Is YMCMB Stealing The Bay Areas sound?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
this what happened, the bay had a hyphy sound, la got onto it late and made the same shit for the jerkin music then jerkin played out and now thats the norm for the beats, tyga was kinda in that shit and there be other LA niggas around ymcmb so they getting some of the sound from the bay via LA

Nov 14, 2002
Motto and Rack city do remind me of some 2004/5 bay shit. when i fist heard Rack city i thought it was a new song from a bay rapper. the bay was on those empty beats pretty hard in 04/05. like mr fab said though,"the bay turned they back on that sound" ym picked it up and made a few million off of it. cant get mad about now they pulled it out the trash can lol

Oct 15, 2006
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
LAST BUT NOT LEAST I WANNA SAY FREE MY LIL DANGER...GRRRR...YOU CAN GET ALL THESE SONGS OFF MY APOTHEOSIS MIXTAPE AND PLAY IT FOR THEM YOUNG MONEY DIC RIDERS[video=youtube;u-XzfebMXmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-XzfebMXmY[/video]

Apr 25, 2002
I AGREE! But I told JT THE BIGGA FIGGA face to face that the bay area must not be handling they business right cause they getting they sound took right up from under they noses again.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
the bay takes themselves too seriously, like there's always something off when they make their mainstream push.

the bay always wants to act like what they're doing is more important than what it is. for instance, calling hyphy a movement was the dumbest shit. a movement is something that moves people socially, not a bunch of people on crank pills dancing ridiculous. people can see through that shit, whenever a bay rapper gets a mic they want to talk about the bay and bay culture, and invariably people stealing shit from the bay.

fans in different parts of the country are looking for standalone personalities not regions they don't live in and will probably never visit. gucci, wayne, waka, drake, etc. all built brands off of themselves, not off of atlanta, new orleans, toronto, the south or canada. where they're from is tertiary to who they are. bay artists lose sight of that and get pidgeon-holed for it.

the people the OP references take the bay sound and have fun with it. it's not a "super movement omg this is a serious thing we invented this and you need to know it" thing, it's just a beat. it's just something for them to convey their personalities with, cause at the end of the day that's what fans are buying into. not the body of water the city their from sits on.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
mac dre had it all though, for real. he was a prototype for the only bay model that's winning right now. straight weirdo shit. that energy that only a real bay area psychonaut could come up w/. lil b, young l, roach gigz, kreayshawn, etc. are all disciples of everything dre represented and it makes sense cause they were the first generation to listen to him when he was doing that phase from when they were ~12 until now.

the difference between dre and the new crop of bay eccentric rappers is that dre actually had real street credibility so he was able to cultivate a more 360º persona as a rapper. he could rock on some gangsta shit harder than 95% of all rappers, and on some drug shit he could take a punk rock junkie past their comfort zone, cause he understood and lived both of those aspects of bay culture. he was equal parts berkeley weirdo and crestside thug. now you get either/or, everyone is one dimensional.

lil wayne, waka and gucci all have different ratios in which they embody these characteristics. they're able to capture what the hood is looking for and also what the suburbs, and hipster markets are looking for too. and it's amazing how much these markets are merging too. go in any hood in the united states and you're gonna see kids of all different levels of thugness wearing hollister and abercrombie and fitch w/vans (see chief keef). mac dre wore abercrombie and vans in 2003 lol.

who has this combo in the bay currently? i'd argue that while nobody has it to the extent dre did; kreayshawn, lil b, young l and roach gigz come closest to the ratio where the appeal and relevance lies. that's why people and media give a shit about what they're working on outside of our little area.