IS HIP HOP ART OR POISON?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

IS HIP HOP ART OR POISON

• ART

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • POISON

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
I know ya'll seen this on CNN. so lets have our own discussion, because there's was a bit biased, and it pissed me off a lil lol
when did you first listen to hip hop. when did you parents find out about you listening to hip hop, and what was their reaction. do you think hip hop corrupts the youth or creates negative examples? does hip hop affect you as an individual.

May 10, 2002
GODDAMN IT!! I knew there was something I was supposed to watch...

I figured it was going to be super biased though.

***Short version***

It used to be art, but because of what corporate america has done with it, it is now poison.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
well here is my version...
the first time i listened to "gangsta rap" was when I was 12 years old. the homie slid me a compton's most wanted tape and an ice-t tape. blew my mind. ever since then I got hooked to rap..even at that age i understood that rap was sort of like the news to me, just lettin me know whats goin out in the streets wheter it was gangs or politics...
it upsets me that the media and politicians use rap as a scapegoat as to why children or teens misbehave or commit crimes etc. maybe if they raise their children instead of lettin tv and music do the job, maybe they wouldn't turned out so fucked up...
I belive there was a time when rap was an art, but now some of these rappers glorify the drug dealin and killin like its cool.

May 10, 2002
The art itself still exists ... somewhere.

It's funny that the content that (currently) draws fire from the media is that of the corporate american version of the art. The corporate american version, as a result of researching what will ensure the highest profit, glorifies all of the negative stuff. Then the media blames the artists for content that for the most part they (the mainstream artists of today) have no control over.

^^^ This is current day I'm talkin about. NWA & Ice T planted the seed and made it ok to sensationalize "hood life". Corporate america is still capitalizing on it and corporate media isn't telling the whole story when they produce these news "pieces" (no surprises there). You have to wonder who has what agenda and why the Major Label's accountability is never brought into question.

X-NINE

Chi-Illinois
Sep 16, 2006
CHICAGO
Fuck the media, their just trying to get white america scared of rap music, when music isnt even the case all the time for why the youth does the things they have done.......

To me if anything it is the parents fault more importanly for not being responsible enough to let their kids know what is REAL and what is ENTERTAINMENT today, yet they take the easy route and blame hiphop for the reason their kid is fucked up, when they havent done SHIT at all......Thats what I hate

Shit if heavy metal acts can promote satanism in they music yet when a brotha says 'Gun', its a major prob? Get the fuck outta here

Dec 25, 2003
Now this was a reel deep discussion peoples!!!

But for now guys, even though today's hip-hop is pretty much a load of saturated corporate bubblegum & generic, don't trip, cuz I assure ya that in a few years, a new era in hip-hop may emerge, and back to it's art format, but this time with a whole new innovative reelistic twist to it!!! A new genre!!!!!!
It's only a matter of time peoples cuz it only takes at least one man to make this happen!!!!!!
Just wait and see.................................................................................

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Rasan said:
it upsets me that the media and politicians use rap as a scapegoat as to why children or teens misbehave or commit crimes etc.
yeah, i know what you mean...as if these problems didnt already exist before hip hop. the media is a cold muthafucker...notice how they showed nothing but the most coonish videos during that whole segment. all u saw was asses, gold teeth, rims and asualt rifles. lol

Aug 7, 2006
smallski61916 said:
Now this was a reel deep discussion peoples!!!

But for now guys, even though today's hip-hop is pretty much a load of saturated corporate bubblegum & generic, don't trip, cuz I assure ya that in a few years, a new era in hip-hop may emerge, and back to it's art format, but this time with a whole new innovative reelistic twist to it!!! A new genre!!!!!!
It's only a matter of time peoples cuz it only takes at least one man to make this happen!!!!!!
Just wait and see.................................................................................
word

May 30, 2006
MrPeete said:
It used to be art, but because of what corporate america has done with it, it is now poison.
That sums it up 4 the most part.

But 2 take it back. I waz listening 2 rap before there waz even gangsta rap. I would say my first experience with hip hop waz around 1982. MC'n waz in but back then DJing & break dancing & grafitee art were extremely popular @ the time. I even remember going 2 the drive in 2 see Breakin' & Beat Street double feature. Even in my pre-teen days I knew rap waz going 2 be around 4 a long time cuz it waz the voice of the youth & the youth iz the future.

My first time hearing some gangsta rap or even hardcore rap waz 2 Live Crew Ice-T & Too $hort back in like 1986-1987. Before them I waz really into the Fat boys, BDP, LL, Audio Two & I loved EPMD. EPMD waz the shit back then. When I first heard Ice-T that shit blew my mind but when I first heard Eazy-E I really started 2 pay attention. I alwayz waz into hard shit & the youth waz angry I knew that thiz waz where rap waz going 2 be 4 a long azz time. The East Coast, West Coast shit never existed in my mind cuz i waz just a kid wanting 2 hear good music.

My parents were not fuckin with rap. NO parent waz back then. I see teenagers 2day who parents listen 2 rap(even gangsta rap). I grew up in an era where parents(including mine) were 100% against rap esp explicit rap. My dad waz anti rap. He called it "cussing music" cuz thats all he wanted 2 here & he threw away alot of me & my brothers records & tapes. That shit still didnt stop us from spending our $ on rap cuz we were part of the hip hop movement.

Now 2dayz rap iz a complete 180 of the shit i grew up on. Itz so much $ & investers & big corporate companys have there handz in the pot not caring about the art but how much $ they can make off of niggaz. IMO Jimmy Iovine @ Interscope iz the perfect example of a modern slave owner. He don't give a fuck about shit but a pay day. He don't give a shit about hiz artist az long az he's capitalizing & makin a profit off of them.

Payola, BET-Coon, MTV etc make shit worse. Itz not rap thatz poisen itz corporate America that profitz off of rap thatz poisening America. I could blame the artist all day but instead of going after the gold fish we need 2 go after the sharks.