Idaho Sen. Craig to resign Saturday in storm over sex sting at an airport men's room

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 9, 2004
WHAT A SUMMER FOR THE REPUBLICAN SENATOR

By John Miller
ASSOCIATED PRESS

4:48 p.m. August 31, 2007

BOISE, Idaho – Idaho Republican Sen. Larry Craig will resign from the Senate amid a furor over his arrest and guilty plea in a police sex sting in an airport men's room, Republican officials said Friday.
Craig will announce at a news conference in Boise Saturday morning that he will resign effective Sept. 30, four state GOP officials told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Word of the resignation came four days after the disclosure that Craig had pleaded guilty to a reduced misdemeanor charge arising out of his June 11 arrest during a lewd-conduct investigation at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

The three-term Republican senator had maintained that he did nothing wrong except for making the guilty plea without consulting a lawyer. But he found almost no support among Republicans in his home state or Washington.

Idaho Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter appeared Friday to have already settled on a successor: Lt. Gov. Jim Risch, according to several Republicans familiar with internal deliberations.

Craig's spokesman, Dan Whiting, had said earlier that the senator would announce his career plans Saturday. The spokesman would not say whether Craig intended to resign.

Craig has been out of public view since Tuesday, when he declared defiantly at a Boise news conference: “I am not gay. I never have been gay.” But Republican sources in Idaho said he spent Friday making calls to top party officials, including the governor, gauging their support.

There has been virtually none publicly.

Asked Friday at the White House if the senator should resign, President Bush said nothing and walked off stage.

Republican officeholders and party leaders maintained a steady drumbeat of actions and words aimed at persuading Craig to vacate his Senate seat.

GOP lawmakers, hoping to get the embarrassment to the party behind them quickly, stripped Craig of leadership posts on Wednesday, one day after they called for an investigation of Craig's actions by the Senate Ethics Committee. Craig complied with the request.

With his wife, Suzanne, at his side, Craig said he had kept the incident from aides, friends and family and later pleaded guilty “in hopes of making it go away.”

Craig, 62, has represented Idaho in Congress for more than a quarter-century and was up for re-election next year.

Republican officeholders and party leaders wanted Craig to give up his seat in the Senate as soon as possible. Their preference, according to several officials, was for a successor to be selected and ready to take the oath of office when the Senate returns from its summer vacation next week.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell called Craig's conduct “unforgivable” and acknowledged that many in the rank and file thought Craig should resign.

Republicans, worried about the scandal's effect on next year's election, suffered a further setback Friday when veteran Virginia Sen. John Warner announced he will retire rather than seek a sixth term. Democrats captured Virginia's other Senate seat from the GOP in the 2006 election and have sought to line up former Gov. Mark Warner to run if the seat became open.

The contest for control of the next Senate was already tilted against Republicans, who must defend 22 of 34 seats on the ballot next year, before the Craig scandal and Warner's announcement.

With a GOP candidate other than Craig, Republicans would stand a much better chance of keeping his Idaho seat in 2008. Idaho is one of the nation's most reliably Republican states. The GOP controls the statehouse and all four seats in Congress, and Bush carried the state in 2004 with 68 percent of the vote.

Risch, the lieutenant governor, served for seven months as governor last year after former Gov. Dirk Kempthorne was named interior secretary. Risch had said earlier he was interested in Craig's Senate seat if Craig did not seek re-election in 2008.

Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, also had been mentioned as a possible replacement for Craig, but the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because Craig has not resigned, said Otter would choose Risch.

Mark Warbis, a spokesman for Otter, said the governor would not comment until he hears from Craig.

Craig served in the House before winning his first Senate term in 1990 and compiled a strongly conservative voting record.

On Thursday, the Minneapolis airport authorities released a tape recording of Craig's interrogation minutes after he encountered a plainclothes officer in an adjacent stall in an airport restroom.

Craig and airport police Sgt. Dave Karsnia disagreed about virtually everything that had occurred – including whether there was a piece of paper on the floor of the stall and the meaning of the senator's hand gestures.

