Ken Griffey retires

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
Wish it would have happened at the end of last year, kind of tainted it by playing the worst ball of his career and nearly being FORCED out of town.

Griffey = greatest Mariner EVER. Thanks for the memories.

Jun 9, 2007
The words "Griffey" and "tainted" should never be used in the same sentence together, even just talking about when he chose to retire... Ken Griffey Jr. ranks right up there with Willie Mays in my eyes as one of the flat-out best, purest players to ever play the game, and he did it all LEGIT during the heart of the steroids era.

Griffey and Kirby Puckett were far and away my favorite players to watch as a kid, and two big reasons why I wanted to play baseball (and did through high school). Both class acts, and both amazing to watch.

Even though his career has been on a decline, it was always still exciting to see him step up to the plate, and I'm glad he retired as a Mariner.

May 9, 2002
The words "Griffey" and "tainted" should never be used in the same sentence together, even just talking about when he chose to retire... Ken Griffey Jr. ranks right up there with Willie Mays in my eyes as one of the flat-out best, purest players to ever play the game, and he did it all LEGIT during the heart of the steroids era.

Griffey and Kirby Puckett were far and away my favorite players to watch as a kid, and two big reasons why I wanted to play baseball (and did through high school). Both class acts, and both amazing to watch.

Even though his career has been on a decline, it was always still exciting to see him step up to the plate, and I'm glad he retired as a Mariner.
I only say "tainted" because of his complete inability to play baseball this year and all the controversy leading up to the retirement. Fans were really calling for his head.

C-4

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I always wondered what IF, what would have been, if he had never left Seattle? He never really had injury troubles until he went to the Reds. He could have easily been one of the greatest players to ever step on the field, and still is, let alone the HR King if he wouldn't have gotten hurt so much.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Yeah going to the Reds ended up being a bad decision on his part. If he had stayed with the M's (or even in just in the AL) he could have played DH as he started to get a little older. He will still be a first ballot Hall of Famer regardless.

Oh well, Griffey made Seattle a baseball town because no one cared about them before he arrived. Thanks for that!

Jan 18, 2006
just think if he never got injured so much he would of broke the alltime homerun record without using balco or any of that shit. To bad he didnt get a proper send off

ET23

Sicc OG
May 22, 2008
Griffey was the only reason I watched baseball, I remember those (sometimes crappy or sloppy) Reds years but that's when I was into it.
So now fuck it.
But many props to a great baseball player...deserved a better send off but it's whatever.

May 16, 2002
in my opinion he was the greatest...my favorite player of all time for sure. i am so glad i got to grow up watching him play...great memories.

Jan 12, 2006
Who mentioned Bonds? Didn't see his name brought up once in this thread
"he did without steroids too"

"if he wouldve took steroids and stayed healthy he wouldve had the homerun record."

"he did it clean"

barry was the shit before he ever touched a fucken steroid, hella tired of people always disrespecting barry! people never disrespect babe ruth like that so dont knock a legend like barry. my bad if i offended you didnt mean to mayn just kinda annoying hearing people bad mouth barry. just my two cents. i wont bring barry up in this thread anymore.

and by the way griffey was a beast! he was also one of my all time fav athletes.

Jan 18, 2008
Rip City
"he did without steroids too"

"if he wouldve took steroids and stayed healthy he wouldve had the homerun record."

"he did it clean"

barry was the shit before he ever touched a fucken steroid, hella tired of people always disrespecting barry! people never disrespect babe ruth like that so dont knock a legend like barry. my bad if i offended you didnt mean to mayn just kinda annoying hearing people bad mouth barry. just my two cents. i wont bring barry up in this thread anymore.

and by the way griffey was a beast! he was also one of my all time fav athletes.
at least you admit to barry doin steroids, I still remember him as a Pirate with Van Slyke and Bonilla, shit was mainey. but bonds was hella small like Van Slyke back then, Bonilla was the big boy (no marty).....but yea whatever....all good.

Griffey for sure was clean as hell in the steroid era, and its crazy to think what he could of accomplished if he would of been healthy for his career