I love the NW to death, but.....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 14, 2003
WE NEED TO STEP IT UP.
I'm so fucking sick of buying albums with 2 or 3 good songs on them, and just wasting my money. There's the artists that come dope on everything, good lyrics, good beats, good songs as a whole, but there's so many more out there that just aint that tight, and I wish it wasnt like that, and I wish I could do somethin about it, but I dont know man... speak on this subject. let me know what yall think.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
There have been mabey 2-3 northwest CD's that I've paid for that I felt ripped off. And it hasn't happened recently, because I only buy from people who I know and trust. If I buy your CD, it's because I'm down to support you and respect the fact that you're making the Northwest scene a better place. If I don't buy your CD, sorry man... prove to me that you're in it for the long haul. You gotta win me over, in all cases. Fortunately, there's a lot of quality music out there.

Apr 14, 2003
for sure. I'm not takin away from the cats that are doin their thang, but im sick of wanna-be rappers that dont even know how the game goes. maybe its just in my city i dont know

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
^exactly. everyone even mainstream artists have times like this. What Im really waiting to see is a NW artist who is willin to do the club tracks and the top 40 ish and all that to get the NW to the masses. Theres a lot of talent but w/ the typical hip hop head around here u aint gonna get much of a chance.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Nothing will happen without (all-NW) Mixtapes and a solid NW website. Bootleg DVDs would be a great touch. I've said this before and will continue to say it. All of these 3 things push weak artists out by raising the standards, and allow only those who deserve it to have the spotlight.

Allow me to partially adopt Xpanther's stance on this one. This area is 80% White, and White people don't just go buying shit they've never heard of, regardless if its local or not.

I think our generation "watched" 50 Cent come up "Overnight" but they don't realize how much work he put in. They don't think they have to pay dues, or put in work. I think that's a major part of the problem.

Cats don't breathe hip hop. They're after the fame and fortune. They expect after a few hot tracks that people will notice. They expect the limo to roll up to their doorstep. They arn't out promotin, selling, or doing anything to imporve their situation. Hopin a little internet buzz will take them all the way.

Kids, nothing happens overnight. Hustle. CLP is making "Emerald City" to help put Seattle on the map, and we've contacted so many local artists we think are good, but a lot of them don't even have the interest or motivation to even sit down with us for 5 minutes to tell them about the project. But, eventually they will either sink or swim.

Apr 25, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
Allow me to partially adopt Xpanther's stance on this one. This area is 80% White, and White people don't just go buying shit they've never heard of, regardless if its local or not.
Yeah my 'demographic deterministic' approach (that our area is BY FAR the least black urbanized area in the USA) really explains why I don't think any gangster rap has got a shot nationally (b/c white people, black people, ALL people in those other places don't want to hear gangster rap from a city they don't perceive as gangster). This is tough reality for me to swallow b/c my favorite rap from the NW is the gangster shit.

This approach says nothing about why the folks here don't support their own. It also says nothing about non-gangster rap. I have had two buddies of mine from New York City go crazy over Seattle hip-hop, one was for the Blue Scholars, the other was for Macklemore (both non-black, non-gangster, conscious-type rap music).

So I now think it is possible, but ONLY if you fit a certain mold. And most of the artists the siccness fans love, myself included, do not fit that certain mold, so they have literally no chance.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
They enjoy the Backpacker NW Rap, the same way we like foreigners who say things like "Wassup?" or "What it Do?". Its a condescending thing, not a respect thing. They like us as long as we sound like them and are their Mini-Mes.

"ALL people in those other places don't want to hear gangster rap from a city they don't perceive as gangster"

Exactly why I bring up DVDs all the time. Your favorite gangster rappers really might be that cool `in person', when they're not 'acting' the part online or at a show. But if its only 10 people that get to see them behind closed doors.....its hard to get that out there.

Its one thing to put on a good show, and be nice, and sign the autographs, and even smoke a blunt or two with fans....but after all that...then what? What does this artist do for fun? What kind of TV or video games do they like? What does the inside of their house or home studio look like? What are their non-Rapper/Producer friends and associates like? What kind of mood are they usually in when they aren't cheesing and politicing?

Take some nerdy wannabe, and they cannot pass these tests. It will not happen. People will see books and neatly-folded beds, and glasses-wearing Abercrombie-sporting dorky-looking friends, and all this other kind of shit, and put 2 and 2 together that this person isn't who they say they are. On the other hand, you take someone that raps about it....then you go to their hood and their area and see their people, and it really is that...its a whole new outlook.

