Heresy -- Fantom/xp-60?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2002
NEW SOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the S type has the MPC style pads.. Though they are not even close tot he quality pads of the MPC there better than keys for Drums....

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Hey fag boy? Whats the deal?

You have a couple of recycled sounds in the fantom but the two machines are different. The fantom can hold 1jv series card and 2 srx cards. The fantom S can hold 4 srx cards but no jv cards. Its EASIER to sequence and arrange on the fantom and fantom S. It's also easier to edit and tweak patches. The xp 60 wasnt hard to edit/tweak but it was hard to sequence on. You had a lot of menus/screens on the 60 but over all it wasnt too difficult. The fantom S has a different storage option. Smart media is used and it has no 3.5 floppy like 60/80 and fantom. USB is also used and you can transfer songs, edit patches/samples etc etc etc via usb. If you're a sample head you can sample with fantom s. As far as sound quality....well thats kind of a matter of opinion bro. Some sounds are TIGHT. Some sounds are USELESS.

The strings on the 60 were top notch, the drums were ok (could have had more user drum kits for), some of them were recycled from other roland products (the boss/roland drum machines slap harder than the 60's drums imho.) the bass/synth sounds are cool, the pads were cool but the horn sections SUCKED.

The fantom S doesnt sound SMALL or THIN. The xp-60/80 doesnt sound as LOUD as the fantom, fantom s or motif (the motif is too loud for my tastes so i keep the volume low) but it sounds FULL.

I've been playing with the fantom s at another lab recently and I can say its on par with the motif es. BOTH shit on the triton (imho) anyday. The learning curve isn't as deep as the motif and thats what I like about it. When I had my eyes set on a new board (right after i copped the motif es) i looked into the fantom and fantom s and decided to get rid of my 60. Well I changed my mind. I'm gonna KEEP my 60 and im going to snatch the fantom s some time SOON :)

HGK

ps the FX ENGINE/FILTERS and WAVE FORMS are better on the fantom s.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
The Fantom S keeps droping in price too. I've been looking at it for awhile now. Once the Motif ES came out they had to drop there price to compete. There as low as $1500 now not a bad price at all for what you get.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I cant get the kurz rack in my area because no dealer will stock it. I know a studio that has one so i might have to get in that lab to demo the sounds. if the rack is the SAME as the k2600 its all good. At this point in time i dont NEED more sounds or a workstation but i want one. I think the triton rack would be my last sound module on the last list. Its not like I have tons of options (in reference to brand) when it comes to sound modules. its either roland (and edirol), korg,emu (samplers and modules), akai samplers, kurzweil and yamaha. I have A LOT of roland sounds, 2 emu modules (i even have a pure phatt card i dont need) and yamaha sounds. Not to mention all the sample cd's I have but dont use cause i don't sample as much as i can/should.

as of now fantom s due to its availability and the fact i can get it LESS (no tax, no shipping charges) if i order from sweetwater. btw the 5080 is an option also. triton rack is a no no for me at this time (unless come across one at a smokers price)

hgk

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
I was doing some homework on the fantom-s and came up with some goodies.

Here is a web site dedicated to the Fantom-S
http://fantom-s.info/

Also the Fantom-S has a different rom set from the Xv-5080 ( and also the Xv3080 , the Xv5050 has the same rom just with different preset's than the other two ) and alot of people wanted those sounds ( patches ) on the Fantom-S. So roland went threw and did there best to recreate those sounds with the Fantom-S rom set. You can download them below.
http://fantom-s.info/?p=roland
So that makes me a whole lot more interested.

@Heresy, I saw you did a review on the Motif ES is it possible you could do one on the Fantom-S ?? I've only been able to mess with at guitar center, so my time with it is limited. I'm curentley working with a Korg Trinity, and Emu Proteus 2000 ( which I need to add some other rom chip's to because I'm not impressed at all with the P2K by itself:dead: ) so I'm looking to upgrade soon.