James breaks wrist going for dunk in Chicago

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
AKRON, Ohio -- LeBron James, considered the nation's top high school basketball player, broke his left wrist during an AAU game Saturday in Chicago and won't be able to play for 6-to-8 weeks.

James, Ohio's Mr. Basketball the past two years who has already been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, was attempting a dunk with 11:19 left in a game when he was bumped by C.J. Walleck, a player for Chicago Rising Stars.

James, who will be a senior this fall at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, landed hard on his wrist. He lay on the floor for several minutes before being taken by ambulance to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Eddie Jackson, a friend of the James family, confirmed that James broke his wrist and that he had been told he would be sidelined for up to two months.

"He's OK," Jackson said. "When he comes back, we'll see everything and go over everything."

After James was hurt, Walleck was ejected and the game was canceled. The crowd became unruly, threatening Walleck, according to a report.

"I feel terrible," Walleck told the Akron Beacon Journal. "It was completely an accident. I tried to draw the charge. He came in and he jumped so high that his knee hit my head."

James, who shoots with his right hand, is expected to be ready for his senior season, but he won't be able to play in any of the prestigious summer camps.

The 6-foot-7 James was dubbed "The Chosen One" by SI in a story last winter. He was playing for Northeast Ohio Shooting Stars in the Mac Irvin Summer Basketball Classic at Julian High School.

James averaged 29 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists last season and took St. Vincent-St. Mary to the state finals. He won every major national player of the year award following his junior year.

There had been speculation a year ago that James might sue the NBA so he could make himself eligible for the player draft this summer, but he announced he would stay in school.

James has yet to decide whether he will attend college or turn pro after he completes high school.

James worked out recently at Gund Arena with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The NBA fined the Cavs $150,000 and suspended coach John Lucas for the first two games next season for having contact with James.

Apr 25, 2002
i heard that kid is better than magic ,and jordan at that age , i heard he was schoolin all the cleaveland calviler players , seasoned NBA players for fuckin shyt sake !!!!!!! ok that was over dun but this kid aint no joke

May 11, 2002
YOuNg WiNo said:
i heard that kid is better than magic ,and jordan at that age , i heard he was schoolin all the cleaveland calviler players , seasoned NBA players for fuckin shyt sake !!!!!!! ok that was over dun but this kid aint no joke
Yah I heard the same thing, on espn they were showing some highlights of him. He aint no joke the kid gots some hang time. I wanna see him and kobe go at it. Kobe dubbed the "next" MJ, and james whos supposed to be better than MJ and Magic at the time when they were 17.