I'll leave it to someone else to say "The music is what matters", "Sooner or later, it'll happen", and all this other sappy, dont-hurt-anyone's-feelings utopian shit. In the real world, we need to see artists and actors when they aren't "in character" to see how they really are and know if they are really worth all this money and time they expect you to invest in them.

Apr 25, 2002
Dirty Shoez said:
I'll leave it to someone else to say "The music is what matters", "Sooner or later, it'll happen", and all this other sappy, dont-hurt-anyone's-feelings utopian shit. In the real world, we need to see artists and actors when they aren't "in character" to see how they really are and know if they are really worth all this money and time they expect you to invest in them.
Interesting idea with the DVD. Very interesting. I think it should be focused on in-house stuff, the people in their lives b/c physically, there aren't many spots in the NW that "look" hard b/c we are too new. I drive down a road in Mpls that's hard and I know it, you don't have that same visual thing going on in Seattle.

And I am glad that you mock that "the music is what matters" line of thinking because that could not be further from the truth. Hell there isn't even such a thing as "truth" in the maximum-subjective world of an art form, aka music. In my OPINION, some of the music from our area has been outstanding. They ain't blowing up. The music has been there, is there and will be there. It's the image attached to it and the geographic disadvantage that has, is and will continue to hold the NW rap scene back.

Apr 25, 2002
D'struction said:
what about Wisconsin, Montana, North Dakota?? Ive never even been there but you would think its mostly whites
Wisconsin: Milwaukee is 39% black (Seattle is 8%, Portland 6% for reference). Milwaukee is #1 in a) segregation index b) black-white income disparity c) black incarceration rate d) fewest black males with college degree per capita. There is nothing remotely close to the Northwest side of Milwaukee in Seattle or Portland.

Montana and North Dakota are not urbanized to the degree that I am talking about.

Seattle and Portland are not the whitest metro areas, but they are the least black, there's a distinction there.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
You are really off the hook in this thread, friend Xpanther. Both your knowledge of these truths and your boldness to put forward and explain them are impressive.

The main place where we differ is in that "It's the image attached to it and the geographic disadvantage that has", not only holds back the NW, but will continue to hold it back, sans a qualifier such as '(for the time being)' or '(at least for now)'. It is my impression that you have, in a way, resigned yourself to and accepted these things as if they are the plotted course of events and cannot be altered. I am forced to reject this perception, though this thing may result in having been percieved by me alone.

With a lack of organization and framework, it is difficult for even the most original of ideas to take flight. Reggaeton for example was originally developed in Mexico, but could not build up the support there. It took Puerto Rico `borrowing' it, and then, slowly but surely, taking and making it its own. We have been given this NorthWest sound, that some may believe does not exist, but that many of us can recognize with relative ease.

Many have accused the NorthWest of, let's say, borrowing heartily from and being freely influenced by, the Mid-90's Bay Area sound. This is partially true, but this sound is definitely coming into and creating for itself a niche of its own. If you take a look around, we are the ones who are maintaining that funk-based structure without selling out to the pop and new-age, doot-doot, beep-beep, futuristic-sounding influences.

The people will learn to appreciate this handling-of the torch, as more and more regions struggle and strive to hop aboard the Mainstream-Underground, Omni-Regional Rap Bandwagon, and sound all like each other, first with beats (Lil Jon, Pharell), then with lyricism (Jay-Z, Lil Wayne), and finally, with topics (Gangsterism, Club Tracks, R&B Thug Songs).

I agree that some time must be waited. I do not agree that we should spend this time grooming mid-card and slighly-above-average talent. Some people differ with me in this regard, with their Lotto Ticket, "Rudy"-like Philosophies. I salute these people for putting their money where their mouths and minds are and paying for these tickets--these would-be Hip-Hop versions of almsgiving-- but when they cannot figure out and calculate the odds ahead of making such bets, I will gladly point them out. And they do not look good.

The only solution to this, is to chop some branches off of the tree. We will chop off the weak branches, and subject those on-the-bubble branches to so much pressure, that many of them fold on their own without that hand-axe ever having been neither threatened nor lifted. We will cut some off the bottom, level off the top, and do some edge-trimming with the sides. What will result is a next-generation `Kid'-like throw-back Flat-top hair-style. It will be a great hair style, and slowly but surely, the people will begin to recognize anew its powers.

The style is already there to be had, surrounded by the excesses and wastes that do not belong. What matters now is, who is going to help me wrap this blanket-like cover around `ourself', the client, so that we might then lift up these big-ass scissors and begin this transition already.

Apr 25, 2002
I got to go get ready to play some ball in the MetroDome, I will give your post a thorough read and response when I have the time.

I'm glad that we both recognize some of the similar things, I am interested to discover where it is that we differ.