makin tracks on the PC

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
i have Acid 4.0, Soundforge, CoolEdit Pro 2.0, fruityloops.......

what can i do to produce the best quality possilbe with the PC and software??? on cooledit and soundforge, what effects/filters are the best, to achieve a pro-sounding track??? any advice would be appreciated....ANY TIPS for PC recording would appreciated.........thanks

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Good sounding vocals are going to start with a good recording environment (i.e. sound proof booth or some sort of isolation booth)......a decent mic & pre-amp......a decent soundcard......and knowing when your vocals are peaking during recording (aka "red lining") and about to sound like TOTAL CRAP! Add some compression and effects (like reverb & delay) to sweeten them up.

Hopefully wherever you're gettin' your beats from the person who's doin' them is mixing them well enough to achieve the best sound possible.

Mix these 2 elements together and you should have as close as you're gonna get to a "pro-sounding" track.

I would advise gettin' yourself a copy of Cubase or some other MULTI-TRACK/SEQUENCING program......you'll eventually need to anyway.

Jun 2, 2002
right now, i just try to do little things to help....like, i record with headphones on, and I try to keep a distance from the mic, to avoid redlining. What kinds of reverb/delay should I use, there seems like there's a LOT to choose from on those programs. Any other tips for PC recording????

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
It'll be along long time until you get professional sounding music. (someone had to say it, don't make me out to be the bad guy, lmao)

Keep your mixing simple, don't go overboard. Don't use heavy reverbs, keep it light and soft but try to make it as effective as possible. You need to experiment, we can't tell you how.

Exactly what kind of equipment are you working with? Mic, soundcard, preamps/mixers....

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
SPORADIC said:
Also,whats a pre-amp?
Professional mics need 48v phantom power in order to work.....pre-amps supply this power. They can be very basic and built into your mixer......or they can be very complicated pieces of outboard gear with compressors, de-essers and EQ built into them. It all depends on how much you need or want to spend.

And like Samos said......don't go crazy with your effects. And do yourself a favor and look up "MULTI-TRACK RECORDING" on the internet and understand it. You don't want to do shit the Mickey Mouse way forever.......you'll never go platinum! lol

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
3xLaZY said:
what can i do to produce the best quality possilbe with the PC and software??? on cooledit and soundforge, what effects/filters are the best, to achieve a pro-sounding track??? any advice would be appreciated....ANY TIPS for PC recording would appreciated.........thanks
Ask 20 people you will get 20 different answer's.

Like D-sane said, READ EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!
I cant stress that enough. Check your local JC see if they have any classes on recording and TAKE THEM. If not call around to local studios and see if you can sit in on some of there session's. Some studio's will teach you also, but at a $$$$$$$. I do this from time 2 time, I took some local classes at JC years ago and then took private lession's at the teachers personal studio ( Very, Very nice studio I may add ) I just pay for 1 hour of regular studio time, but he's a coo cat well be there for days and he only makes me pay for the 1 hour, I cant knock that he's gotta get his money too...........

Jun 2, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
It'll be along long time until you get professional sounding music. (someone had to say it, don't make me out to be the bad guy, lmao)

Keep your mixing simple, don't go overboard. Don't use heavy reverbs, keep it light and soft but try to make it as effective as possible. You need to experiment, we can't tell you how.

Exactly what kind of equipment are you working with? Mic, soundcard, preamps/mixers....
yeah- i know im not gonna be coming with some top notch sounding shit....i just want to know what i can do to maximize the quality, with what i've got. I have a 128mb Sound Blaster card...my mic was like 40 dollars, it has noise reduction...but it's nothing special.