LCD vs plasma vs led for gaming

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2002
So I have a 47" LCD that is not working and I need to buy a new tv.

I want to cop this 65" Panasonic plasma from frys, I went and checked out the 60" version at Costco and it looked great.

LCD looks great for tv and gaming, what's up with led tvs? I'd like actual input from people who own and actual led LCD or plasma.

My main use for the tv will be movies and games .

Jul 25, 2007
Plasmas will sky rocket your electricity bill, LCDs look great for gaming and LEDs TV prices will drop in the future. Like when I bought a Sony 42" Plasma when they were first released for $3Gs. FML

Get a LCD.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
thats weird you say that cause every recent source ive read has said that plasma tv's power consumption is now on par with LCD tv's, and most plasma tv's are energy star rated the same or even better than most LCD's. at worst a plasma tv is going to cost you about $20 more a year in power... but LCD/LED tv's are usually $200-400 more for the same size screen as plasma... do the math. you arent saving anything by paying more upfront for an energy saving tv...

@ wt: i dont own a tv, but ive been doing a lot of reading. if you're going 50+ inches on a TV and using it for gaming and movies, then plasma is the optimum choice. plasmas have the best response times and the best dark levels. video games and movies THRIVE off of darks, thats how they get HD video games to look so good, with darks. i remember you told me that you dislike the soap opera effect though, where the image looks like youre watching a play or something. plasma tv's operate at 600hz compared to 120hz for most LCD tv's, so you will definitely get that ultra clear soap opera effect that you said you dislike if you go for a plasma and watch a lot of tv. LCD /LED tvs have the best brights. LCD / LED = best for watching or playing on in a room with a lot of light, lot of windows. plasmas = best when watching movies or playing video games in a dim room, or in the dark.

LED tv's are pretty expensive right now, LCD is the most common route that people choose at this moment. LED tv's right now are just LCD tv's that use LED's for backlighting, to save electricity. which is odd because they usually advertise that they have the best brights and the whitest whites.... then you basically cancel those features out by using the energy saving LED backlighting which cuts down the brightness to use less power.. LOL. i think you actually sacrifice some screen quality with LED tv's at the moment, unless you're buying a top of the line one for $2000+.

all in all you just got to compare them in person with your own eyes to see what you prefer. no matter what youre going to get a great tv. i prefer plasmas though, because playstation 3 games seem to be dark, movies seem to be dark, and plasmas are perfect for them. also i like the soap opera effect

May 4, 2002
thats weird you say that cause every recent source ive read has said that plasma tv's power consumption is now on par with LCD tv's, and most plasma tv's are energy star rated the same or even better than most LCD's. at worst a plasma tv is going to cost you about $20 more a year in power... but LCD/LED tv's are usually $200-400 more for the same size screen as plasma... do the math. you arent saving anything by paying more upfront for an energy saving tv...

@ wt: i dont own a tv, but ive been doing a lot of reading. if you're going 50+ inches on a TV and using it for gaming and movies, then plasma is the optimum choice. plasmas have the best response times and the best dark levels. video games and movies THRIVE off of darks, thats how they get HD video games to look so good, with darks. i remember you told me that you dislike the soap opera effect though, where the image looks like youre watching a play or something. plasma tv's operate at 600hz compared to 120hz for most LCD tv's, so you will definitely get that ultra clear soap opera effect that you said you dislike if you go for a plasma and watch a lot of tv. LCD /LED tvs have the best brights. LCD / LED = best for watching or playing on in a room with a lot of light, lot of windows. plasmas = best when watching movies or playing video games in a dim room, or in the dark.

