James Lofton interviews for Raiders head coach job

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I have no clue who they'll pick for head coach.....what I really care about is that rob ryan stays as either defensive coordinator or promote him to head coach.

a recievers coach would make sense for the raiders tho, we got great receivers, and if that could somehow convince both porter & moss to stay, a receiver coach would definetly make sure they're highly involved in the playbook.

Apr 25, 2002
Defy said:
a recievers coach would make sense for the raiders tho, we got great receivers, and if that could somehow convince both porter & moss to stay, a receiver coach would definetly make sure they're highly involved in the playbook.
I think Moss is out the door regardless...I dont think he wants to be here regardless of who gets brought in.. most of the fans dont want him here anymore either so Id be suprised if he stayed. Porter on the other hand might be a possibility since Shell is gone.
Id prefer to go after an offensive coach that knows how to get the running game going.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Man what the fuck has James Lofton done to make Al interested?

I'd rather go after a proven head coach or a young cat from college. Ain't no telling with Lofton....he's a damn receivers coach. At least Al can look at an offensive coordinator.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Man what the fuck has James Lofton done to make Al interested?

I'd rather go after a proven head coach or a young cat from college. Ain't no telling with Lofton....he's a damn receivers coach. At least Al can look at an offensive coordinator.

Well I suspect it's because he's one of the only ones even asking about the job.

The proven hc's don't want it, and the young cats in college know it's a death trap.

Apr 25, 2002
Why do people think Calvin Johnson will make the Raiders that much better? WR's are useless no matter how good they are if you dont have a good QB, o-line and RB...we already saw it with Moss.

Nov 27, 2006
oakland fucked up moss and they will probably ruin the career of whoever becomes the next head coach so it doesnt even matter, good luck raider fans haha. Raiders Super Bowl Champs.... 2037 maybe

May 17, 2002
www.deebo.com
Sarkisian interviews with Raiders for a second timeBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Southern California quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian, the presumptive front-runner for the Oakland head coach vacancy, interviewed on Wednesday with team officials for the second time in two weeks, and the two sides commenced contract negotiations.

A league source cautioned late Wednesday, though, that contract discussions were at an early stage and that, while Sarkisian appears to be the choice, completing a deal might possibly take a few days. It is not known if that means that a long bargaining process is anticipated or if the Raiders could be conducting parallel negotiations with other candidates.

The follow-up interview for Sarkisian came less than a day after some media outlets reported late Tuesday night that San Diego Chargers wide receivers coach and Hall of Fame member James Lofton was poised to accept the position. It also came amid the kind of cryptic manner with which the Raiders traditionally conduct their searches for a head coach.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Raiders made it clear to Sarkisian on Wednesday that the Lofton reports were erroneous and that the USC assistant remained very much in contention for the job.

It is believed that Sarkisian, 32, is the first known candidate asked back for a second interview. In addition to Sarkisian and Lofton, the Raiders have also interviewed current Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel.

ESPN.com reported Tuesday that former Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green rebuffed overtures from Oakland officials to arrange an interview.

The Raiders fired coach Art Shell after only one year and a disastrous 2-14 season marked by one of the worst overall offensive performances in recent league history.

Sarkisian served as Oakland's quarterbacks coach in 2004 and, while he has not been a coordinator or head coach, he fits the mold of the kind of coach owner Al Davis has traditionally sought. Davis typically looks for candidates whose expertise is on the offensive side of the ball, and who are young and innovative.

A former Brigham Young quarterback who played in the CFL from 1997-99, Sarkisian has a limited coaching résumé. Beyond his two stints at Southern California (2001-2003 and 2005), Sarkisian was on the staff at El Camino (Calf.) Junior College in 2000.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

LOFTON AINT GONNA BE COACH.IT SEEMS LIKE SARKISIAN IS AL DAVIS'S GUY.I HOPE HE GETS IT