Julius Peppers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Peppers will become free agent after Panthers opt not to tag him

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have decided the price is too steep to keep their all-time sacks leader. Therefore, five-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers is about to become one of the top prizes in free agency.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney announced Tuesday that the team will not place the restrictive franchise tag on Peppers for a second consecutive year at a cost of at least $20.1 million.

"With the magnitude of the contact, the tender that it would take to franchise him and how it fits into the big picture with our team, we made the decision to not franchise him," Hurney said. "Obviously, it's a very difficult decision because he's a tremendous player."

The announcement came two days before the tag deadline. Peppers will become an unrestricted free agent March 5, meaning the Panthers likely will lose their top defensive player without compensation.

"Last night, I learned that the Carolina Panthers would not restrict my availability during the upcoming free-agency period," Peppers said in a statement released by his agent, Carl Carey, on Tuesday. "I feel good about having the opportunity to visit with other teams. My goal will be to find the right match for my skill set.

"I am thankful for the eight seasons I have spent in the National Football League thus far and am looking forward to beginning this new phase of my career."

The decision is an about face from a year ago, when the Panthers went against Peppers' wishes to be allowed to leave in free agency and gave him a one-year franchise tender worth $16.7 million. He made another $1.5 million for making the Pro Bowl after recording 10.5 sacks.

Using the franchise tag again would have meant a 20 percent raise, with a guaranteed base salary of $20.1 million, not counting a $1.5 million Pro Bowl bonus and $250,000 for each playoff victory.

Even though there is scheduled to be no salary cap next season in the final year of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, the Panthers decided against committing that much money to one player.

"We franchised him last year in hopes of being able to get a multiyear contract done," Hurney said. "We made what I would term a very aggressive effort to do that and did not get it done.

Read more here...

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
peppers is a 4-3 de but he wants to play in 3-4 as olb. pittsburgh or baltimore would be filthy if they added peppers. i think he would underachieve in kc.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
kc should, since they lost jared allen...

but isn't kansas switching to a 3-4 front?

kc already has switched i believe. thats why they are looking at shopping dorsey who has no place in kc.

i wouldnt mind adding him to the rotation in atlanta with jerry and babineaux. we havent been strong at tackle since rod coleman and grady jackson anchored the line.

Jul 5, 2009
Glenn Dorsey was solid last seson. Eatin up blocks and pluggin holes like he was supposed to. We need a nose tackle bad as fuck like Terrence Cody and them big breasteses in KC.