Craig denied that he had used foot and hand gestures to signal interest in a sexual encounter.

“I'm not gay. I don't do these kinds of things,” Craig told the officer. “You shouldn't be out to entrap people.”

Karsnia accused Craig of lying and grew exasperated with his denials.

“Embarrassing, embarrassing. No wonder why we're going down the tubes,” Karsnia said.

Daly reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Todd Dvorak in Boise and David Espo and Liz Sidoti in Washington contributed to this report.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Craig pleads guilty in airport restroom incident
By Jared S. Hopkins
Times-News writer

WASHINGTON - A report Monday that U.S. Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, was arrested in June on charges of lewd conduct in a Minnesota airport men's room left Idaho's political circle stunned and unsure of how to react.

Craig was arrested June 11 at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport by a plain-clothes police officer looking into complaints about activity in a public restroom, Roll Call, a news organization that intensely covers Capitol Hill, reported on its Web site Monday.

The revelation, coming nearly 20 days after Craig quietly entered a guilty plea, paid a fine and was placed on a year's probation, prompted the state's senior senator to resign as the Senate co-chair of Mitt Romney's presidential campaign.

"He didn't want to be a distraction, and we accept his decision," the Romney campaign told CNN.

In a statement released late Monday, Craig said he did nothing improper.

"At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct," Craig said. "I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."

Few Idaho political figures would comment when asked what the future might hold for Craig.

Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter, who was in Ketchum with Craig attending to the Castle Rock Fire on Sunday, was notified of the arrest by phone call at about 3 p.m. but declined comment, said spokesman Jon Hanian.

"He got a phone call and pulled me aside," he said of Otter, who on Monday was in Salmon for his Capital for a Day program. "He is not commenting until he's had an opportunity to talk to Larry Craig directly."

Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo and U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson also declined comment through their media representatives, who said neither knew of the arrest until it was reported. A spokesman for Rep. Bill Sali also declined comment.

"It's certainly not good," said Idaho House Assistant Majority Leader Scott Bedke, R-Oakley, who paused, then added, "for anybody."

A spokesman for the Idaho Democratic Party said Craig should have told Idahoans about the arrest sooner.

"The people of Idaho would have been better served if they'd heard this from the senator when it happened, rather than so long after the fact," Democrats' spokesman Chuck Oxley said.

Craig has not said if he will seek re-election in 2008. It is unclear what the impact Monday's news might have on a campaign if he does run. Former Congressman Larry LaRocco, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for the job, could not be reached for comment Monday.

The news surprised some former Craig staffers. Greg Smith, who was Craig's regional director for three years in Boise, said he was taken aback by the news.

"I never saw anything that would indicate anything like that," he said of Craig's alleged behavior. "There was certainly nothing with stereotypes that was blatant or a slim wrist, nothing of that nature at all."

In pleading guilty to the charge, Craig paid $1,575 in fine and fees and was placed on unsupervised probation for a year, according to a court document obtained by the Times-News. A sentence of 10 days in a county workhouse was stayed. A charge of interference with privacy was dismissed.

According to the report obtained by Roll Call, the incident unfolded as following:

The arresting officer, Sgt. Dave Karsnia, entered the airport men's room at noon on June 11.

Airport police previously had made numerous arrests in connection with sexual activity in the men's restroom of the Northstar Crossing in the Lindbergh Terminal, Roll Call reported.

Karsnia said that about 13 minutes after he took a seat in a stall he could see "an older white male with grey hair standing outside my stall." That man was later identified as Craig.

"I could see Craig look through the crack in the door from his position. Craig would look down at his hands, 'fidget' with his fingers, and then look through the crack into my stall again. Craig would repeat this cycle for about two minutes," Karsnia reported.

Craig, who wore dress pants with black dress shoes, entered the stall next to Karsnia's and placed his rolling suitcase against the stall door.

"My experience has shown that individuals engaging in lewd conduct use their bags to block the view from the front of their stall," Karsnia wrote. "From my seated position, I could observe the shoes and ankles of Craig seated to the left of me.

