Hustlematic "Money, Sex and Politics" CD Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Here's my review of the new Hustlematic album “Money, Sex & Politics”…feel free to add in your two cents as well...

At first listen, he opens with…
“Big Business”
Staking his claim for his spot in the game not only next top his fellow Sactown peers but the greats and heavyweights as well. The Baby Bubb produced track is comprised of a tactfully laced piano sample coupled with echoing synthesizer loops and a walking bass line resembling an early 90’s Da Lench Mob anthem.

“In the Fast Lane”
This track is definitely very radio friendly and infectious, portraying the lifestyle of a superstar in every lyric. The beat is up tempo and Hustle’s delivery is also on point.

“Tennis Shoe Pimpin”
I’m ballin’ on a CA teacher’s budget and therefore have no Tennis Shoe Game and therefore I couldn’t really get into this track. I have too many kids to feed to worry about the newest shoe. However, it’s more about pimpin’ on foot than anything else. It’s a solid hood track.

“Mack Road”
This track details the everyday, long hard road that many of us have traveled on more than one occasion. “It was either grab mics or I could make the news for makin moves in the bing shaking fools…” This track details how Hustlematic paid his dues and earned his way into the game. It’s one of my favorites from the album.

“Concrete Rose”
The title is a play on words I’m almost sure is homage to the late great Lesane Crooks. The song is of the tragic trials and tribulations of a young lady in the ghetto. The song begins with a strong, melodic guitar riff and a laid back delivery perfect for a progressive storyline. Rose herself is the concrete foundation for her seeds. This tragedy is delicately orchestrated and by far my favorite track on the entire album. If you should listen to any one track off of the album may this be your first…

“Fast Money”
Fast money is ironically very laid back and smooth. It summarizes tracks one, two and three all in one but is not up to par with the first two. I think had the bass come in louder than the treble and the synth loop it would have hit more for me.

“No Strings Attached”
This is a great baby making track. It reminded me of some of that old school Isley Brothers in between the sheets music. It speaks volumes about exactly what the title represents. Strictly good loving without the terms of endearment.

“Turn You On”
This up tempo track is great for a club scene complete with the female chorus line reminiscent of some milkshake era Kelis. Although a catchy club song, Hustlematic displays his array of delivery by speeding up the flow for four minutes of funk on this one.

“World of Greed”
Beginning with a dedication to 2 Pac, Hustlematic begins his political tirade bashing the previous President in the Whit House. He then moves on to address issues such as propaganda on the news, genocide, war crimes, record companies, ignorance and much more. I’d like to see this track remixed with some Dead Prez features.

“Go Getter For Life”
This track reminded me of some early CJ Mac. Declaring his independence from major labels and his eternal hustle, he stakes his claim in Sacramento reaching out to the rest of the hip hop community to support their own. It’s been proven, if you want to make it in the game right now, independent is the way to go. Ten dollars for a CD is better than ten cents. Real talk…

“No Struggle, No Progress”
We all have to overcome our situations at some points in our lives. This track fully encompasses this idea and breaks down Hustlematic and many other people’s struggles from poverty to stardom and all of the decisions and moves he had to make in order to arrive where he is today. In order to understand the actions of the people around you, you need to know where they came from and what they are going through. Otherwise you are blinded by your own ignorance believing your own misconceptions.

All in all I recommend this album to anyone who enjoys that Westcoast G-funk sound mixed with conscious reality lyrics. I’d also recommend it for my club heads for the few club tracks on here as well. It’s not often that I find an independent artist nowadays that I would support like I would Hustlematic. He’s out in the streets, on the forums, on myspace, on twitter, on the blogs and deep in his hustle…

Oct 11, 2002
that's a good look. I was bumpin his mixtapes and was gonna pik this up next time I'm in sac (when I bump into Hustlematic).
Next time you in Sac let me know so I can make sure we bump into each other lol.

Jeronimo thanks for your honesty in the review. Some cats get offended if somebody dont like ALL they shit. I take it as real talk and improve my shit for next time.

Oct 11, 2002
awww man i need to get this, Floss's and Dubb's..

Hustlematic.. I got put on to your music when you was pushin' Mr. Hustlematic from IUMA.com.. Years ago.. Still got your first two cds. Love the 1st one.
Thanks for the support. You know I appreciate my supporters more than most rappers. The album is smackin and the next one is comin real soon. In the lab now cookin some more dope for yall. I AINT GOIN NOWHERE!!!