Magic Johnson owning part of the Sonics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
NEW YORK - Los Angeles Lakers Hall of Famer Magic Johnson said he would like to relinquish his ownership stake in the soon-to-be NBA champions and help build another team, possibly the Seattle SuperSonics, into a winner.

Johnson told The News Tribune his strong relationship with Sonics principal owner Howard Schultz makes Seattle an attractive destination.

"I'll tell you something, that has been my goal now, to build a franchise to a championship," said Johnson. "I'm on the top now (with the Lakers), and we are going to be on the top. But I would love to help Seattle ... come up and get to the top. That's what it's all about now, because I need challenges in my life. And that would be a challenge.

"I think that if I ever left the Lakers, it would have to be with somebody like Howard. I know he wants to win so bad. I think Howard is the best. You couldn't end up with a better owner because he is so competitive. That's why we are a natural fit."

Both Schultz and Johnson said they have not had substantive discussions about Johnson joining the organization, only talks along the lines of "what if." Schultz did say in a telephone interview on Monday he would love to have Johnson involved with the Sonics.

"From time to time, he has mentioned the interest he would have in having a more active role with another team," Schultz said. "He can't have that with the Lakers because of their infrastructure and because of Phil Jackson's role.

"I would always welcome and be interested in the intrigue that he has in being part of the the Sonics."

Neither Schultz nor Johnson has scheduled meetings specifically to discuss the topic, but Johnson said: "It may eventually get to that some kind of way. I don't know how that is going to happen. Maybe a story like this, maybe something else, I don't know. But I'm sure we'll talk."

Johnson owns 5 percent of the Lakers, which was worth an estimated $403 million according to Forbes magazine in January, the most valuable franchise in the league.

If Johnson were to join Seattle, the Lakers would have to buy out his investment. Both Johnson and Schultz said Johnson would become a part owner of the Sonics. Forbes estimated the Sonics' value at $200 million, 18th in the league.

Also, both made it clear if Johnson were to become a part of the Sonics, he would not replace either CEO Wally Walker or general manager Rick Sund. He would a Also, both made it clear if Johnson were to become a part of the Sonics, he would not replace either CEO Wally Walker or general manager Rick Sund. He would assume another title that would emphasize his basketball knowledge and dynamic personality.

"It would be amazing," Johnson said, "because you have both the best two owners and recruiters in the game. You have to have recruiters now in this game, and I say that because of free agency. You got to recruit people to come. That's why (the Lakers) are better than everybody, in terms of Jerry West. We use Jerry, we use Dr. (Jerry) Buss, we use myself, we use Bill Sharman, and the players are like, 'Wow, all these guys really want me?'

"I know talent, I know guys, I know that wherever I end up, I know the players already, I know that I could persuade them to come wherever I am going to be."

Gary Payton's contract expires next summer, and the Sonics plan on pursuing free agents. Their main objective is New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd.

"Oh yeah, for sure," Johnson said when asked about Kidd being a good fit for the Sonics. "Howard has a relationship with him. I have a strong relationship. That's how you have to do it. It's got to be more than money. That's what people fail to realize in the game today. Because free agency is so huge today, relationships are what's going to do it."

Schultz and Johnson were introduced by Seattle native Ken Lombard, the president of Magic Johnson Enterprises, who played basketball at the University of Washington under Marv Harshman.

The Starbucks chairman and the retired Lakers star have built a 6-year-old business relationship and a friendship that has deepened to the point where their families vacation together. They currently own 33 Starbucks stores together.

When Schultz prepared to purchase the Sonics, he sought Johnson's advice.

"Clearly, he was one of my primary advisers about what life would be like in the NBA, people that I could trust," Schultz said. "We talked about the talent on our team. He has been a big help."

Now, the relationship could take another step.

"It is a great situation," Johnson said. "I don't know any way to say it other than to say I would love to do it, and Seattle is beautiful, and a great basketball town and a great sports town."

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i saw that magic wanted to do that on the news last week. he'd have to give up his ownership of the lakers. i don't know if he's ready to do that.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
DUNCAN HASNT DECIDED WHETHER HE'S GOING TO ORLANDO OR STAYING IN SAN ANT,IF HE GOES TO ORLANDO ,THEY WILL BE IN THE NBA FINALS NEXT YEAR NO DOUBT,WITH MCGRADY,GRANT HILL,PATRICK EWING AND DUNCAN GODAMN GOOD ASS TEAM...HE HASNT DECIDED YET,JASON KIDD SAYS HE WANTS TO COME TO THE SPURS SO HE MIGHT STAY...