Kinda OT : 9 Things Bout The Number Nine

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 31, 2007
Well I get Revolver magazine for free since I signed up at the MAYHEM fest... and this issue i just got today has a ton a shit on SLIPKNOT including a little side column listing 9 things about the number 9... Since this board is for Tech N9NE, and im bored, I figured I'd share.

1.EVEN BOWLING PINS?
A group of nine of anything is called an "ennead" pronounced "en-nee-ad" as in "Check out that eenead of guys with weird masks on!

2. TREEHUGGER
Nine is a significant number in Norse Mythology. The cheif Norse god, Odin, supposedly hanged himself from the branches of Yggdrasil, the "world tree" for nine days to learn about the mystery of the runic alphabet, still used today to tell fortunes

3. BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY
In classical music, the "Curse of the Ninth" refers to the superstition that a composer who completes nine stmphonies will soon die. Beethoven, who wrote his famous Ninth Symphony after going completely deaf and died soon after, is regaurded as the first victim of the curse.

4 DO MASKS COUNT AS 'UNKNOWN'?
Occultists speak of the legend of the Nine Unknown Men, sorcerers who have guarded the arcane knowledge of the world since ancient times.

5. WE ARE NOT A MUSE
The art loving pagens of Ancient Greece considered nine sacred because it was the number of the Nine Muses, beautiful daughters of Zeus who were believed to provide inspiration to poets, musicians, dancers and other artists.

6.MURDERFACE
In hiphop slang, "nine" means a 9mm pistol, and can also mean "murder", the latter coming from Illinois Criminal Code number for homocide.

7.THE DEVIL'S IN DETAILS
Satanists point out that a "9" turned upside down becomes a "6", which makes up the Number Of The BEast (666) as revealed in the Book of Revelation. Nine is also used by Satan-worshippers to commemorate the death of Jesus, because the Bible states Christ spoke his last words on the cross adn "gave up the ghost" (died) at the ninth hour.

8.WHEN IN ROME
The Ancient Romans, who had a god for pretty much everything (including a god of plumbing!), worshipped the goddess Nundina, the personification of the number nine. Male newborns underent a purification ceremony on their ninth day of life, and every nine years the Romans held a feast in memory of the dead.

9. RINGS 'N' THINGS
In J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy epic, The Lord Of The Rings, the arch villian, Sauron, creates nine rings of power that he uses to ensnare the nine kings of men, who are corrupted into the Nazgul, or ring wraiths, and like to ride around on black horses scaring hobbits.

Aug 31, 2006
cool, but did you have to make 3 threads about it?

also what was that math problem that whatever number you chose, when you work it out, it ends up being 9?