If You Grew Up In The 90's You Need This In Your Life...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 19, 2008
www.demencha.com

This is a DJ mix/collection of early-mid 90’s r&b tracks that I grew up on. I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure everything on this mix was released before ‘97. This mix has local implications. If Kansas Citians will remember, Hot 103, the city’s main hip hop station, refused to play hip hop during the daytime in this period.

So what I and what I would imagine a lot of other people grew up on by listening to Hot 103 in elementary/middle school were the Aaliyah’s, SWV’s, Jodeci’s and Brandy’s of the world. You can make jokes all you want, but this is what I loved back then, and still do to this day. This is by no means a “best of” 90’s r&b mix, just a few tracks that I remember from back in the day. Mark my words, you will hear a few joints in this mix that you may have not heard in over a decade.

To start the set, I mixed Sublime’s “Summertime” (I still consider this song “90’s soul,” if you will) with Mariah’s “Always Be My Baby” in attempt to drive home the point that summer is always a great time to reflect and reminisce on summers past. Perhaps even more appropriately, the last song on this mix is Michael Jackson’s “Remember The Time.“ The smell of fresh cut grass never ceases to trip me out. Next thing you know, we’ll be dusting off the aluminum baseball bats from our parents’ basement to swat lightning bugs after sunset in the backyard.

Enjoy!

tracklisting:

1. Mariah Carey – Always Be My Baby
2. Sublime – Summertime
3. Keith Sweat – Make It Last Forever
4. R. Kelly – Your Body’s Callin’
5. D’angelo – Lady
6. Aaliyah – If Your Girl Only Knew
7. Horace Brown – One For The Money
8. Keith Sweat – Twisted
9. Brandy – Baby
10. Adina Howard – Freak Like Me
11. Jodeci – Get On Up
12. Aaliyah feat. R. Kelly – Back And Forth (Remix)
13. Des’ree – You Gotta Be
14. Diana King – Shy Guy (DJ Slick Extended Mix)
15. Soul For Real – Candy Rain
16. SWV – Be Right Here
17. Mary J. Blige – Real Love
18. Brownstone – If You Love Me
19. Raja-Nee – Turn It Up
20. Janet Jackson – That’s The Way Love Goes
21. Soul For Real – Every Little Thing I Do
22. Soul II Soul – Back To Life (12” Mix)
23. Mariah Carey – Fantasy
24. Tony Toni Tone feat. DJ Quik – Let’s Get Down
25. Jade – Don’t Walk Away
26. Joe Public – Live And Learn
27. Michael Jackson – Remember The Time

DOWNLOAD HERE