i replaced my cd burner now my cd rom quit on me!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
damn i just had the burner replaced.it did'nt take a couple days we just waited in the store this time.

got back home burned a cd.

then i was showing my brother sumthing on nero so i loaded a cd.then the cd would'nt load.i tried to get my cd back and it would'nt spit out.

then this is the wierd part i forgot about the cd and uninstalled real juke box i've had for years.and the stupid part is real jukebox installs it'self to be my default cd player.

i did'nt want that so i uninstalled it.

then i remembered my cd again and tried to have it spit out and it would'nt come out.

i restarted my computer and then i noticed that my cd rom would'nt be recognized by my computer at all.

keep in mind my cd rom quit before i uninstalled the jukebox.

now i call comp usa and they say if the cd rom has nothing to do with the burner they will charge me 99 dollars if i want to get it fixed by them.

right now i'm thinking they can say anything to get 99 dollars offa me and i won't let that happen.

my question is whut went wrong?

i'm thinking the quick installation fucked up my cd rom.

i don't think uninstalling a stupid music program got nothing to do with it.

i found the jukebox program in my files and it says my cd rom is'nt detected either.all my players don't detect my cd rom???

i want to know whut may be going on before i take it to the store so they can't lie to me.

please if anyone can help please do.

Apr 25, 2002
one more thing...

my computer when it's starting up and detecting it's components recognizes my cd rom but when it's finished loading and i'm trying to use the cd rom in windows it can't be found.

hopefully my cd rom is'nt broken and only sum files or drivers have errors.

i think that's my problem but not really sure cause i don't know everthing about computers.

Aug 6, 2002
i see....it probably recognizes your burner not your cd-rom. Open your pc up and make sure you have the power plugged into the cdrom and make sure the ide (grey ribbon like cable) is plugged in all the way. Also make sure that the cable is plugged in all the way on your mother board.

May 4, 2002
You can buy a new cd-rom for less than $50.

Don't pay to get it fixed, buy a new one.

You're cd-rom might have been the problem the whole time, like I had mentioned earlier.

It might not have been able to read the cd fast enough to record it correctly. I had that same problem on my old computer. Got a faster (50X) cd-rom and it was all gravity.

Also, you don't have to uninstall realjukebox, just so it won't be your default cd player. You can change the settings on the Tools menu. Go to preferences and you can change it from there.

Apr 25, 2002
real jukebox did'nt fuck up my cd rom did it?

i doubt that i unistall things all the time.

as i mentioned earlier my cd rom shows up before the computer starts up on the black screen with all the info.my burner shows up both of them show up in the list of components detected along with the mouse and keyboard.

but when i try to use the cd rom or any program that relates to the cd rom they can't find the cd rom.

it says there is no cd rom installed.

my brother gave up and is returning the burner today so i want them to fix my cd rom for free cause i think the burner fucked it up.

if they will charge me i will take your advice and buy a new cd rom.

good idea.

Aug 6, 2002
When you installed your cd burner you might have knocked one of the cables loose, check your cables. If not it might be a driver issue.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

I think this has something to do with the jumper blocks on the back of the CD burner. The ribbon cable inside your computer that attaches to the cd-rom and the burner should have a shorter cable and a longer one. The jumper block on whatever is attached to the longer ribbon should be set to "master". The other device should be set to "slave".

Aug 6, 2002
I think this has something to do with the jumper blocks on the back of the CD burner. The ribbon cable inside your computer that attaches to the cd-rom and the burner should have a shorter cable and a longer one. The jumper block on whatever is attached to the longer ribbon should be set to "master". The other device should be set to "slave".
If that were the case I don't think it would read the cdrom on boot up....

Apr 25, 2002
whutever it is i hope and i think it is the fault of the installer at comp usa.

he did it on the spot and took about 20 minutes.

normally they do it in a day.

it worked once then it just quit on me.

one of my speakers is fucked up too and it did'nt work when i got my computer back the first time we got the burner but that did'nt bother me so much.

if they can fix my cd rom then i won't worry about it.

i just don't want them to charge me cause i won't get it fixed any time soon.

i'll just buy a new cd rom.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

pitty4thebitti said:

If that were the case I don't think it would read the cdrom on boot up....
It could be if it loads the cd-rom drivers first and then the drivers for the burner. It wont recognize the first piece of hardware...

Apr 25, 2002
i found an error it secondary ide controler (dual fifo)

i went and got the cd copier uninstalled and we returened it for a refund.

then i told them my cd rom is fucked up and they said they could'nt do anything cause they are'nt getting paid.

so they were gonna burn me.

i was like fuck.

when i got my computer back they said the cd rom is fixed and working now.

that was a close one.i almost got fucked.

then when i came home and tested it out on boot up it read my cd rom then said system configuration updated.

checked to see if the cd rom worked and it did.

so i looked into systems and the error for secondary ide controler was fixed.

so could that be the problem???

Aug 6, 2002
That's good that you got it fixed. I don't think it had anything to do with your music skipping...You should invest in a better quality burner.

Apr 25, 2002
my brother decided to get a cd to cd burner those ones that look like dvd players.

he don't mind spending the money as long as it works.

he saves all his money so i know he'll buy one in the near future.