LEASE OR EXCLUSIVE BEATS?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Would you rather buy beats leased or exclusive for your promotional material?

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2009
In today's world, social networks allow many independent artist to distribute songs, albums, and mixtapes for free. So why spend large amounts on "exclusive beats" for the music you distribute for free? Why not save money and lease the beat until your ready for the album you plan on having a big budget for.

feedback is appreciated

Apr 7, 2004
I LEASE BEATS,BUY BEATS,AND MAKE BEATS,IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE PROJECT. I GUESS IF IT'S A ALBUM A ARTIST IS GOING TO WANT TO OWN THERE PRODUCT. BEATS SHOULD ONLY BE LEASED IF IT'S FOR A MIXTAPE OR DEMO. AT THE SAME TIME THIS LEASING GAME HAS KINDA FUCKED SHIT UP CAUSE NOW EVERYBODY WITH A 9 TO 5 AND HOME STUDIO HAS ACCESS TO SOME WHAT QUALITY BEATS. THE AVERAGE ARTIST IS GOING TO LEASE A BEAT BEFORE THEY PURCHASE ONE BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER.

Mar 22, 2005
www.myspace.com
For my 2nd album I produced half of it and leased half of it. I wanted a variety of sounds on it so I didn't want to produce the entire thing and leasing was the perfect thing to do because I can't pay $500 for a single beat. The beats I produced on it are as good as the beats I leased so it wouldn't make sense to pay for a beat like that.

Sep 17, 2007
personally i'd be pissed if i bought a beat that 5 other people bought. I feel like all sales are final and nobody else deserves to buy it once its sold.. I make beats and buy beats. I buy beats more than usual now. But one thing i hate is when other producer try to hold on to their beats like they just found a rare diamond in africa. Just let the shit go bruh. It aint as hot as you think.

Just my opinion.

@Localstar907 your beat was slappin tho from what i heard at DEO's.

Apr 7, 2004
personally i'd be pissed if i bought a beat that 5 other people bought. I feel like all sales are final and nobody else deserves to buy it once its sold.. I make beats and buy beats. I buy beats more than usual now. But one thing i hate is when other producer try to hold on to their beats like they just found a rare diamond in africa. Just let the shit go bruh. It aint as hot as you think.

Just my opinion.

@Localstar907 your beat was slappin tho from what i heard at DEO's.
THANKS BRO.. IM OUT IN SAC RIGHT NOW IF YOU AND YO PEOPLE WANTED ME TO BRING YALL A SNIPPET CD..

Jan 31, 2008
soundcloud.com

Just my opinion.
Beats in rare cases can be great enough that
they deserve to be held on to. I have a couple.

But in most cases it's just the person's arrogance talking...

It's about making money bruh... the time it takes to make a GOOD, SOLID beat can range from 1-6 hours... lease it once your salary is 20 bucks / however many hours you spent. Lease it 10 times and your pay is 200 / # of hours.

You see how that works?

If your beats are hot enough... leases bring in the dough!
Plus most people can't afford 200-300+ for a beat!
So producers will lease out the hot shit repeatedly.

Either its getting a new sound from a leased beat
or the rapper goes n tries to kill an industry beat

Rappers need to start checking for GOOD PRODUCERS
instead of buying cookie cutter shit from all these amateurs

Amateurs sellin shit for 10 bucks with GARBAGE beats.
People will buy it if it has bass and hard snares and claps...

Artists need to pick their producers better!

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
i think its faulty. and i think the majority of producers online doing the leasing thing and selling beats for $10 bucks and shit care more about money then the quality of their product or the quality of people using their product.

Jan 27, 2009
So far thanks for participating in the poll. I just wanted to see everyone's opinion. Obviously there's money to be made in the lease market. It's something to consider and I have my reasons.

Keep the poll and thread active!

Artists need to pick their producers better!
Cosign!

can someone explain to me the leasing process and what it entails?
Basically:

A lease means you don't own the beat and can also be limited to how many times you distribute the finished song. They can also be sold more than once. Also, once a lease always a lease, so it can never become exclusive.

An exclusive means you own the beat and you can do what you want with it. BUT, there are different levels of exclusive rights depending on the terms of the contract.

ON ANOTHER NOTE THOUGH DEX BEATS ARE DOPE...
Thanks! I appreciate it.

But one thing i hate is when other producer try to hold on to their beats like they just found a rare diamond in africa. Just let the shit go bruh. It aint as hot as you think.
LOL! I feel you. I always tell producers new to the market that they need to pay a few dues first. Holding on to beats cause you want $500 to $1k for it is unnecessary for an upcoming producer. They'll never make progress. Give the beat wings and work on the next hot beat.

i think its faulty. and i think the majority of producers online doing the leasing thing and selling beats for $10 bucks and shit care more about money then the quality of their product or the quality of people using their product.
Dregs, really tho! Only a kid in a bedroom would sell beats for that low. LOL! BUT that's the game now and we have to overcome the competition by all means necessary.

Apr 7, 2004
50 CENT SONG"I GET MONEY" WAS A LEASE BEAT FIRST ON SOUNDCLICK... WHEN 50 DROPPED IT AND IT STARTED TO BLOW UP ALL KIND OF NO NAME RAPPERS CAME OUT THE WOOD WORK TALKING ABOUT THATS THERE BEAT AND 50 STOLE IT. WHEN THEY ONLY HAD LEASED IT