LIL WYTE INFO..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 23, 2003
Lil Wyte weaves local influences into national rap renown

"A step up" is how Memphis rapper Lil Wyte refers to his entree into the world of major labels, Phinally Phamous.

The album, which came out on Tuesday, is the latest project to team him with producers DJ Paul and Juicy "J" of Three 6 Mafia fame. It's also the first release in a July-brokered deal with Warner Music Group to put out select music on Triple Six's Hypnotize Minds label (a new record by Frayser Boy is also in the wings).

Released through Warner subsidiary Asylum, Phinally Phamous builds on the indie success of Lil Wyte's breakout debut, 2003's Doubt Me Now, which has sold close to 150,000 copies regionally, according to distributor Select-O-Hits.

And with lead single, "I Sho Will," Lil Wyte -- a strong, authoritative new voice in the rap game -- has the best kind of calling card, one that bears the trademark Three 6 stamp of banging beats, aggressive chanting and catchy hooks. Expect folks to "tear da club up" with this one as well.

"I found myself on this album," says the 22-year-old artist (real name, Patrick Lanshaw), who performs on Saturday at the New Daisy Theatre. "The first go-round, I was just anxious and excited."

He had reason to be. Having passed Paul and Juicy a demo tape of his former group, SFC (Shelby Forest Clique), Lil Wyte soon found himself working with two of his musical heroes. Triple Six was the soundtrack to his Frayser upbringing, after all.

"Growing up in the hood, growing up in Frayser, that's all I was around -- gangsta rap," he says. "I realized that Three 6 Mafia lived 15 minutes away, and they were putting it down. ... It's like working with some magicians. Every night, they make some magic happen."

Now that he's taken his talent to a national level, Lil Wyte expects the inevitable Eminem comparisons. It matters not that his "get buck" Bluff City approach has little in common even with Southern peers Haystak and Bubba Sparxxx, let alone that of the Detroit celebrity.

"I get it from every deejay everywhere I go," says Lil Wyte. "Basically, me and Eminem got two completely different styles, two different parts of the country. They just need to listen. ... I know I'm labeled as a white rapper, but to me I'm just a rapper -- it's my job."

More than fame, family is Lil Wyte's motivation. That includes two daughters, McKenzie, 3, and Cali, 4 months; partner Ashley Hodges ("the love of my life"); and supportive parents Dean and Renee Lanshaw. Dad even fronted the money for Lil Wyte's demo despite the content being hardcore gangsta rap.

"He just saw I was talented, and he was ready to back it whatever it was. He's a wonderful dad."

And despite his album title, becoming "phamous" isn't Lil Wyte's top priority (though he admits he had to move from Frayser to Cordova because "It started getting a little too hot in the neighborhood for me"). He'll take the fame if it comes, but not over what's truly important.

"I'm just gonna let God do His thing with it, and hopefully I'll get what I want out of life. As long as I've got a roof over my little kids' heads and food in my belly, and enough money to party on when I want to party and go out and buy what I want to buy, I'm all right. I ain't trying to rule the world yet."

Lil Wyte has a CD release party on Saturday at the New Daisy Theatre, 330 Beale. Doors open at 8 p.m. for the 18-and-older only show, which benefits MIFA. Two cans of food get you in.