In the name of science, I wonder what would happen if...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
...I posted this in the Open Forum.

NO MORE RAPPERS
By Karlie Hustle

I’ve already received quite an inbox response to my new "status update" that reads "Karlie Hustle is not adding anymore rappers to her friends list". I’ve made the paramount decision to stop adding rappers on MySpace. I’ve disabled the feature so they can’t even try to add me anymore.

Truth be told, I’ll have 20 friend requests on MySpace and 19 of them are rappers. 18 of the 19 should quit immediately. They are a horrible joke and are wasting their lives clogging the channels of creativity for the few talented cats out there. They’ll wake up one day when they’re 34 and realize the 455 copies of their mixtapes that they sold during the entire duration of their careers really haven’t paid the bills. Hopefully, they’ll put down the blunt at that time, get a few of their neck tattoos removed, and go looking for a real job at the local gas station (which is probably all they’ll be qualified for, sadly).

I hope at least a few of the men in our generation are studying to become doctors or lawyers or teachers. No, you guys probably won’t get all the skanks and STDs that the rappers have, but at least you can’t age out of teaching. That’s something you can do forever. Unfortunately, rapping isn’t.

Being a rapper USED to be cool. I’ve spent many years running assist to careers and helping folks along with advice and whatever looks I have been able to provide. Some were grateful, others publicly humiliated me or called me out of my name when they didn’t get what they wanted. I still and always will have a place in my heart for the true artists. I will continue to help those I believe have not only the talent, but also the drive, brains and the tact that it takes to exist in an industry like this.

I remember the days when Hip-Hop had real stars. If you saw Biggie or Pac in the mall, you’d go apeshit. It was something you’d dream of. Now, we have people like Dolla and 2 Pistols with hit records (no diss, I’m just being honest) that could walk through AZ Mills and go unrecognized. They are ringtone rappers. The profession of rapping itself is becoming a joke. People throw up a MySpace page and call themselves a musician. It takes a lot more than a keyboard and a computer to qualify you as an MC. Have some respect for the craft, for Christ’s sake.

Diversify, my peoples. We can’t all spit hot fire like Dylan for a living.

Jun 27, 2005
I agree. I'm pretty much to the point where I don't even care about rap anymore, which is crazy cause I used to love damn near everything about it. I don't know if I'm growing out of it, or if the quality of music has really just dropped off that much. There's always been shitty rappers but there used to be enough good ones to make up for it. Now it seems like everything that comes out (mainstream or underground) is rushed with no musicianship or creativity, no substance and is built on some ignorant but catchy hook with some 808s and stabbing synths behind it. there are still some good artists out there, but even still, the majority of the artists that are considered good today would be average or slightly above average in 96.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Yea, it's a sad world.

"MySpace music pages ruined hip-hop." Discuss.
Everything new and dynamic eventually becomes static and watered down because of the mainstream media and because most people are sheep and can't be creative and feel the need to copy shit that's already been done. Especially if it's all over the place, like things on MTV or Myspace or the radio. People quit trying to come up with new and creative things ever since the mainstream media bombards us with what's "good", "cool", "hip" or whatever the fuck you wanna call it...

Myspace is the epitome of something that is watered down by mainstream media. If it's big on there, you know it's no longer dynamic and has become static.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
LOL

that was great

its too real for them to understand

yeah, i agree that Myspace music pages fucked everything up pretty bad lol

im guilty of it too, but at least i make quality music

Sep 26, 2007
I agree myspace fucked things up, but just like what you did...all you have to do is click all, and deny friend request or just block bands right? that's why my homie TOM added that feature. It's a new age, fuckin 11 year olds on the internet posting videos and remixing souljah boys music and all that. I'm 26, we older now but the youngins luv it...let them have their fun. It does take time and creativity to do anything nowadays. But I guess I'm just looking at it from their shoes and yours also.

