Is poetry Hip Hop or vice versa?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 22, 2006
I’ve been seeing this trend for years.

Connecting Slam Poetry (other types of poetry included though) somehow as an expression of hip hop. We’ve got the def poetry slam on HBO. Colleges trying to incorporate poetry and claim it as hip hop as a way to seem all multicultural.

Does being an urban poet somehow make you hip hop? Because you’re from a minority ethnicity and you write poems denouncing “the man” does that make you hip hop? Because your poem follows a harsh beat like structure and you nearly yell it at listeners with a gruff voice does that make you hip hop?

It all seems like a way to try and be “safe” by replacing rapping with poetry and “scary black people” with bourgie multi culti grad students then giving yourself a pat on the back for being hip hop.

Opinions?

And is it only me, or do poems that don't rhyme reflect a fundamental lack of effort?

Aug 7, 2006
Every true emcee is a poet so ya it is under hip hop. listen to any hip hop song acapella it would be strait up poetry.

And is it only me, or do poems that don't rhyme reflect a fundamental lack of effort?
thats stupid. You dont have to rhyme to hit a ill poem. If you writtin a poem and you just pull in fill ins just to rhyme is wack. Honestly some of the best poems in history don't rhyme. Its like when i write some things i dont want to rhyme a certain bar because that bar has bigger impact then the last one and I want it to stick harder to the listener ya feel

to some up the answer to your question. Poetry is a style that hip hop adopted, but poetry isnt just hip hop

Jul 22, 2006
Good reply. I appreciate the feedback.

Song lryics can be poetic, but is poetry hip hop? What makes Sal Williams hip hop, but not TS Elliot? Just becuase he's black?

Aren't MC's the poets of hip hop culture already? Why this new classification?

Y-S

Sicc OG
Dec 10, 2005
i would definitely say they're poetic, because of syllables, metaphors, oxymorons, etc. There's so much things that're related to poetry.

Freestyling can be a poetry, too. I have thought about hip-hop being related
to a poetry before.

Aug 7, 2006
Deadpool said:
Good reply. I appreciate the feedback.
Song lyrics can be poetic, but is poetry hip hop? What makes Sal Williams hip hop, but not TS Elliot? Just becuase he's black?

Aren't MC's the poets of hip hop culture already? Why this new classification?
poetry is a form of hip hop but you know poetry has so many styles. Saul williams to me can be classified as hip hop but saying that its hip hop is just a label. TS Elliot also you can say is a form that branches to hip hop or it doesnt have to.

IMO the only reason we have this new classification is because poetry came way before hip hop. hip hop came and we needed to label poetry under it. To me its all the same, label it hip hop or not emceeing came from poetry

I appreciate the feedback.
aye its a good topic oct, i feel you on this whole labeling thing haha

Mar 4, 2007
without the understanding of poetry lyrics would be kinda wack....but the music that sounds more like poerty of course is hip hop....not realli rap because they dont get that deep into there shit....and hip hop is all about metaphors and makin stories....so in a way there both the same

Mar 4, 2006
I think rap is an active voice of poetry.
In rap something has to happen. Rap is a story but you could have a poem that's about a rose. And that poem could be the best poem ever. But in rap something has to happen like someone is gonna get that girl, or someone is gonna get fucked up, or someone is going to break out of jail, or someone is going to sell drugs or something. I write poetry and I rap so Ive thought about this a lot. I think rap and poetry are related but they're different. When rap is written well it can be very poetic.
If you think poetry that doesn't rhyme is lazy on the poet's part your understanding of poetry is very amateur.

Feb 27, 2007
hip hop is spoke word poetry wit a beat behind it. and thats the problem wit hip hop today. its lost its meaning and became rap. the industry niggas aint no poets. just puppets.

Mar 4, 2007
hip hop is poetry, like most have said, hip hop has a very influencial(i think i spelled that word wrong lol) voice, but you cant just rap and say its poetry. it has to be some shit that has meaning, i agree with big dayne, the mainstream rappers are just puppets.

Jan 1, 2006
Poetry is expression... Music is expression they all fall under the same category. Just because one person rhymes about partying, killing, drugs and what not doesn't separate it from the fact that it's still poetry. All artists follow a rhyme scheme and even when writing lyrics they all transcribe the words into a poetic fashion.