How Far Will Special Editions Go?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
Stole this off another forum...thought it would be a good discussion here on Sicc too...

I'm sure everyone has noticed in recent years the growing amount of "Special Editions" that come out for games.
Years ago, they would be minor such as up to ten dollars more than the normal game, and would come with a little added in-game bonus, or a little content code to put in upon purchase.

However, now we're seeing Collector's Editions come out that are more than double the price of the original game, and come with ridiculous items such as a sculpture of somebody's head, an RC car, statues, a deck of cards, a bat wing, and the like.

Now I ask, how far will this fad go? By that I mean, will we be seeing a collector's edition for almost every new release soon? Will the prices continue to raise? Will they continue to add stuff that has nothing to do with gaming?

For collectors, I'm sure you, and your wallet have something to say about this.

Yes, I'm aware that "You don't have to buy it, you know..", but that's not the point of this thread.

Possible Topics:

1) How does the raising cost and numbers of "Collector's Editions" make you, the gamer, feel?

2) Do you buy these editions? If so, what influences your purchase?

3) Added on to Question #2, does it matter what a collector's edition might contain, to influence your purchase?

4) Do you feel that publishers are getting greedier and greedier each year, when it comes to releasing video games?

Opinions are welcome.

Feb 6, 2009
I dont got a problem with special editions being released. The thing i hate is exclusive preorder bonuses, they should just give the same shit to every store.

Jun 24, 2005
I dont got a problem with special editions being released. The thing i hate is exclusive preorder bonuses, they should just give the same shit to every store.
This.

I hate shopping at GameStop because I feel they're generally a god damn rip off, but they ALWAYS have the exclusive pre-order bonus. I'll pre-order, pick it up, go pick it up somewhere else, and return one back to GameStop, keeping the pre-order bonus.

Speaking of exclusive stuff, I'm sick of console exclusive content. The GTAIV DLC was awesome, and I feel should have been available to PS3 owners at the same time. If they can't do that, at least let us know it'll be timed exclusivity.

Dead Space II for PS3 is getting exclusive content. I want the game, and all the content, but I want it for 360. It's stupid to not get all the content for both systems.

As for Collector Editions, I like them. I've bought several and will continue to buy them. I'm a sucker for the steelbook cases, and if it's a game I know I'll like, I get the steelbook version. If it's a game that's going to be a classic (Halo: Reach) I get the Legendary Edition and the Halo: Reach themed console as well. It really all depends on how much I like the game.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
lol if I buy a CE it usually depends on what it comes with or if it has an alternate cover (then I go for the version with the cover I like best)

Honestly I find most CE's to just be a waste of space. I rarely do anything with the stuff they come with. I think the best CE content is usually like a soundtrack cd or something I'll actually use.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Well, this goes even further than just the special edition. My friend designs bags, clothes, and other stuff, for games like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, etc., which will be in the games and then also sold in stores. So you can buy for example the shoes your fav computer game hero wears.

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
To answer the questions: 1 and 4 are similar to me. I feel that these Collector's Editions are made to put more money into publisher's pockets. I refuse to buy the CE's so I don't really care what goes into them but I feel that they're just a gimmick - kind of like making movies 3D and having to pay more for them. I know some people like the cool little items that come in the CE's but overall it's just more money that you're gonna pay that won't affect the quality of the game. If you want a steel case and an RC car then go ahead and buy it. If people weren't buying them they obviously wouldn't sell them. But I prefer getting the regular case with the same game for the lower price.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
I get mine to sell the stuff (if I dont want it) or sell the codes which basically pay for the game itself and still puts money in your pocket. Got Mass Effect 2 sealed, probably unload that round Xmas time cause I know they're not going to do reprints on it.

Codes can be iffy, you have to get rid of 'em immediatly. The Transformers codes were going for round $100 but a month later the gamemaker added it as DLC to the game pwning all the ebay buyers who wasted their money lol

I'll probably get Fallout, DeadRising, Halo, LBP, AC, and COD and sell 'em as one package since they're all released close together and can easily pocket

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
1) How does the raising cost and numbers of "Collector's Editions" make you, the gamer, feel?
I'm not bothered by it. I buy games for the campaign not the trinkets that come with it.

When I buy them I do so to sell at a higher price.

3) Added on to Question #2, does it matter what a collector's edition might contain, to influence your purchase?
I read the gamer forums and purchase the version a lot of people say they want to get. So when I purchase them, I'm not purchasing for me to play, but purchasing so I can sell it to someone else at a higher price.

4) Do you feel that publishers are getting greedier and greedier each year, when it comes to releasing video games?
The publishers, the stores...mainly the stores.

Dec 4, 2004

I don't care. I can see how some people would want them...if you're super into a franchise and the characters and everything, it's probably cool to have. If these things were around when I was younger I probably woulda wanted some of these, shit, imagine a Twisted Metal special edition that came inside a Sweet Tooth truck? I woulda loved that shit. Just an example....

The only one I bought was COD MW2 Hardened edition cause it came with the download of Call of Duty and I thought the steel book & box art was sick. I also got the Tekken 4 Special edition cause it came with the fight stick and I only paid $65

If it comes with bonus downloads, maps, costumes, I might consider it...but i gotta be real into a franchise to care about bonus stuff like art books or any type of 'toy' or object

No, its a good business. They spend millions to develop these games, if gamers want extra shit, let them buy it...no one's getting ripped off as long as you have options.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
so wait, buying the shit say for fallout new vegas, sell the codes online like ebay?
Yes. Look at what happened with Transformers War for Cybertron. Fools was paying a c-note for the exclusive characters. The codes for Red Dead are going for $30+ (I have the war horse code for cheap if someone wants it) the Terminus Armor codes for mass effect are like $15 (I have oen of these left) and the Gears codes for golden guns were hot for a time being as well.