Hip Hop needs new rating system??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 14, 2006
Hip Hop cds need a better rating system like the 5 mics used to be before The Source lost all its credibility with their WE HATE EMINEM CAMPAIGN(canceled my subscription cuz of that shit.) XXL is alright but we need something better.
The 5 mics the source had was good for a while. Only classic actually got to 5 mics like illmatic or aquemini but then Benzino had to go fuck it all up. What ya'll think? Hip Hop need a new rating sytem?

May 30, 2006
Cante-up said:
its not about the system but the people behind the system.
Agree. I hate it when someone says something like " I heard that new Face album. I'd give it 4 mics". I be like "get off of The Source nuts". I actually have my own rating system but can't share it with anyone cuz I plan on working on a mag sometime in the future & am going to use it 4 that. but I do agree with the thread starter to some extent.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
what exactly will be different with a new rating system????

as long as albums which should never be given more than 1.5/5 keep getting 3, 4 or 5 stars, nothing will change...

one of the biggest problems in hip-hop is people saying "Did ya hear the last Ludacris/Young Jeezy/Game/etc album, shit is fire, I give it 4.5 out of 5/9 out of 10" when the album they're talking about has no more than 3 listenable tracks.....

unless people stop lowering their standards, no change is going to come

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
A magazine will never give out low ratings, cause they depend on selling adds. So they give albums high ratings in return of Rappers/Labels buying ads!

Shit can never work...

Jan 1, 2006
I use iTunes 5 star ratings...

1. the number of tracks times 5 star total
2. Add your ratings all together divided by the part (1.) and you have your rating

Surprisingly all my albums score really low because interludes, skits and wack ass songs kill it

Word of mouth is the best source, don't rely on magazines, some are corrupt. *hint - benzino

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
The Visualizer said:
Word of mouth is the best source, don't rely on magazines, some are corrupt. *hint - benzino

Basically. i dont read reviews or listen to critics. Everyone has their own ratings system and what they like to listen to. As evidenced by Biggie being damn near God to some people and being average to others. Magazines will never be neutral, so why bother

Apr 20, 2005
all these shit magazines gotta do is, categorize the 2 different types of hip hop. There's conscious/bagpack hip hop. Then there's gangsta/d-boy hip hop. U cant give Eminem a 4 and then on the next review give Baby #1 stunner a 4 as well. Thats ridiculous. To me, if Eminem gets a 4. Baby should get half a mic

Hip Hop Rap

Talib 5 mics Snoop 4 mics
Mos Def 4 mics Lil Wayne 3.5 mics
Ras Kass 4.5 mics Jeezy 4 mics
Murs 4.5 50 Cent 3.5 mics

Sep 17, 2006
8FIVE8 said:
all these shit magazines gotta do is, categorize the 2 different types of hip hop. There's conscious/bagpack hip hop. Then there's gangsta/d-boy hip hop. U cant give Eminem a 4 and then on the next review give Baby #1 stunner a 4 as well. Thats ridiculous. To me, if Eminem gets a 4. Baby should get half a mic

Hip Hop Rap

Talib 5 mics Snoop 4 mics
Mos Def 4 mics Lil Wayne 3.5 mics
Ras Kass 4.5 mics Jeezy 4 mics
Murs 4.5 50 Cent 3.5 mics
It's gotta be the total package, the "rappers" you listed are just as "hip hop" as Talib, Mos Def , etc. None of the 4 "hip hoppers" has ever put out anything with really good beats and lyrics. Snoop, Wayne & 50 have good lyrics AND good beats.

Dec 17, 2005
coondogg26 said:
y dont you just rate them for yourself instead of going by wut other people think?
Exactly.... It's not just magazine's being corrupt or whatever, no one's gonna look for the same things when listening to music as you or have the same standards, so they're gonna come up w/ different ratings. Just d/l the CD for yourself and judge.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
the problem is pretty much every hip hop rag is biased against some artists and favor others. In the lowbudget ones a album can get a great review if the label paid a grip on ad space. mags like entertainment weekly dont know jack about rap or hiphop so their reviews dont mean shit. i remember them bashing the blueprint.

Apr 20, 2005
Imonone said:
It's gotta be the total package, the "rappers" you listed are just as "hip hop" as Talib, Mos Def , etc. None of the 4 "hip hoppers" has ever put out anything with really good beats and lyrics. Snoop, Wayne & 50 have good lyrics AND good beats.
Everybody got different taste though. I'm just sayin u cant put Talib and Baby and Lil Flip, etc. in the same rating system. U know what i'm saying? Seperate that shit. Them mutherfuckers talk hip hop all day they should know the difference between d-boy/gangsta rap and conscious/bagpack rap. I personally like all rap.

U aint never heard Reflection Eternal(Talib)? Black on both Sides(Mos Def)? Blackstar?? Rasassination/Soul on Ice? Both Murs and 9th Wonder albums?