Lane Kiffin to USC

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 7, 2003
Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has agreed in principle to become the next head coach at Southern California, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Chris Low on Tuesday.

Kiffin would replace Pete Carroll, who jumped to the NFL as coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach, led the Volunteers for only one season.

Sources told ESPN Kiffin will bring his father and defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin, and assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron to Southern Cal with him, and wide receivers coach Kippy Brown will be named interim head coach at Tennessee.

Kiffin has been on the move of late. He was 7-5 in his one season at Tennessee and 5-15 in one-plus seasons with the Raiders before being fired in September 2008.

He was a member of the USC coaching staff from 2001-06.

Several presumptive candidates to replace Carroll had dropped out of the running in the 24 hours after Carroll officially announced his resignation. Former USC linebacker Jack Del Rio committed to staying in Jacksonville on Tuesday, while Jeff Fisher and Mike Riley showed no public interest despite their Trojans ties.

The looming shadow of NCAA sanctions likely worried some coaches, but it can't change the fact USC offers an extremely attractive position with everything necessary to succeed right away: a rich local talent base, ample talent already on hand, a glowing history and a large, wealthy alumni base eager to keep winning.

Quarterback Matt Barkley has said that he is staying at Southern Cal despite the departures of the three coaches to which he was closest: Carroll, Jeremy Bates and Steve Sarkisian.

"It's just a great place to be, and a great place to live," he said. "We've got everything going for us."

Athletic director Mike Garrett was thought to be in charge of the search, but the elusive former Heisman Trophy winner has barely spoken in public for months, shying away from any chance of getting trapped into talking about the NCAA's various investigations into his beleaguered department.

Tailback Allen Bradford and Barkley were among the leaders who called a team meeting before the offseason conditioning program began Tuesday, while receiver Brice Butler and Barkley planned to call all of USC's prospective recruits to urge them to stick with the Trojans.

"I would just tell them what my dad told me: 'Don't commit because of a coach, because that can change,'" said Butler, who came to USC from Georgia. "You've got to commit because of a program, and this is USC."

Like Gatorade, That's G

Jan 18, 2006
thats fucked up, he talked all that shit about Florida and bounced on Tennessee after 1 season. Florida is gonna want to destroy Tennessee every time they play them.

Mar 8, 2008
i just hope he can get USC back into the Top 5 soon, cause thats the only real power house we have on the West Coast.. we have acouple other football programs on the come up but not there yet..

Oct 24, 2002
www.beekc.com

He prolly was tryin to leave after all that shit he talked.

some local sports guy posted this....and i agree

College coaches need to be held accountable. Here is my suggestion. When a coach is hired he lists say 3 jobs that he would leave the current one for he then can only leave for those jobs. If he lists none, he must stay the length of the contract.