Is Bay Area Rap more popular now than ever?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 28, 2002
I say yes. The BARS awards show the unity is back, and that was why it was so crackin back in the day. There are so many more ppl in it now, and bay rap has evolved into a culture. I remember 2 years ago it was unheard of to hear a Bay cut on the radio, and now we in constant rotation on both stations. Even though we may not have a 50 Cent or Jay-Z, the whole industry knows about our hustle. Baby Bash made it, and I think we got a few more in line. We next....

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
not just popular,i think its just a better overall,lot of quality shit has came out in this year alone. so if the product is good of course the popularity is going to come with it.bumpin more bay shit in the past 6 months than i have in years.this is how it should be.

Jun 27, 2005
Until it gets at least back to as popular as it was in 95-97 it cant be "more popular than ever."

And as far as bein better than ever, I gotta say that until somebody makes a record that makes me forget about In a Major Way, Untouchable, Dwellin In The Labb, Operation Stackola, Explosive Mode, Stackin Chips or A-1 Yola I dont see how it can be better than ever. I aint sayin they should go back to the old sound, I'm just sayin the new cats aint polished enough yet. They are on the way though.

May 5, 2005
UsA'sMostWanted said:
"well, lets not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"
-the wolf (pulp fiction)

Foreal, I mean Young Lay had a song on the New Jersey Drive Sound Track. Until the bay gets play and respect in other parts of the country like it did in 93-97 then no its not big. Only the bay is on the bays nuts. Oh yeah and Kansas corny city.

Nov 6, 2004
i think so mostly because of mac dre dying now people all over the USA know about mac dre and the bay.Before then the only people that liked the bay was the bay area and KC.

thc

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
XxtraMannish said:
Until it gets at least back to as popular as it was in 95-97 it cant be "more popular than ever."

And as far as bein better than ever, I gotta say that until somebody makes a record that makes me forget about In a Major Way, Untouchable, Dwellin In The Labb, Operation Stackola, Explosive Mode, Stackin Chips or A-1 Yola I dont see how it can be better than ever. I aint sayin they should go back to the old sound, I'm just sayin the new cats aint polished enough yet. They are on the way though.
Agreed.............until cats start pushing 100k or close to it, you cant say its better now than it was back then. Shit look at the #s RBL 2nd cd, Mac Malls 1st 2 cds pushed, just to name a few (and I dont even wanna bring up P & No Limit WHILE HE WAS STILL HERE IN THE BAY).

Apr 25, 2002
cHeWdOGG said:
. I remember 2 years ago it was unheard of to hear a Bay cut on the radio..

back in the mid 90's it was aaaallllllllllllll on the radio...............

it was also aaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll on B.E.T.

so i dont agree.i think theres more fans and a hell of a lot more artists,but its not out there like it used to be..............

Jun 27, 2005
flipyawig said:
i think so mostly because of mac dre dying now people all over the USA know about mac dre and the bay.Before then the only people that liked the bay was the bay area and KC.
Not really. The rest of the country didnt even hear about it unless they make the effort to stay current on Bay shit and not too many do that. The Bay prolly loves him more than ever but the rest of the country still says Mac who?

May 31, 2005
naw it aint more popular then ever, we just more motivated then ever, niggas is really steppin they game up for this bay movment, so soon we CAN be more popular then ever

Feb 3, 2005
thc said:
Agreed.............until cats start pushing 100k or close to it, you cant say its better now than it was back then. Shit look at the #s RBL 2nd cd, Mac Malls 1st 2 cds pushed, just to name a few (and I dont even wanna bring up P & No Limit WHILE HE WAS STILL HERE IN THE BAY).
i know Rbl's second release sold like 300k or close to it, but i was wondering how much mac mall pushed with his first 2 releases?

Nov 6, 2004
Foul Mouth said:
back in the mid 90's it was aaaallllllllllllll on the radio...............

it was also aaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll on B.E.T.

so i dont agree.i think theres more fans and a hell of a lot more artists,but its not out there like it used to be..............
tru...i remember e-40 & the click,dru down,too short all being on BET and the radio back then...

Apr 25, 2002
Ive heard Mac Dre in Mexico, Keak Da Sneak and Frontline in SD and LA. Ive heard all of them on Sirius radio. Ive heard the Team had the number 1 song in New Mexico for like 2 months. When you turn on KMEL about 30% of the music is bay area music. I seen Mac Dre cd's in Borders Bookstore. The Bay Area indy stores always have #1 bay area sellers. Theres also the backpacker hip hop artists in the bay like Dell, the Coup, Zion I and others who are doin big big things for themselves. Yea Id say the bay is probly more popular than ever before... I agree that it has also has become a big factor in shaping culture in the bay area and vice versa.

Aug 14, 2005
bay area has always been poppin its just that niggas aint on the radio and supposedly that means it aint fire. the bay has always been on fire and im tired of listenning to that bullshit on the radio. northern cali finna blow up its just a matter of time.

Apr 25, 2002
i dont think bay music is as big as the mid 90's but we definately on the up and up...gotta gang a talent out there rit now, but probably the same amount of garbage wanna be rappers that got the vocab of a fuckin grade schooler and no talent whatsoever yall need to quit.

Apr 26, 2005
i hear mac dre,keak,E-40,messy marv all the time hear on 103.5kbmb in sac. Sac is hella feelin the bay. Many people out here bump all this shit ,you here it in traffic& at house party's. Not so much in the clubs,though they kinda play top forty stuff.

May 5, 2002
the bay has gotten A LOT better this last year. I think the biggest change is harder beats, cuz IMO the bay had been lackin in the beat department. Seems like since the south got big its kind of influenced the beats in the bay, which only made it better...