"At 1216 hours, Craig tapped his right foot. I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct. Craig tapped his toes several times and moved his foot closer to my foot. I moved my foot up and down slowly. While this was occurring, the male in the stall to my right was still present. I could hear several unknown persons in the restroom that appeared to use the restroom for its intended use. The presence of others did not seem to deter Craig as he moved his right foot so that it touched the side of my left foot which was within my stall area."

Craig moved his hand under the stall divider, and Karsnia wrote that "I could ... see Craig had a gold ring on his ring finger as his hand was on my side of the stall divider."

Karsnia said he then held his police identification near the floor where Craig could see it.

"With my left hand near the floor, I pointed towards the exit. Craig responded, 'No!' I again pointed towards the exit. Craig exited the stall with his roller bags without flushing the toilet. ... Craig said he would not go. I told Craig that he was under arrest, he had to go, and that I didn't want to make a scene. Craig then left the restroom."

In a recorded interview after his arrest, Craig "either disagreed with me or 'didn't recall' the events as they happened," the officer wrote.

Craig stated "that he has a wide stance when going to the bathroom and that his foot may have touched mine," the report states. Craig said he was reaching down for a piece of paper on the floor.

"It should be noted that there was not a piece of paper on the bathroom floor, nor did Craig pick up a piece of paper," the officer said in the report.

While being questioned in an airport office, Craig produced a business card that identified him as a U.S. senator and said, "What do you think about that?" according to a police report.

Craig was fingerprinted, photographed and issued a summons after being held for about 45 minutes. June 11 was a Monday. Senate records show that Craig was present in the chamber and cast his vote in favor of CLEAN Energy Act of 2007 at 6:16 p.m.

Smith, the former staffer, said it is possible though unlikely that Craig thought the incident would go unnoticed.

"I can't believe in my wildest dreams that he would've thought this was all going to hide or all go away," he said. "I have to believe he thought, 'this is so minor, it'd be like a speeding ticket or something,' and that's it."

Rumors about Craig's sexual orientation have dogged him for decades, though Smith said the rumors were often a case of misinterpretation.

"Maybe he just looked so neat and so nice and it was somewhat out of character for a farming kid from Midvale that enhanced the quote perception of him being gay," Smith said.

On Aug. 8, when Craig pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in a Minnesota court, he appeared via satellite at a ceremony that took place in Idaho in which former Idaho District Judge Randy Smith was invested into his new position as a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, according to Roll Call.

Click here for official police report:
http://www.magicvalley.com/misc/permarchive/craig_report.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Humbled' Craig to resign
Almost three decades of public service to end Sept. 30
By Patti Murphy-Times-News correspondent

BOISE - U.S. Sen. Larry Craig, who has represented Idaho in Washington for nearly 27 years, surrendered to nationwide calls for his resignation Saturday, saying he will leave office at the end of the month.

Craig's announcement ended a startling week as the Idaho senator was embarrassed by revelations that he had pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge stemming from a same-sex solicitation incident in a Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport men's room. Even though Craig maintained that he was in fact innocent, few Senate Republicans came to his defense while party leadership said he should go.

On Saturday, he bowed to the demands, saying he will leave the Senate on Sept. 30 to allow a smooth transition for his staff and the replacement to be appointed by Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter.

About 250 people, half onlookers and half media, attended Saturday's news conference at the historic Boise Depot. Amid both applause and catcalls, Craig, his wife Suzanne, and two of his three adopted children, Mike and Shae, walked to a lectern placed to give onlookers a panoramic vista of the city with the Capitol in the distance.

Behind Craig stood Otter and his wife, Lori; Congressman Bill Sali; Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna, and Kirk Sullivan, director of the Idaho Republican Party.

Craig's statement took less than five minutes, during which time he thanked those who stood with him, and acknowledged, "For any public official, at this moment in time, to be standing with Larry Craig is in itself a humbling experience."

He continued: "To Idahoans I represent, to my staff, my Senate colleagues, but most importantly to my wife and my family, I apologize for what I have caused. I am deeply sorry."

