i just got sum pet baby aqautic turtles anybody got sum?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
i got them yesterday in china town they are the size of a 50 cent peice.

i never seen them eat their food?

today we will take them to the pet store and ask sum questions about care and buy them a tank.

does anybody have these turtles and knows how to take care of them?

May 11, 2002
I used to have a box turtle before. He was pretty coo, I could take him out and let him crawl around. I usually fed him some food I bought at the pet store for turtles, and also gave him cut up lettuce and stuff..

May 8, 2002
Wash your hands after handling em. They carry salminala (sp?). They are illegal to sell in California until they're 6 inches large. you can get aquatic turtle food at any fish or pet store.

Apr 25, 2002
yep Mook is right, they have that same law in Colorado. I use to have hella turtles when I was little. your turtle is probally a red eared slider or a painted turtle. you can buy their food at pet stores, its little green pellets

Apr 25, 2002
your right they are red ear slider turtles.i read about that salmonila thing.don't worry i always wash my hands after handling them.

so thats the law on these things right?

these chinese people don't care they sold them to me as the size stated above (2 inches i'd guess) the look like a 50 cent peice with a head and legs.they said they get them every week.

the only food i got at the momment is turtle sticks same as pellet food but i don't see them eat.i read that hatchlings like to have feeder fish like guppies.ama buy sum i hope they eat.if not i can't just force them to eat.

i wanna watch them grow up.

May 8, 2002
Plus, at this time of year most sliders, including my own and my girlfriend's, are in semi-hibernation mode. I haven't seen mine eat in like two or three months, but come spring, he'll be back to his old hungry self.
if they're still not eating once the weather gets warmer, then i'd worry. in the meantime, they should be cool.

Apr 25, 2002
I've got shit bunches of box turtles in my back yard....I'd say around 30 of em......they come to the back door for food. They really like strawberries and other fruit like that....and worms and and crickets etc....

Apr 25, 2002
any help is good help guys thanks

good points right now i just bought a big tank,sum rocks and a water heater oh yea ground meal worms looks like powder.maybe they are in hibernation period or it's too cold.after the water heater heat things up a bit they started gravitating towards it.so i'm glad i have sumthing there for heat at least.it might be a while till i get a lamp.

i got a question,whut do they look like when they eat cause i noticed when i put a lil food in there they where in the water cause the guide says they eat in water so put the food there.so i did and i noticed they poke their head in and out of the shell i thought maybe they were eating?

Apr 25, 2002
:classic: i had an idea and put my lava lamp upside down on the screen of the aqarium.i think i'll leave it on for a while just so they warm up.hope that light is'nt bad for them it's 40 watt.

Apr 25, 2002
try throwin a dead goldfish in there, freshly killed I mean. they might want food like they been eatin in the wild.

this post is bringin back memories... I use to have about 5 snapping turtles about that size that we caught one spring...spooky lookin lil fuckers

Apr 25, 2002
snaping turtles?

those things are ugly i would'nt wanna touch those.

i guess i won't wait that long till i get a lamp and a water filter.today when my bro gets off work we will buy one.

they are much happier with the water heater and temporary light.

i found a site all about red eared sliders with guides on how to take care of them.it said for the first 4 to 6 weeks you should change the water once a week.i think i'll do that.any suggestions on cleaning the tank and water filters?

it's funny i bought these turtles for 6 bucks and it's turning out to take alot of money and responsiblity to take care of them.

Apr 25, 2002
by the way i finally seen them eat.this lady at petco gave us live meal worms.i opened the package and only saw sawdust.this afternoon i opened it again and saw live meal worms,so i put them in the tank and they got tore up.those turtles chomped em down.so now i know i bought this equipment for a good reason and that they will live.it's funny they eat then get tired and sleep.