how good is Mark Teixeira gonna be?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
pub42.ezboard.com
he is on a bad ass career pace 62 hrs in his 2 yr career easily on pace to have 100 hr in his 3rd yr very similar pace as Albert Pujols is on. i wonder why he aint talked about more Teixeira is puttin up bad ass number and isnt no where near his prime.

May 8, 2002
Alkahol_Gone said:
he is on a bad ass career pace 62 hrs in his 2 yr career easily on pace to have 100 hr in his 3rd yr very similar pace as Albert Pujols is on. i wonder why he aint talked about more Teixeira is puttin up bad ass number and isnt no where near his prime.
he is a bad ass, if i am not mistaken i think he is either 23 or 24. he hits the piss out of the ball.

wasnt he the 2nd overall pick behind Mark Prior??

his last year at GT most scout were talking about him as the best hitter in NCAA in the past decade and were predicting he would be an MLB All Star.

i think he is a possible 40 homer a year guy with .280+ potential. of course he is hitting in a hitter dream park, but he is also very yoiung and with age will get stronger and better. very good chance to hit 500 homers, barring injuties.

i know he has been one of my best hitter on my Siccness League fantasy team.

anyway here is a scouting report from the top source in baseball which specializes in Minor league prospects, college prospects and high school prospects
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/rangerstop03.html
Rangers Top 10 Prospects
By John Manuel
December 30, 2002

1. Mark Teixeira, 3b

Age: 22. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 225. Drafted: Georgia Tech, 2001 (1st round). Signed by: Zachary Hoyrst.

Background: Under the prospect microscope since high school, Teixeira has always thrived–when healthy. He was expected to be a first-round pick out of high school in 1998, but fell to the Red Sox in the ninth thanks to perceived bonus demands. Teixeira had a decorated career at Georgia Tech, where he was Baseball America’s College Player of the Year in 2000. His junior season was interrupted by a broken right ankle. The injury, and again perceived bonus demands, contributed to his being available to the Rangers with the No. 5 overall pick in 2001. He signed a major league contract that guaranteed him $9.5 million, including a club-record $4.5 million bonus. A ruptured tendon in his left elbow and forearm sidelined him in spring training, but Teixeira bounced back to have a big season in his pro debut.

Strengths: Teixeira’s tools, approach and strength make him the best hitting prospect in the minor leagues. He has well-above-average power–40 homers a year is no stretch–and hitting ability from both sides of the plate, in part because he’s in tune with his abilities and has sound fundamentals. Powerfully built, he has a short swing with leverage from both sides, excellent pitch recognition and an advanced two-strike approach. Athletic and instinctive, Teixeira also works hard on the deficiencies in his game.

Weaknesses: Teixeira takes pride in not being a baseclogger, but speed is his weakest tool. Offensively, he can be stubborn and hasn’t taken to the organization’s take-a-strike philosophy, but his mindset stems from his success. Teixeira’s range at third is average and he had throwing problems in 2002, which the Rangers attribute to injuries and rust. He worked on getting his body back into his throws, and by the Arizona Fall League his arm was again a plus instead of a problem.

The Future: Teixeira’s AFL stint was cut short by a muscle strain in his torso, but BA still rated him the league’s top prospect. His major league ETA depends solely on his health. He figures to start 2003 in Triple-A but should get big league at-bats soon at third base, first base (which he hasn’t played since the Cape Cod League in 1999) or DH.

Copyright 2002 Baseball America. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Prior was the 2nd pick that year. Joe Mauer was #1. And Teixeira was #5.

He'll probably end up being like a Palmeiro or a good Tino Martinez and hit 40 a year for the next 6 years

May 8, 2002
B-Buzz said:
Prior was the 2nd pick that year. Joe Mauer was #1. And Teixeira was #5.

He'll probably end up being like a Palmeiro or a good Tino Martinez and hit 40 a year for the next 6 years
thats right Maure was number 1 the twins went with him because prior and texiera wanted too much and figured that Maure would be cheap, might be just as good, and is "the local boy". from what i have been hearing about maure is he is a great hitter and has AWESOME DEFENSE. he just wont hit many homers. ill get a scouting report on him here later

May 8, 2002
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/twins.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Prospect: Joe Mauer, c

Drafted: HS–St. Paul, Minn., 2001 (1st round)
Signed by: Marc Wilson/Joel Lepel

Background: Growing up in St. Paul as a Twins fan just 10 minutes from the Metrodome, Mauer seemed destined to play for the hometown team. He was regarded as one of the top quarterback recruits in the nation and nearly followed fellow Cretin-Derham Hall grad Chris Weinke to Florida State. Twins scouts saw Mauer play more than 100 times as an amateur and ultimately chose him over Mark Prior with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. While Prior has become a star in the majors, Mauer isn’t too far behind. He won BA’s Minor League Player of the Year award in 2003 and is set to make his big league debut at 20 when he opens this season as Minnesota’s regular catcher. Mauer was a member of the U.S. team that fell short in the Olympic qualifying tournament, though he was inexplicably left out of the lineup in the deciding game against Mexico. His older brothers Jake, a second baseman, and Bill, a righthander, also are Minnesota farmhands.

Strengths: Mauer combines a picture-perfect lefthanded stroke with impeccable strike-zone judgment to generate high batting averages and on-base percentages. His natural approach and swing path lend themselves more to a batting title than a home run crown. He’s geared to hit line drives back up the middle and toward left-center. Defensively, Mauer had no equals at the minor league level. Some scouts say he’ll be the best receiver in the American League when he debuts in April. Despite his size—only Sandy Alomar Jr. is bigger among major league catchers—Mauer expertly blocks pitches with his soft hands and moves quickly on balls in front of the plate. Outstanding arm strength gives him a third present 80 tool on the 20-80 scouting scale to go with his bat and glove. Mauer has a quick release and puts his throws on the bag with uncanny accuracy; he nabbed 52 percent of basestealers last year. He’s a quiet leader who exudes confidence but maintains a low profile. The Twins wanted Mauer to become more comfortable at running a pitching staff, and he did just that. He runs better and has more athleticism than most catchers.

Weaknesses: Though Mauer has hit just nine career homers, Twins scouts insist he has the power to one day hit 35-40 in a season if he wants to. He showed signs of adding more loft to his swing in Double-A.

The Future: Most scouts give Mauer the nod over Devil Rays shortstop B.J. Upton as the best prospect in the game. The Twins cleared Mauer’s path to the majors by dealing all-star A.J. Pierzynski to the Giants in November. Mauer, who will bat seventh or eighth to start 2004, is an early favorite for American League rookie of the year. There’s no reason he shouldn’t develop into a perennial all-star.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I had him on my fantasy team till he kept getting hurt, but I watched him play at Comiskey and he can fuckin rake. He hit like 7 balls in a row that one hopped the fence in BP

May 8, 2002
I STARTED OUT THE SICCNESS LEAGUE WITH HIM ON MY ROSTER. NOBODY KNEW OF HIM OR DRAFTED HIM. SO I GOT HIM AS A FREE AGENT. BUT HE GOT INJURED TO MUCH AND I ENDED UP SETTLING FOR MARTY BARRETT.

May 8, 2002
Alkahol_Gone said:
Im in the championship game Unholy Nightstalkaz (got Johan Santana as a free agent in June how he was overlooked I have no idea lol)

i am Turlock National. i drafted Santana vut he sucked in the first half and had a losing record so i dumped him. .

anyway it looks like you just murdered me in the championship game.