You should write something about how girls take some sexy ass pictures and post their whole damn lives up on myspace for everyone to read. Some half naked pictures that just misleads a dude on the other end of myspace, thinkin he will be able to holla at get some myspace ass. You should talk about the girls that are 14 years old pretending to be 17 or 18 or whatever. Or the girls who are just on the internet, in love with themselves and just taking pictures cus they love it and showing it off because they need attention? man am i running my mouth off or what? fuck it, myspace got alot of bunk music because you can buy all the equipment to record music on for dirt cheap nowadays. now if you know how to use it is a different story. but foo's just trying to get attention and get a quick buck. if they are serious they wouldn't just be on myspace trying to make it big. obviously those are the stupid dummy retarded ones that don't know nothing about nothing. use your features and myspace.

excuse my highness

May 9, 2002
I agree. I'm pretty much to the point where I don't even care about rap anymore, which is crazy cause I used to love damn near everything about it. I don't know if I'm growing out of it, or if the quality of music has really just dropped off that much. There's always been shitty rappers but there used to be enough good ones to make up for it. Now it seems like everything that comes out (mainstream or underground) is rushed with no musicianship or creativity, no substance and is built on some ignorant but catchy hook with some 808s and stabbing synths behind it. there are still some good artists out there, but even still, the majority of the artists that are considered good today would be average or slightly above average in 96.
rap was fucked up long before myspace came along. Myspace just lets you know how many shitty rappers there actually are.
/thread

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
You should write something about how girls take some sexy ass pictures and post their whole damn lives up on myspace for everyone to read. Some half naked pictures that just misleads a dude on the other end of myspace, thinkin he will be able to holla at get some myspace ass. You should talk about the girls that are 14 years old pretending to be 17 or 18 or whatever. Or the girls who are just on the internet, in love with themselves and just taking pictures cus they love it and showing it off because they need attention? man am i running my mouth off or what? fuck it, myspace got alot of bunk music because you can buy all the equipment to record music on for dirt cheap nowadays. now if you know how to use it is a different story. but foo's just trying to get attention and get a quick buck. if they are serious they wouldn't just be on myspace trying to make it big. obviously those are the stupid dummy retarded ones that don't know nothing about nothing. use your features and myspace.
Lolz @ this. Nice transition back to the topic at hand mid-way through! You kept it on track in the end. Brilliant.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
rap was fucked up long before myspace came along. Myspace just lets you know how many shitty rappers there actually are.
Yea, I agree. And I think it also made other "normal" people think they can rap because it's so easy to throw up a page. Plus, it's all about the "normal" people now. We sit around and watch "normal" people's lives on TV (aka reality shows) and call it entertainment.

Aug 5, 2004
www.myspace.com
I think the business has gotten so disconnected from the art. So anybody who started to listen to hip-hip after the 90's got the bad left over’s, now those people want to be rappers.

They understand the business more and how to get you name out there but they don’t understand the art. And people are so lazy to really study this hip-hop shit also, they don’t care about the history that existed before Tupac and Biggie.

Hip-Hop from the beginning also respected and studied other genres of music. But the new generation is only inspired by hip-hop so we hear all this recycled bullshit.

Also back in the day you had to be respected or some accepted by your hood or local community. Now you can make a myspace proflie put my music up with no ones consent. Talent shows in the hood were really fierce but that shit made everybody grow.

Apr 8, 2005
i fully agree, i used to love to rap as well, but ive slowed way down on that as well, its like raps a joke, im not even proud to be known as the friendly neighborhood rapper around here anymore

Sep 26, 2007
"What? You don't recognize me, girl? I'm only the biggest rapper in your apartment complex!" --Phonte of Little Brother

It's more like..

"What??!?? You don't recognize me from myspace? I have about 20,000 friends that I added all in one click and I post banners and flyers all day in peoples comments! I'm the best at this hustle...but can I borrow some money so I can pay for my gas cus it's $3.69 a gallon in my city.