lcd/plasma tvs

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i can tell you not to ever buy a plasma tv, the picture will bleed after like 2 years. On regular TVs 240 PPI is all you were ever gonna get, I believe the LCD TV changed that and the major resolution standards right now are 720 and 1040 or something close to that. If the TV is under like 32-37 inches you probably cant tell the difference between the 2 and the 1040 would only be if you are looking for a gigantic TV, 720 is still way better than those old school big screens.

Jan 5, 2006
lcd lasts longer, basically LCD for sports, and Plasma for movies, Plasma has a glass screen so if you are in a bright room you will get alot of glare, LCD has an anti glare coat so you wont notice any glare. as far as HERTZ (HZ) goez its for smoother pictures.. you wont get that blurr. Typical tv's are 60 hertz or cycle per second.. same shit.. new ones are 120.. some will notice some wont..

get 1080p for later although nothing really has 1080p yet except bluray movies. most video games and channels are 480-720p

i just bought a toshiba tv from best buy.. it was 1500 on their website, but 1089 at the store.. so make sure to check out the store for sales. I love the tv but hate the comcast HD, it sucks alot of audio skipping.. plus it doesnt help that they compress their HD to fit 3 channels instead of 2 per bandwidth, which results in a shittier picture.

Feb 10, 2006
it's hard to say what's better as long as they both give great results as far as showing you great defenition. i own a 42 inch plasma and it has lasted me for 1 year and a half and have no problem with it. buy a 5 year insurance plan and you don't have to worry about the screen "bleeding" on you cuz they'll just give you a new one. and it doesn't glare back at you like some people think. my only suggestion for you is wait til thanksgiving and spend the night at circuit city. the sales on any tv you want is worth it. the hundreds of dollars that you save you can buy the insurance and still save money.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
i got a plasma with warranty(so if i have any prob or one of my kids throws shit at it i got it covered) and i figure within the next 10 years im gonna cop a new one anyway so. im ride that one till the wheels fall off

Aug 9, 2006
lcd lasts longer, basically LCD for sports, and Plasma for movies, Plasma has a glass screen so if you are in a bright room you will get alot of glare, LCD has an anti glare coat so you wont notice any glare. as far as HERTZ (HZ) goez its for smoother pictures.. you wont get that blurr. Typical tv's are 60 hertz or cycle per second.. same shit.. new ones are 120.. some will notice some wont..

get 1080p for later although nothing really has 1080p yet except bluray movies. most video games and channels are 480-720p

i just bought a toshiba tv from best buy.. it was 1500 on their website, but 1089 at the store.. so make sure to check out the store for sales. I love the tv but hate the comcast HD, it sucks alot of audio skipping.. plus it doesnt help that they compress their HD to fit 3 channels instead of 2 per bandwidth, which results in a shittier picture.

THANK YOU...thats all i need to know....

what size did you get?

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i can tell you not to ever buy a plasma tv, the picture will bleed after like 2 years. On regular TVs 240 PPI is all you were ever gonna get, I believe the LCD TV changed that and the major resolution standards right now are 720 and 1040 or something close to that. If the TV is under like 32-37 inches you probably cant tell the difference between the 2 and the 1040 would only be if you are looking for a gigantic TV, 720 is still way better than those old school big screens.
1080p or 1080i.

I'd go with LCD. I've seen more than a few plasmas that my friends have and they look like shit unless you're playing video games. They may have had it on a fucked up setting but normal TV looked fucking horrible. I've seen normal TV on an LCD and it didnt' look nearly as poor.

I'm actually looking at getting a 48" LCD or so. My step dad wants me to help him pick one out for his and my mom's new place. He said his accountant told him to go to Magnolia Hi Fi and go into their back room. Apparently this accountant spent like $4-5K on his TV...some Pioneer or Panasonic "Elite." That's more money than you really need to spend though unless the TV was 70+ inches and came with surround sound, and HDDVD in the TV (I don't think that's done actually).

Get an LCD if you want it to last a little longer. If you leave a game on, you can burn shit into your Plasma (maybe the LCD too I dunno) but I'm going with LCD. And I'm about to hit up the Sony outlet store to see what they got too.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
You don't have a PS3 do you? There's more than a few games on there that run at 1080p. Including GTAIV. The sports games seem to run at 720 though.

Just out of curiosity, what do HD-DVDs run at? I would assume they run at 1080 but I don't know.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Magnavox...shit I haven't heard that name in years. I don't know much about them now, but I haven't heard anything. So that could be good or bad. I'd personally go with Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, or LG.

My boy just got a 50" LG and it's pretty dope. Plasma too, and it looks good. Way better than the Samsung that my other friend has (he got a 73" and moved the Samsung into his bedroom).

I measured out the area where the TV goes at my place...I think I can fit either a 48 or a 50 in there....I'll have to measure it again tonight.

Aug 7, 2003
http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=197155&catOid=-12867

why does this shit seem cheap compared to others that are like 42" and the same price?

name brand? anybody hear anything about that tv......?
ummm, go to the store best buy, circuit city, etc. compare the models in person. find the one you like and talk to person about it and make sure you still want it. then go online hunting for it and search the model number in google or amazon.com and you can usually get shit cheaper even free shipping on tv's too.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
^^I couldn't trust someone to ship my HDTV...lol...

Do you got Video Only in Cali? Up here that's a good spot for deals on TV related items. My boy got his 73" there, and his other 50" or 40-somethin whatever it was.

My other friend just paid like $1600 for his 50" LG.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Look out for big TVs with REALLY low prices...might be shitty.....that should be obvious tho...

and if they offer a warranty, get it, just in case.