Saying that "my name is important to me, and my family is so very important also," Craig also acknowledged that pursuing future legal options in the case would be a "distraction" of his job and for his colleagues.

"The people of Idaho deserve a senator who can devote 100 percent of his time and effort to the critical issues of our state and our nation," he said, noting that "these are serious times of war."

At the end of Craig's statement, a heckler yelled to Otter, "I will never vote Republican again. Never!"

Other protesters held signs that made references to Craig's arrest in the men's room.

John Foster, director of the Idaho Democratic Party, said that the senator's announcement was not necessarily a happy one for Idaho's Democrats.

"We're Idahoans," he said. "Like everyone who watched today, we're saddened by what this state has been through. The national media attention is not what any of us like to see. It's nice to know that Sen. Craig did the right thing, the honorable thing. It's nice to know that he finally did step aside so we can move beyond it."

Foster noted that his party chose to stay quiet as the airport incident came to light. "All we're focused on is making sure is that where we go forward from here is going to reflect what Idahoans really want," he said. "That we move in a positive way that reflects the independent spirit of the state."

Foster called on Otter to have an open, public process for appointing Craig's successor. He also suggested that Otter appoint someone who does not want to run for the seat next year - a move that would help level the playing field for a Democratic hopeful.

"We need to make sure that someone can get in there and serve very well and honorably that reflects Idaho's independent values and spirit over the next year, and then step aside and let the people elect the next senator," he said. "The important thing is not to rush right now to an appointment based on political expediency."

In a statement on his Web site later in the day, Craig said he had not yet determined whether he will return to Washington to attend hearings and vote on bills.

A broad variety of politically active Idahoans of all political stripes attended the announcement. Among them was Bryan Fischer, executive director of the conservative Idaho Values Alliance organization, who had publicly called for Craig's resignation immediately after learning of the senator's guilty plea.

"We believe character is an important qualification for public service therefore we think it's appropriate for the senator to step down," Fischer said.

When asked why other Idaho Republicans were unwilling to join national GOP leaders in asking Craig to resign, Fischer said, "The senator put the Republican leadership in this state in a pretty difficult position. I think it was hard for them to come out in public support of the senator because they were afraid there might be some substance to the charges. But at the same time they didn't want to criticize publicly someone who has been a colleague and a friend.

Toni Lawson, Craig's health policy adviser in Washington D.C. from 2003 to 2005, wiped away tears as she spoke of her daily interaction with Craig, her admiration for his work, and her sadness for the senator's family.

"Regardless of any allegation or action, he's done nothing but represent Idaho with utmost integrity for so long, and whether people agree with him or not on a particular issue, I don't think you could ever doubt his integrity behind the issues," she said. "I hope Idaho can be compassionate to one of their own."

Jody May-Chang, editor of pridedepot.com, a Web site for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered, said that while she is not a supporter of Craig and his policies, she agreed his resignation was sad for the state.

"I'm sorry to see him go under these circumstances," she said. "It's been embarrassing for the gay community. It's not representative of the kind of behavior that we live in our daily lives, and unfortunately the perception among his followers, if you will, believe that to be true and consequently they're throwing him under the bus for that.

"His voting record is clearly part of the reason that he's in the predicament that he's in right now. The kind of homophobic legislation that he votes for and equality legislation that he votes against creates situations like this for thousands of Americans across the country where they can't feel comfortable about who they are."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 9, 2004
REdRUM said:

Jody May-Chang, editor of pridedepot.com, a Web site for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered, said that while she is not a supporter of Craig and his policies, she agreed his resignation was sad for the state.

"I'm sorry to see him go under these circumstances," she said. "It's been embarrassing for the gay community. It's not representative of the kind of behavior that we live in our daily lives, and unfortunately the perception among his followers, if you will, believe that to be true and consequently they're throwing him under the bus for that.

"His voting record is clearly part of the reason that he's in the predicament that he's in right now. The kind of homophobic legislation that he votes for and equality legislation that he votes against creates situations like this for thousands of Americans across the country where they can't feel comfortable about who they are."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damm, even the Gays feel sorry for his perverted ass.