How to achieve this bass effect...or patch settings???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 1, 2003
Two songs I like a lot have something in common.

Listen to how the bass guitar kicks in with something like a slide...kind of like it's winding down.

Tupac Skandalouz

the same type of lick can be heard in Mac Dre's "Life's a Bitch"
This one sounds like a different bass patch ...but the effect is there

anyone know the patch settings for this....or is this from a specific sound module. I have an idea or two for this but cant seem to get it on the fantom. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2006
like chill said either pitch bend or they used a real instrument and knew how to do that.. in that case whammy bar? (thinkin off some guitar hero shit)

Apr 25, 2002
You can do that by setting a glide time too. That's when you hold one key down and press a second one, the pitch glides from the first to the second. Then you can run your hand down the keyboard to make a big note slide. That technique was used in a lot of old funk.

May 1, 2003
You can do that by setting a glide time too. That's when you hold one key down and press a second one, the pitch glides from the first to the second. Then you can run your hand down the keyboard to make a big note slide. That technique was used in a lot of old funk.

Thanks! I didn't think of that. I remember the rs7000 I had, has that setting. I would play an 8 bar bass line and apply glide to the entire loop. That made it sound a lot cleaner , more jazzy/smooth. Never thought of applying it to something so short. I should be able to do it in real time now. @ Chill, I tried the pitch wheel and I couldn't get it to sound like that. Probably gotta tweak the settings.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
True. If your using any plug-ins that have samples of real bass guitar playing, Trilogy being on them, they actually have presets with the glide time incorporated that have this slide effect on the bass instrument, it's not as good as the real thing but I've made it work.

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, like Sick Wid It said, adjust the Glide settings. Pitch bend as well.

But I think if your looking for more of that single note dying effect without gliding or bending to the next pitch, then you got to fuck around with the ADSR envelopes. Something with a fast release I believe so the sound doesn't sustain.

BTW, are you after synth bass or electric bass sound?

Just wondering because that first Tupac song is electric bass after that first synth bass sound. Is it that synth bass sound your after in the very beginning of the Tupac song, starting with the first 2seconds of the song? Or you just talking about the slide of the electric bass for the main bassline of the song?

The Mac Dre song is just completely synth bass. Also if you notice there's a deeper filtered hi-pass type lead sound that dies away also. It pans as it dies away, sick ass sound.

Apr 26, 2006
Anyways, WHY DON'T RAPPERS THESE DAYS FUCK WITH FUNKY BEATS LIKE THIS ANYMORE?!?!?!?!? I don't fucking get it! That funk based sound, sounded waaaaay better. That's some REAL shit right there, you can feel it more than anything these days. That's why the WestCoast feel off the map in the rap game. That's the exact type of sound that made the WC what it was. Good beats will bring upon better lyrics & delivery, IMO. Tupac's delivery and vibe in that song would not work on a Hyphy beat, crunk beat, snap or whatever the fuck there's today. Not to metion, the singing in the chorus, pure SOUL. There's just no soul in that shit today. Today's beats limit rappers IMO. Fuck it really pisses me off.

Sorry to vent, I have to get this off my chest about once a month. haha I want everyone to know that at one time, Rap WAS BETTER. It hit it's peak and we just let the entire genre die and transform into some retro techno pop sounding shit. Don't be satisfied with todays bullcrap, because it COULD be better and at one time it was.

Props: dalycity650