Is Hindusm polytheistic?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 1, 2002
I got into a little discussion with a Hindu, and he said Hinduism is polytheistic. I am aware of the diffrent gods and deities in Hinduism, but I always thought Hinduism believes in one God -- Brahman, which is infinite, undivided, unchanging reality behind all that we experience, behind the entire universe. And that Deities, or gods and goddesses, represent the highest manifestation of Brahman that humans can comprehend. An avatar or divine incarnation of God is the highest manifestation in human form. I asked a diffrent Hindu, and he agreed that there is ONE GOD behind those gods and deities.
I would appreciate it if any person here could shed some light on this aspect of Hinduism, thank you.

-{bLaDe}

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
Yes, as there are many gods in Hinduism, there is ultimately one God. One source of all. Krsna.

Brahman is not the supreme personality. That would be Krsna...

Brahman is the impersonal totality-perceived aspect of God. Similar to Buddhism's idea of being "one with everything". Buddhism does not portray in its philosophy a personal God. They preach an impersonal "void". This is what Brahman is.

Many people only perceive the Brahman aspect, but it is Krsna who is the supreme personality...

May 1, 2002
n9newunsixx5150 said:
Yes, as there are many gods in Hinduism, there is ultimately one God. One source of all. Krsna.

Brahman is not the supreme personality. That would be Krsna...

Brahman is the impersonal totality-perceived aspect of God. Similar to Buddhism's idea of being "one with everything". Buddhism does not portray in its philosophy a personal God. They preach an impersonal "void". This is what Brahman is.

Many people only perceive the Brahman aspect, but it is Krsna who is the supreme personality...
You mean Lord Krishna? Is that the child-god portrayed with a flute? Is he the supream, 'one God?' I heard he was the incarnation of Vishnu?

-{bLaDe}

Dec 27, 2002
Brahman is the impersonal spiritual energy which is emanating from the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krsna.

Visnu and Krsna are one and the same.

You mean Lord Krishna? Is that the child-god portrayed with a flute? Is he the supream, 'one God?' I heard he was the incarnation of Vishnu?
Lord Krsna is eternally youthful. His eternal transcendental activities involve appearing as a young child, and also as a teenager. He never ages and remains eternally youthful.

Yes, Krsna is the Supreme, "one God". He is the source from which everything emanates, rests within, and returns to.

Krsna is not a demigod nor is He subordinate to Brahman.

He says in the Bhagavad-gita:

"Neither the hosts of demigods nor the great sages know My origin, for, in every respect, I am the source of the demigods and the sages."

"And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness, and which is immortal, imperishable, and eternal."

You are right about Ganesh. Lord Ganesh is the son of Lord Siva, and is the "remover of obstacles".

When Vyasadeva desired to have the great epic Mahabharata written down, he knew it would be a huge task so he first of all prayed to Lord Siva, and Lord Siva sent Ganesh to assist him. Ganesh agreed to scribe the words dictated by Vyasadeva, but on the condition that once he began writing he should not have to stop even once until completely finished. Vyasadeva agreed with this condition but stipulated that Lord Ganesh could only continue writing after he comprehended fully the deep philosophical meanings which the words conveyed. In this way Vyasadeva composed the Mahabharata in such a manner that very insightful and deep spiritual knowledge are expressed very concisely and on every page, and in doing so Ganesh had to continually pause and reflect on the passages he was writing. So he definitely laces people up who need assistance, and is prayed to by cats all over the universe.

He has an elephant's head because when he was about to be born, his pops Siva was away on a journey, and Siva had told his wife that he would be returning soon. He didn't come back for 15 years. During this time, Ganesh knew he had a father who was wandering somewhere in the forest, but he did not know how he looked. So Ganesh would guard the front of his mother's house, especially during the time she took her bath. All this time he has a normal head.

So one day, while Ganesh's mother was taking her bath, Lord Siva returned home. Since he had not once seen Ganesh, he did not know that it was his own son who was guarding the entrance to his own house. Ganesh told Siva to go away, that he could not be allowed to enter the house, especially while his mother was bathing. Siva got heated and threatened to fuck him up if he didn't let him in the house, and when Ganesh still denied him entrance, Siva chopped off his head and went inside.

So when Siva's wife Parvathi saw that Siva had entered, she asked if Ganesh was there protecting the house. Siva was like "I don't know about Ganesh, but I just chopped off the head of who was guarding the door". Parvathi was pissed at Siva and demanded that he bring Ganesh back to life. Siva said he couldn't do it because his head could not be reconnected, so Parvathi said that Siva should take the head off the body of the first living being he saw and attach it to her son's body to bring him back to life.

Siva walked outside, and the first animal he saw walking by was an elephant, so he chopped it's head off and placed it on Ganesh's body.