Joey Porter wants to go to 49ers, Cardinals or the Chargers.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 9, 2005
Lawson would get tossed like a rag doll against those gigantic O-Linemen.

He's tall enough and has the speed, but he'd be going against guys who outweigh him by 100+ pounds.

I'd welcome Porter to the Niner Nation. Plus, he'd be close to home. Like mentioned, he'd be an upgrade over any of our current OLB's.

Brooks looks promising, and Haralson has shown flashes of being a solid player...but Porter is battled tested and proven.

Apr 25, 2002
Convert Lawson back to DE. Then put this together.

Lawson - Franklin - J.Smith

Porter - Spikes - Willis - Peppers
Lawson doesn't have the size (not height, SIZE) or strength to play DE in a 3-4. Do you understand how the 3-4 works? The D-Linemen are big guys who eat up blockers so the OLB's are free to rush the passer. Guys like Justin Smith aren't expected to get sacks or put major pressure on QBs, they are expected to free up other players to do that. Lawson is simply to small to do it. Justin Smith is just a beast and penetrates anyway. 3-4 DEs are not expected to produce the way he does.

Also, there is no way in hell we get Porter AND Peppers. I'm a little skeptical on Peppers anyway because I think he's gonna be a major liability when he has to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB.

Oct 23, 2009
WTF makes Lawson so good again?
I think there was alot of potential in Lawson when they saw clips of Mario Williams @ NC State. The Niners noticed that every play that Mario was involved in, Manny was right next to him or beat him to it. They figured a tall speed rusher like Manny would convert well into a 3-4 OLB. He's not where he should be as far as sacks go but he has good coverage skills in the pass game and plays the run well. I still think he has something to prove, the ACL tear set him back IMO.

Nov 10, 2006
Lawson has been a bust in my opinion so far. Porter would fit right in with Spikes and Willis. We've been needing a good pass rusher for the longest and Porter would finally give us one.

Feb 23, 2004
i say get porter for cheap if possible..lawson is good for covering so when theres a rushing play called have him rotate with brook.. cuz manny almost always misses a important tackle he almost had bret favre on the last play, but failed...if we do this our lbs are gonna be one of the best in the league...1