LED tv's are pretty expensive right now, LCD is the most common route that people choose at this moment. LED tv's right now are just LCD tv's that use LED's for backlighting, to save electricity. which is odd because they usually advertise that they have the best brights and the whitest whites.... then you basically cancel those features out by using the energy saving LED backlighting which cuts down the brightness to use less power.. LOL. i think you actually sacrifice some screen quality with LED tv's at the moment, unless you're buying a top of the line one for $2000+.

all in all you just got to compare them in person with your own eyes to see what you prefer. no matter what youre going to get a great tv. i prefer plasmas though, because playstation 3 games seem to be dark, movies seem to be dark, and plasmas are perfect for them. also i like the soap opera effect
yeah i went in person to costco to check it out and it was dark and i figured it was because it was in a super lit store. i have a window right behind my couch and my lcd is lined up 20 ' straight ahead, theres blinds but i was gonna also put curtians up to darken the room.

the soap opera effect bugs the fuck outta me, it makes tv and movies not look real, i dont know how this will effect gaming either.

my original tv i wanted was a 80"sharp aquos but that was way out of my price range ( i expected more tax $). now im looking at 65" Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST30 3D 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV. i really just wanna tell them to hook up an xbox to the tvs i want so i can see how they will look.

i got until friday to figure out what i want. butch any input would be great, since ur ass has been talking about a tv forever.

i just wanted to see what everyone was gaming on.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
well panasonic plasma tv's are essentially pioneer. pioneer was the leading plasma tv company and had the top of the line super expensive plasmas before LCD's ever got big. pioneer tv's are fuckin legit, most people regard them as being the premier top of the line best tv; its the tv most rich fucks go after, actually, we got a huge pioneer tv at my work up in the loft lol. pioneer decided to get out of the flat panel tv business and panasonic now owns all that technology, so they are essentially the same tv's. but now theyre more reasonably priced. a panasonic viera st is fuckin legit. all the specs on that tv are solid top of the line and the tv looks amazing.

pretty much after comparing tvs forever this whole time, i decided on that exact series tv, except the 55 inch version.
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV

everything about that tv looks legit and pretty much is the one at the top of my wish list, and people on amazon have had nothing but amazing things to say about it. but i dont want to recommend it to you then you get it and hate it and blame me for wasting your couple grand or whatever it costs, lol. really the best thing you can do is study it in person. who knows, maybe they actually would let you hook an x-box up to it in the store and check it out. i mean i would if i worked there.

and if you get that tv i wouldnt so much as say you're just getting a good tv. more like you're turning your living room or wherever its going to be into a movie theatre, lol. especially if you add a surround sound system; the standard speakers are decent but not THX certified. and you may have to update the firmware cause of some brightness fluctuation issue, then take like 20 minutes to calibrate all the color settings (you could google a calibration guide pretty easily), and itd be pretty much as good as you can possibly get without spending thousands of dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...E774/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329128461&sr=8-4

also i have no idea what regular tv would look like on that tv. i only focused on video games, and movies only. and mainly blu-ray movies. basically i was going to use that tv for netflix, blu-ray movies, and the ps3, so whats perfect for me might not be perfect for you

May 4, 2002
see thats what i heard u need to update firmware which isnt a problem bc i always fuck with setting for the best picture. my 47 in lcd had a usb port to update shit and i could never get it to work.

i also heard vizio was bought out by sony and their new led with all the apps are good tvs, at one point a few years ago vizios were the #1 top selling tv.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
vizios are pretty solid, and theres been some really good deals on them.

if i were to get a LCD / LED i would get a vizio or samsung

really though you almost cant go wrong lol. youre going to get a good tv almost no matter what, unless you buy a loss leader model, which is a crappy tv that has a brand name slapped on it. but youre pretty much going to be choosing from one kind of great tv, against another kind of great tv

Jun 23, 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
you might want to be carefull taking a plasma home. from what i heard it can damage them if they are layed flat on the side. not 100% sure the extent of the damage but when i picked up my tv from the warehouse the employee helping me load it into my car asked if it was a plasma and when i asked why he told me not to lay them flat. ive also heard it from other sources as well

Jun 24, 2005
I'm still rockin' the 61" 1080p Samsung DLP, so I can't offer much advice lol.

I do love my TV though. Video games look great on it and Blu-Rays look amazing.

At the time we got the TV (about five years ago) you couldn't beat the price for the size.