If you work/have worked at a theater tell us some stories.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Others – feel free to add your questions.

What’s the most outlandish thing that has happened to you while working? And/or happened while you were working, but not specifically involving you?

Any drunk/drug use stories either involving you or patrons or other employees?

Any sex stories?

What do you think of the theater business? Would you want to run your own theater/open your own? What do you think could be done differently to make things better/what is being done wrong?

Do you come up on any swag? Like posters, actual film reels, etc?

Anyone famous come to your theater? Any experiences with famous people there?

What about people who sneak in?

Any bootlegers with cameras?

May 9, 2002
I worked at a theater when i was 15. One of my co-workers/friends was a crazy weirdo and did shit for his own personal enjoyment, even if it meant he would suffer a bit too.

The theater I worked at had a trash room where we stored all the trash bins for collecting the shit people leave behind after a movie. One day, we noticed a very foul odor coming from the room, more than just you're average popcorn and expired soda smell. Is the days went on, it got worse and worse. We finally realized it was the smell of fish. Rotten fish to be exact. We could not figure out where the fuck it was coming from. It finally got the point where it was probably a health hazard, and my buddy busts out laughing at the employee meeting. Apparently, this jerkoff went and bought a fish at the market next door, put it in the wall of the room, and just let it sit and rot. Why he found that funny, I have no idea. Either way, he ended up cleaning it up in a half-haz-mat suit complete with a breathing apparatus.

On a lighter note, the same guy who put the fish in the room, also had a brilliant scam to earn extra money. The theater makes money in selling food and drink, but not the way most think. Money is made from selling the vessels, such as the popcorn bags and soda cups, not the soda and popcorn themselves, thus offering free refills. So how did we scam the place? Well, we would clean the theaters, find the cups and bags in the best condition, and re-sell them. We just re-sold the already used bags to customers as if they were new. This way, the vessels were already "accounted" for and thus the company doesn't lose or gain anything. But we gained a lot. Sometimes over $100 extra a day. Gross? Absolutely. Profitable? Absolutely.

Sep 29, 2003
jesse maybe I missed what you did with the cups and bags....did you sell them yourself to patrons? Were you making that extra money yourself or was it made by the theatre? Sorry, I've read it 3 times and can't understand.....

May 9, 2002
jesse maybe I missed what you did with the cups and bags....did you sell them yourself to patrons? Were you making that extra money yourself or was it made by the theatre? Sorry, I've read it 3 times and can't understand.....
We just re-sold the already used bags to customers as if they were new. Thus, they were already accounted for and we got to pocket the money.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I'm out the door for a couple hours but when I get back I'll tell some stories. I might even be able to find a few articles about weird shit that happened at my theatre that was in The Stranger newspaper (local Seattle paper).

Apr 25, 2002
I wish I could make 60k/year (in this region) working at a record store/video store/movie theater. I'd have a different career if that were the case, but then I'd enjoy my job.