Matthew Stafford is getin paid

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 22, 2007
NEW YORK – The Detroit Lions agreed to terms with Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford on a six-year, $78 million deal that includes an NFL-record $41.7 million guaranteed, sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. The deal represents the largest amount of guaranteed money for any player – rookie or veteran – in NFL history, exceeding the $41 million in guaranteed that DT Albert Haynesworth received from Washington at the beginning of free agency this offseason.

Stafford and Haynesworth are the only players to top the $40 million guaranteed threshold.

Two sources confirmed that Stafford had agreed to terms with Detroit but had not yet signed the deal as of Friday night. The Lions had been intent on having the top pick signed in advance of Saturday’s NFL draft. They had reached an agreement with Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry earlier in the week as a contingency, according to published reports, but their intent all along was to select Stafford.

Stafford will be the ninth quarterback in the past 12 years to be selected No. 1 overall, and the 17th since the AFL and NFL established a combined draft in 1967.

There also were rumors as of late Friday that St. Louis planned to select QB Mark Sanchez of USC with the No. 2 overall pick, but those reports are far more tenuous and have not been confirmed.

The Lions went an NFL-record 0-16 last season, while the Rams won just two games in 2008.

Jan 28, 2005
yeah that's pretty fucking ridiculous. I'll put dollars to dimes Stafford's career wont be anything near what Matt Ryan's will be for the next 8 seasons. I don't think Stafford will be considered a "bust", but he better get that ball of REAL quick and REAL accurate considering our pass protection is garbage. The guy has a good arm, but with 41.7M guaranteed he needs to put our franchise on his back. If he can pass for 150 yards/game all the seats in Ford Field will stay filled.

It seems most people are convinced Sanchez is the best prospect out of the two to have a great NFL career... so what's the idea behind paying Stafford all this money? The business side of sports pisses me off sometimes. I mean all the times.