Living with a room mate?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2004
I'm moving into an apartment with a good friend of mine, and folks keep telling me that once you live with a friend it's hard not to fight.

I'm only going to pay 287.50 a month for rent since it's split between she and I. And soon I'll have my loans coming in. I gotta pay for my cell phone, and we're splitting the cable/internet bill.

Part of me wishes I could live with the folks until I get my loans paid off, but who knows how long that will take..

How soon after you move do you think you will need your change of address form carried around with you? When I get to the apartment, I'll have to get that done..

Just looking for words of wisdom from anyone who had to share an apartment with a friend, and if you worked out any systems.

My room mate has a bad habit of just throwing new mail anywhere and I don't want to lose bills. And she keeps wanting to put our money together towards unnecessary items. She's got more money put away than I do, so I think she doesn't understand my hesitance to buy a China Cabinet for the china we don't have yet that she also wants to buy. I don't see a reason for it. We get along great but have different ideas of what is essential...

We'll be living on Ramen I think. I can cook cheap. I just need to convey to her that we won't be ordering pizza everyday. And she has a habit of walking around naked in the apartment and if I have guests I have to warn her in advance. ( Which is understandable. But still..)

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
I am the hardest person in the world to live with, and my hubby and I just let his aunt move in with us. Its hard to share your private space with someone, especially someone you are close to. People you are close to tend to think they can take certain liberties, or get away with shit the next muthafucka wouldn't. There is nothin like comin home from a rough day at work to see someone who has quite obviously been posted on the couch all day, too. I wish we would have thought the whole 'roommate' thing through a little bit more before we made that decision.

May 15, 2002
don't worry you're bound to funk with your roommate over dumb shit like food, bills, money, cleaning, etc.

its basically ineveitable - I went through a period of 6 months where i didnt say anything to mine

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
IF you and your friend are tight, there shouldnt be too much problems as long as you both have respect. And yes respect is sometimes an inconvience when having roommates whether they friend or stranger. Maybe you want to turn your music up after midnight, but that person has to work at 6am or vice versa it 2pm but you have a roommate that has a graveyard shift and is sleeping.

then youre gonna find out shit about that person you had no idea about and depending on what it is and who you and they are, thats when shit gets awkward and complicated. I wont call it a mistake, but I moved in with a square I thought was cool as a fan, and he can be, but I only consider that folk a roommate now and not a friend. that really sucked to say, but its how I feel.
anywhooo enough of this girly shairng of feelings. get that change of address to the post office atleast acouple weeks before the move, cause ive had times where i lagged on it and didnt get my bills for like 6 weeks. that sucked. and you gotta tell eveyone you owe moneies too because they might not get the word from the post office and they dont care where you live they want just the money or theres penalties.

and keep that half shit to bills and rent. fuck anything else.

Sep 28, 2004
Yea, I'm not feeling a china cabinet.. but we don't have a kitchen table yet and she wants to go halfie on it.. She wants something cool looking and I am looking at economy tables and chair sets.

We'll make it work. It's about compromise and not buying expensive items because they "look cool".

KALYN

Sicc OG
Dec 11, 2002
Cheaptimes said:
and keep that half shit to bills and rent. fuck anything else.

.. for real... unless you and this "friend" of yours ending up getting married and are together for life.. lol.. stick to paying 1/2 the bills..

I've had roomies a couple different times in my life and it never really worked out.. I mean, once with my cousin- SHE was a pig.. never picked up after herself and always had her friends over that didnt appreciate shit.. she'd leave lights on all over the house- just stupid shit that would get us into knock-down-drag-out-fights.. lol.. we're still hella tight but nah.. I would neverrrrrrr everrrrr live with that woman again.
I lived with one of my girls when her fiance passed right as they were building their new home.. I agreed to stay with her for one year until she could re-fi her house and get the payments lowered... I stayed upstairs in my part of the house- but we still argued over who's turn it was to cook (I worked allll the time, still do) because she wanted my attention just like a husband would... dinner time was when she wanted to talk about the house, the yard (another thing we allllways fought about) because I would always pay the neighbor when it was my turn to mow, she always mowed when it was her turn.. she didnt like the neighbor, blah blah blah.. she worked a straight 8-5 then got laid off.. but when she was workin' I had to be hella quiet after she was in bed.. after she was laid off she didnt give me the same respect... she was my girl- we were really tight for years and years.. but after we lived together it just really wasnt the same..

Just lay down the rules from the get... be respectful of each other's personal space.. and GOOD LUCK!

Oct 9, 2004
yeah fuck that roomate shit....never works out....i can't live with ppl in general if i lived with a roomate more than a 6 months id prolly shoot em....i just got done livin with a stupid roomate in Cald-ah-well i got my own spot now roomates always end up being bitches and results in fights and you moving out....

May 8, 2002
I share a house with my roomate (SAMSAVAGE) the only thing we fight about is "food" sometimes I eat sum of his shit, and the other thing we fight about is "beer and LIQ" he always be drinkin my shit. The only thing we went half on together besides bills is our American Bulldog. Its coo though cuz we dont get sick of each other because we barely see each other. Sooo when we are both home at the same time we just kick it like we used to before we got this house.

You have to be carefull who you live with though. Didnt (Kadafi) who used to post on here live with some other guy who also posted on the siccness and the other guy I cant remeber his name killed (Kadafi). :confused:

Apr 26, 2002
honesly cc, if u and her havin disagreements ALREADY, even before u moved in together, u might wanna reconsider movin in w/her, cuz it's only gonna get worse.

if you HAVE to move in wit her (financial reasons) then u need to sit wit her, jus u and her, and sit down and lay down rules. cover EVERYTHING, so when she does somethin u don't agree wit , it would be easier to confront her bout it (example, walkin around naked around ur guests). like i had an old roomate and we agreed no pets in the apt, he went out and bought a fuccin dog a few months after, it was easier to confront him about it, cuz we originally agreed upon it.

its tha little shit thats gonna come between u and her, like drinkin up all tha kool aid and not makin more, washin dishes, etc. like they say, u don't kno tha real in somebody till u live wit em. but like kalyn said, it's all bout respect. jus respect her and hopefully she'll respect u.

oh year, make sure both ur names are on tha lease, so if she does skip out, she'll be held partly responsible for it. fold.

Jul 9, 2002
I was thining of doing the roomate thing too but I decided against it because I work graveyard and dont want no one running up no bills when I'm not home then have to pay half. So I found my own spot and I think I'm better off living by myself.

I agree, no half on furniture, you cant cut it in half and split it when you leave. craiglist is your friend like others have said.

Apr 25, 2002
Everyone always starts out as friends, but if you move in with eachother you guys wont be friends by the time you guys move out. Happens everytime.

Sep 12, 2002
MeloTrauma said:
Everyone always starts out as friends, but if you move in with eachother you guys wont be friends by the time you guys move out. Happens everytime.
after reading this comment, my only comment is that there is no comment needed on my part, besides this one.

Sep 28, 2004
I moved in today. Our cats don't get along. Uh oh. And I need more storage room. Problem number one, she doesn't have food in the apartment. Just junk food. And she hasn't gotten my front door key made. Just the apartment one and the mail key. So I can't go out food shopping unless she is home, and she is not home. She is at a party. Tonight I eat granola bars for dinner.