
I have the soundcard that came with the p.c completly disabled and i use my tascam us-428 as my soundcard. The 428 is a DAW control surface as well as a 8 tracc 24 bit mixer and midi interface. The 428 does not have any midi thru's but it has two in's and two out's. The cubase sx manual said i had to have that box that said midi active thru. Within cubase i can record audio traccs and play them bacc and they sound great. But when it comes to midi i just cant control the vst instruments that i have like Halion, Modle E or any of the others. If i run the mk-6 into a midi tracc by itself as the sound source it works fine but using it to controll the vst's just dont work. I picced up about $300.00 worth of books and video's on Midi and DAW"s so im sure i'll get it sooner or later. MR D-Sane i have read several of your posts and i would like to thank you for taking time out to drop some knowledge on the rest of us. Your knowledge has helped out more then you will ever know. I would like to learn to read and write music and play the piano could you suggest any good books or video's that will help me out. I learn better by watching video's so if you know of any it would surely help. By the way imma get at you in the next couple months to buy some beats from you.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Hmmm.....see I have never used my VST's. I have played around with them a few times.....but I wasn't really feelin' them. They work for me though.

You probably have some sort of MIDI assignment issue if your audio is working fine. You'll have to troubleshoot the problem within your VST settings.....wish I could help you more. Just make sure that the VST is set to output to the same outputs as the rest of your audio.

As far as playing piano & whatnot......I really don't have any formal training. I have some music theory under my belt from being in band and playing for so many years......but making beats and all that came pretty naturally for me. I would at one point like to take some piano lessons......but I don't know when I'll ever have time for that! So I wouldn't know where to begin as far as ideas on what videos or books to check out.

Thanks for the love also.....I try to help out when I can. Holla at me when you're ready to make that move.....and good luck!

Nov 24, 2002
www.5150xo.com
No doubt homie imma hit you up in a couple months about them beats. I was tryin to write somethin to that beat you posted and i got a first verse and a hook but i diddent find out about the contest till yesterday so maby if you do another contest i can try to get down on it. Well thanks for the help homie