interface or a mic pre & sound card

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
for $300 and under should i go for the interface with built in mic pre or seperate the two and get a mic pre and sound card??

I know the less equiptment in the chain the better quality but im trying to get an idea of what you guys suggest..

I was looking at the Lexicon Omega and also some M-audio interfaces..

and for the two seperate I was going to go with the Pre-sonus TubePRE and a M-Audio Delta 66..

I've had the Delta 66 and TubePre before.. but im trying to see if an interface with both combined would be that drastic of a difference..

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
YOUNG K9 said:
I know the less equiptment in the chain the better quality

not nessisarily just less coloring of the original sound, if your unit has shitty converters thats what your stuck with. Most pres on audio interfaces are pretty much utility grade, i wouldnt expect grade A performance out of them especially under 3 bills. I never heard anyone say anything bad about the m-audio delta series, I'd take that 300 and try to get yourself a decent mic pre with it. What do you have now?

Apr 25, 2002
well i HAD the presonus TubePRE running that into the delta 66.. the sound was strait.. im in the process of getting my equipment back up after selling it for the millionth time lol... i liked the sound i was gettin with that combo i was just tryna see if the less connections would be that much difference..

i was just chopping it up wit my boy tho.. he said the pre's in the interfaces are shitty specially the one's in the $300 and under range.. so im thinking bout just going with the tubePRE/Delta 66 again like I had.. but maybe update the Pre.. anybody have the blueTUBE?????

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
I currently own the Lexicon Omega and it does the job and it does it very well.The built in preamps are not what you want but it offers all the ins and outs most home/project studios will need. Get yourself a good preamp like Universal Audio has one for about $1000.00. I know it's quite a bit but it will make all the difference again another issue comes into play as to which mic you use. Mics also play a big part in the sound just to tell you the Antares Mic Modeler is good but realy doesn't do anything you can do the same with a EQ yourself. My suggestion is to save a little bit more and go with a good setup that you can be truly proud of and be like yea this is good shit. Best of luck

Feb 20, 2003
Whatever you decide to buy, let's face it; you wont get too much high fidelity with your 300$. So I'd advise remember not to overload the preamp.. I've mixed some badly recorded songs which were recorded way too hot considering the preamps' quality and the distortion really have made my ears bleed.
So when recording with low quality amp, try to hit -15dBfs (~0dbVU) maximum at your recording software and you'll be fine.

Apr 25, 2002
shit i aint even knowin about recording levels, i just record.. good shit either way..

anybody eva heard of the adk vienna mic?? ive been doin my research and peeped audio tracks and whanot.. sounds clean for the price range im looking for.. was compared with the c1 but with a smoother brighter side.. aint neva heard of the mic before some research but i might go with that instead of the c3 that im used to.

on a side note.. anybody need a $320 mic brand new ( the studio projects C3) for $220.. i got the plug on this website and shit even had me thinkin bout buying me anotha one..

Apr 25, 2002
Big E said:
I would go with an EMU 1212M and a ART Tube PAC if you wanna go cheap.
yea both of them are in my price range good look..

its either that or the tubePRE/ delta 66 combo

and i got a delta 44 sound card for sale if anyone wants it

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
dont matter what you get but you NEED a chain of pre-amp, compressor to hardware, then you add your hardware effects over that clean line you just got in from the chain .... go to any real studio without that chain?

ohh and it starts at a good mic