Is it more significant to design a logo in Illustrator? If so, why?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 14, 2009
Fillmoe
Curious question. I never quite understood the use of Adobe Illustrator nor have i ever found it useful within my workflow,as I feel that I can achieve the same result in Photoshop.

Is it worth going through the learning curve,and is it just primarily for vector designs? It just seems like its more of a cartoonish feel then anything after a design is done,and that for a more realistic approach photoshop should be use. I could be wrong,but this is just my take on it. Any advice or clarity on this will be greatly appreciated.

Sep 16, 2002
www.2coldgraphiks.com
Illustrator is good for logos because since it's vector based, the logos can stretch as big as a billboard and not suffer any quality loss.

Illustrator also renders text a little better.

I know there's a few other advantages but I'm just starting to regularly use Illustrator myself and those are the only 2 that come to mind right now.

Nov 14, 2002
www.viiicdesign.com
Another advantage of illustrator is that you have more control in the way the logo prints out. If you decide to print. Cause most of the time the image you see on the screen doesn't necessarily print out the same on paper.

Jan 31, 2006
Illustrator will also make it easier for other designers,printers,sign makers etc because they can mostly all work with vector files. with psd.'s you limit them to a certain extent because of the resolution.

Jan 31, 2006
Is it worth going through the learning curve,and is it just primarily for vector designs? It just seems like its more of a cartoonish feel then anything after a design is done,and that for a more realistic approach photoshop should be use. I could be wrong,but this is just my take on it. Any advice or clarity on this will be greatly appreciated.
It is worth learning it because being a designer doesn't just mean doing album covers or logos. Someone might one day ask you to design something that is meant for vinyl application. Or you might want to do something that you later want to edit/tweak in InDesign.

I'd say their aint no cons in learning it