JAPANESE VS AMERICAN GAMES.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Simply put we do NOT get the good games. If you are a mecha fan, rpg/strategy fan or anime fan your worthless hide should have been BEGGING for a stateside release of Super Robot Wars. Hit youtube and type in Super Robot Wars. America has a large market for these type of games yet they don't bring them here. What they should do with games like these (anime based games) is they should translate the dialog on screen but LEAVE the ORIGINAL japanese voices. That way it has a "subtitle" type feel.

Opinions?

Just in case you birds are too lazy to see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FiCwicPGeA&search=Super Robot Wars

Jul 9, 2002
Heresy, do you have a patched version of Grandia on Sega Saturn?

I'm pretty happy that someone is patching Firepro Wrestling Return for ps2, The Saturn version of Firepro is goat.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
I think saying most american companies are wack was going a little too far, Because we ARE getting way, way better overall. Games like the Godfather, GTA series, and a lot of the scheduled Ps3/360 games, are fucking sick and produced very well. I still dont think we can touch japan when it comes to innovation and originality though.. which is what the game industry mostly needs these days

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I think saying most american companies are wack was going a little too far, Because we ARE getting way, way better overall.
American companies are wack for the most part.
Weren't you the guy who originally said it?

Yes, american companies are getting better, but how many times can you make A godfather game? 3 times. What else can you ad to GTA that makes it innovative? When you think about it all of these games have the same "engine", but this isn't exclusive to the action/platform genre. The key to all of this IS originality,and this is where the japanese win big time.

@White Devil where have you been? Also, what good games are the japanese missing out on? Oblivion?

Mar 2, 2006
Yea seriously, the japanese are all about having weird fun. Even their game shows are hella ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I hella dig it. We're soo fucking plain here with our entertainment in the USA as a whole.

Mar 2, 2006
Yea, talk about clones walking around brainwashed by social constraints and media influence (And I am not referring to anyone in this forum). The fact that we can discuss things like this on a forum with an open mind proves otherwise.

I like how a lot of Americans also like to use diversity as the variable that sets them apart from the rest of the countries globally. However, if you really look at it, the only real valid claims of diversity by the whole "melting pot crowd" comes from California and a few other coastal cities such as New York. Otherwise most of middle america is just white people. The US is just as diverse as the next country. So when we're talking about diversity it's usually just places like cali (which is big in its own right). But this is just on a side note, hehe, don't let my rants digress from the main topic of this thread. Continue on, lol.

Dec 25, 2003
HERESY said:
@White Devil where have you been? Also, what good games are the japanese missing out on? Oblivion?
I've been working like crazy...not only at my office but I'm in the works of going into business for myself in consulting. Even while being a middle manager, I still basically run a sales team.

I had thought that perhaps being in financial services would lend a different and more interesting twist. I am still essentially a sales coach, and I'm not into trying to pump people up into making sales and worrying about retention, watching indices, momentum, etc.

My new work is more in tune with markets, consumer trends, and basically advice on marketing strategies and the like. No more 80 hour weeks, I can work from home, possibly move back to the Bay, etc.

As far as the question about what the Japanese are missing...not necessarily just Oblivion but all the games preceding, WRPG-wise.

Planescape:Torment
Fallout 1 & 2
Arena, Daggerfall
Wizardry 8
Arcanum
System Shock 1 & 2

Not to mention all the great non-RPG games on computer that were basically passed up in Japan because of non-console status...

The elements of American games that are really attractive to me are theme, choice, and mods. It really is a different experience playing a game like Oblivion or Torment vs. a Final Fantasy or most Anime games. You are in a much more *adult* world, with a greater sense of freedom and less clear-cut lines about good and evil, more philosophy, more adult themes, etc.

This probably is not true for the likely *dumbed down* Oblivion (It was also made for console), but elements of this genre are still retained.

I guess the difference between Japanese and American RPGs is this:

Japanese RPGs are like a good movie.

American RPGs are like a good book.

And the addition of Mods for the PC versions of alot of American games lends itself to alot more replay value, as well as more customization options.

Dec 25, 2003
Wizardry was first a Computer game.

History of RPGs from Wikipedia:

Role-playing video games began in 1975 as an offshoot of early university mainframe computer text RPGs on PDP-10 and Unix-based computers, starting with Dungeon and graphical RPGs on the PLATO System, pedit5 and dnd, themselves inspired by paper-and-pencil role-playing games. Other influences during this period were text adventures, Multiple-User Dungeons (MUDs) and roguelike games. Some of the first graphical CRPGs after pedit5 and dnd, were orthanc, avathar (later renamed avatar), oubliette, baradur, emprise, bnd, sorcery, moria, and dndworld, all of which were developed and became widely popular on PLATO during the latter 1970s, in large part due to PLATO's speed, fast graphics, nationwide network of terminals, and large number of players with access to those terminals. These were followed by (but did not always lead directly to) games on other platforms, such as Akalabeth (1980) (which gave rise to the well-known Ultima series), and Wizardry.

These early Ultima and Wizardry games are perhaps the largest influence on the later console RPG games that are now popular. Many innovations of Ultima III: Exodus (1983) eventually became standards of almost all RPGs in both the console market (if somewhat simplified to fit the gamepad) and the personal computer market. Later Dungeon Master (1987) introduced realtime gameplay and several user-interface innovations, such as direct manipulation of objects and the environment with the mouse, to first-person CRPGs.

The earliest console RPG was the Intellivision title AD&D Treasure of Tarmin (1982). Much later, in 1986, Enix made the NES title Dragon Quest (video game) (called Dragon Warrior in North America and would remain that way until the 8th game in the series). This was followed shortly by ports of the computer RPGs Wizardry and Ultima III, and by Final Fantasy (1987) by Squaresoft. Both of these games proved popular and spawned a series of sequels. Both game series remain popular today, Final Fantasy more so in North America, and Dragon Quest in Japan.

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy both borrowed heavily from Ultima. For example, leveling up and saving must be done by speaking to the king in Dragon Quest, and in order to rest and get healed, the characters must visit the king (Dragon Quest) or stay the night at an inn (both games). The games are played in a top-down perspective, much like the Ultima games, as well. The combat style in Dragon Quest was borrowed from another series from the personal computer market, the Wizardry games.