Many NFL teams struggling financially, lockout possible

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Bisciotti: Many NFL teams struggling financially, lockout possible

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said Wednesday that several NFL owners are facing a financial shortfall that could create "long-term problems for the league" and ultimately result in a lockout.
As the Ravens prepare for a 2010 season without a salary cap, Bisciotti hinted that the NFL could shut down in March 2011 if the players union doesn't make concessions in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement.

Speaking at a news conference in which Ravens officials looked back at last season and ahead to 2010, Bisciotti insisted that many of the 32 NFL teams are struggling to finish in the black.

"I've got partners out there right now whose teams are making less money than their linebackers," Bisciotti said. " I think we've got an acute problem here with the general profitability of the teams. We always knew this was not a big cash-flow business, but when you've got guys like Jacksonville tarping up 10,000 seats to stop blackouts, when you've got teams that are voluntarily staying at the minimum of what they have to spend on the salary cap in order to not go upside down financially, then we already have a structural problem."

Four years ago, the league and players union signed a CBA that Bisciotti labeled "a bad deal" for the owners.

"That puts us in the unenviable position of this thing ending in a lockout as opposed to a strike," he said. "There's no cash flow. If we don't get this thing back to the point that teams have enough cash flow ... then there's long-term problem for the league. We're going to have to address that."

Ravens president Dick Cass said the club is "doing well compared to other teams around the league. But just because we're still doing well in revenues, that doesn't mean we're generating a lot of profit."

Although there's a good chance there will not be a salary cap in place in 2010, that doesn't mean a team will be allowed to spend at will. And even by spending the maximum, that won't guarantee a spot in the playoffs.
Using baseball's New York Yankees as an example, Bisciotti wondered aloud about the payoff on an unbridled spending spree.

"It certainly doesn't show up in the standings," he said. "If I'm a Yankees fan, I'm upset we're not winning 130 games with the roster that they have and the money that they pay out. I think it's a disgrace they only beat the average team by 10 games in the standings with three times the money. I'd fire that GM. You don't need a GM. All you have to do is buy the last Cy Young Award winner every year."

Bisciotti, 49, has been the Ravens' owner for 10 years, during which the team has regularly sold out its home games. Despite that, he still has concern about the league's future.

"We want to be at a point where teams are not selling off their star players in their fourth year because they can't afford to sign them to that second contract," Bisciotti said.

As the Ravens enter an offseason with an uncertain financial environment and no salary cap, general manager Ozzie Newsome is eager to work within the system to enhance their wide receivers and fortify their pass rush.
"The restrictions put on the Baltimore Ravens are put on 31 other ballclubs, too," Newsome said. "We've got to be better than the other 31 clubs in order to make our football team under these circumstances. I look at it as a challenge. It puts the pressure on us to dig down deep to improve our football team."

The Ravens went 9-7 this season and reached the second round of the playoffs before being eliminated by the Indianapolis Colts, who will play in this Sunday's Super Bowl. Bisciotti said the improvement of second-year quarterback Joe Flacco will be the key to Baltimore's success in 2011.
Flacco's ability to excel could be helped by new quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn -- and the addition of a few new targets.

"Do we want to improve at the wide receiver position? Yes, because that will further enhance our running game," Newsome said. "Having a playmaker on the outside will make Joe Flacco become a better quarterback."

May 9, 2002
A bad econmy fucks with everyone, even the NFL.

Of course, if they would stop giving their players 100's of millions of dollars, they might make some damn money. Joe Flacco gets paid more than any doctor or teacher that exists...to play football. Yeah.

Apr 25, 2002
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he hopes the pessimism from the players' union regarding labor talks doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Speaking on Friday at his annual Super Bowl-week news conference, Goodell said fans "expect solutions ... and we should deliver" on a new collective bargaining agreement.

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday the union views the chance of a lockout in 2011 as a "14" on a scale of 1 to 10 after the current labor agreement expires.

"I sure hope he's wrong," Goodell said. "Right now, we don't need a lot of focus on that."

Goodell has also said he doesn't agree with the union's claim that owners are insisting on an 18 percent player pay cut.

"The players should be paid fairly and they should be paid well. And I assure you that they will," Goodell said.

The commissioner said there is no contingency plan for the 2012 Super Bowl, on the chance that no football is played in 2011.

"We still have a lot of time and a lot of important opportunities here to structure something that makes sense for everybody," Goodell said.

On other issues, the commissioner said:

_Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth will be reinstated after the Super Bowl from his suspension for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk.

_The culture in the league is changing regarding concussions, and there's now more awareness that such injuries are serious. There's more work to do to deal with concussions, Goodell said, but the league has made progress to ensure that players who suffer such injuries receive immediate medical help.

_Attendance at Jacksonville Jaguars' home games remains a concern, and with crowds of around 40,000, "you can't continue to have an NFL franchise."

_Extending the season to 17 or 18 games will be part of the discussion when talks with the union resume.

_The prospect of a cold-weather Super Bowl at the new Giants Stadium in 2014 is "interesting." There would be real benefits if the owners chose to award that game to the new stadium, Goodell said.

_The NFL is still eyeing a return to Mexico. Arizona and San Francisco held the league's first regular-season game outside the United States in Mexico in 2005, and playing there remains on the radar because "it's good for the NFL."

_He likes the league's oft-criticized overtime rule as it is.

Apr 25, 2002
_Attendance at Jacksonville Jaguars' home games remains a concern, and with crowds of around 40,000, "you can't continue to have an NFL franchise."
Cough LA Cough

_Extending the season to 17 or 18 games will be part of the discussion when talks with the union resume.
So you want to lower player pay, but make them play an even longer season? GTFO

_The NFL is still eyeing a return to Mexico. Arizona and San Francisco held the league's first regular-season game outside the United States in Mexico in 2005, and playing there remains on the radar because "it's good for the NFL."
They should be playing in Mexico instead of London every year it makes so much more sense.

_He likes the league's oft-criticized overtime rule as it is.
And that’s just one more reason why he sucks.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^Thats true, and u know they're gonna score no matter what.

i read this idea for the NFL that i liked. Each team bids, yard by yard, (in their own portion of the field) to receive the ball. Like the team that wants the ball will bid to start on the 49, then if the other team wants to receive, they say they'll start at the 48. it keeps going until one of the teams realizes they don't want to have the ball on their own 2 yard line.