Internships

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 2, 2006
I am a current college student who is finishing up in the fall. I would love to have gone down to L.A this summer and got an internship for a company like Universal, but I simply do not have the funds to move down there for a job that would not pay me anything. My plan is to move down after school is done and try to get a paying job in the industry and start on my path. My roomate knows some local Seattle rappers but none of them are on a label serious enough to need an intern. Do any of you have any ideas for any music labels or companies that might need a unpaid intern this summer. I am serious about music and want to start getting some experience. I have been reading posts on the siccness for about a year now but this is my first post, as I prefer to listen to others opinions.

Dec 11, 2002
How about getting on at a radio station or a large newspaper to put in some work for the Entertainment section...? what did you major in..? what part of the industry are you looking to start in-- your 'preference'... I'm sure you're probably willing to start wherever, but whats your preference...?

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I'm doin my internship at a radio station, while workin on a TV show...I had the same problem though, I wanted to do my internship for a label, but cats in the NW aren't doin enough shit yet and aren't willing to help someone out....

I'd recommend hitting up a radio station, not the newspaper--cause that won't get you anywhere in video or music really, and it won't teach you anything relevant to video or music either...

Apr 2, 2006
My preference is to work for a label. I also would like to work for a production company, studio, or managment company. My major is in business managment. I have thought about working for a radio station but from my perspective I am not sure if I would be getting experience I felt valuable for what I want to do. My goal is to start as an A&R or basically any other job for a label.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
You're gonna have a hard time starting out as that unless you know a shit load of people or you start your own label. You should try looking up the production companies, studios, and management companies around your area or wherever you're trying to do your internship. I doubt most rap studios do internships that would actually help you learn shit and I don't think most schools would count it unless you could prove you did the work.

Doin the radio thing might be a good idea, that could be the only way to get your foot in the door, and you never know...maybe you'll meet some people who own labels or some shit who might be looking to give someone a job...