Legion Records Signs with Asylum (sp?)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 13, 2003
www.dluxdesigns.com
here is the article. this is huge news for chicago and the whole midwest.

THE LEGION RECORDS SIGNS DEAL WITH
INDUSTRY HEAVYWEIGHT ASYLUM RECORDS

- Chicago Rap Powerhouse Has 16 Projects
- MTV's "My Block" And Tours On Deck
- Solo Album From Do or Die's Belo 10/17

After becoming the hottest new independent urban label in Chicago by releasing Do Or Die's sizzling 2005 album D.O.D, a Do or Die DVD and a D.O.D chopped and screwed album, The Legion Records has secured a new multi-year, multi-album deal with rap industry powerhouse Asylum Records (a new unit of Warner Music Group), also home to rap juggernauts Swishahouse Records (Paul Wall, Mike Jones) and Rap-A-Lot Records (Pimp C, Bun B ), Diplomat Records (Cam'ron), among others.

"Now that I have the opportunity to work with Asylum and the two very talented executives; Ron Spaulding and Todd Moscowitz (the two heads of Asylum Records), Asylum gives my label the power to win in this business with all my new releases," says Rudolph Acosta, Founder and CEO of The Legion Records. "I am in a great position to do some serious damage to this business. I had to evaluate what would be the best deal for my label within the Warner Music Group. Atlantic is really more of an artist driven company, Asylum is more independent label driven and really understands street music. Working with this new division of Warner Music Group will give me the tools I need for The Legion to take it to another level."

The Legion is already reaping the benefits of its new union with Asylum. The label's second full-length release is The Truth, the solo album debut from Do Or Die's most charismatic member, Belo. The album hits stores October 17 and features Ric Jilla, Crucial Conflict, Johnny P., Malik Yusef and the Outlawz, as well as production from some of Chicago's finest: The Legendary Traxster, Wildstyle, Sound Master T, Cayex Illa and Mush Millions.

Belo will also grace the covers of Murder Dog and Crunck magazine, and print ads will run in XXL, Murder Dog and Ozone to promote the album. Belo's video and online promotions kicked into full swing in August. The MTV's "My Block" series just completed a feature with Belo and Do or Die in its upcoming episode for Chicago. MTV Jamz has just added the "So Exclusive" video to rotation.

The Legion's other acts include Ric Jilla, who had the underground smash "On The What." Jilla just shot his second video "Bounce Something" and is about to go on an all out promotional blitz. Ric and Cap 1 have been performing on the Dub Car Show Tour in selected markets (Chicago, Detroit, Houston, and St. Louis). Ric's album is slated to come out in the second quarter of 2007. Cap 1, who has been a legend in the Chicago streets, is also preparing his new project for a 2007 release. He has been in the studio with Mr. Lee, Drum Squad and others.

Legion artists have been making the rounds this year at the First Annual Ozone Awards, Global Mixx and the Core DJ Conference, as well the Black Expo in Indianapolis, Urban Network, and the recent Dub Magazine Tour.

"I had three pieces of product that were released in 2005 and now in 2006, I have 16 pieces of product ready to go," Acosta says. "I just signed Cap 1, Belo as a solo artist, former Twista collaborator Turtle Banxx, Payroll and getting ready to push Ric Jilla to the top. I'm also keeping Do Or Die in the lab with Traxster and I just landed a deal with Paul Wall to do all of The Legion's chopped and screwed albums. Paul just completed chopping and screwing Belo's album."

To this end, The Legion is building its own state of the art recording studio, enabling its roster to record seven days a week. "The future is to be self contained -- studio, touring, publishing, concert business, and films/TV. Just wait till you see the innovative tactics that we make use of with www.thelegionrecords.com," states Acosta. "You need to be prepared for the digital era. The market is changing and its completely different in 2006 than it was in 1996."

The Legion has revived the legendary Gangster Boogie series with D.J. Boogie Boy (WBBM B-96 Mixer and member of the Heavy Hitter DJ Crew), who re-established the series and assembled The Legion Records Mix Tape Volume 2. Mixtape legend Sean Mac and Ric Jilla are currently in the lab recording Ric Jilla's new Midwest Take Over mixtape. Cap 1's new mixtape Got It 4 Cheap Volume 2 with Sean Mac has already been burning up the streets!!!

The Legion is working with concert promoters in Chicago throughout the country to establish Chicago's own Belly Of The Beast tour, which will possibly feature Shawnna, Twista, Crucial Conflcit, Qualo, The Legendary Traxster, Do Or Die, Ric Jilla, Cap 1, Turtle Banxx, Payroll, Johnny P, Rhymefest, Malik Yuseff, etc.

With all of this activity, it's no wonder The Legion's mastermind Rudolph Acosta is determined to make his company and his city shine. "I ain't here to play any games with no one," Acosta says. "It's whatever, whenever, however. I'm here to win it. Either you're workin' with me or against me. There is no in between. I will show the world the power of Chicago's streets. Period."

This announcement is brought to you courtesy of
The Legion Records & ChiBangin.com - Chicago's Official Rap Site