Great Warriors Article

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

nobug

Sicc OG
Mar 8, 2006
Of the eight teams still playing, the Warriors are the most frightening. Not because of the abundant ink blotches that crawl up the arms and neck of forward Matt Barnes like a fungus, or because their gold-T-shirted fans in full throat are as intimidating as an Oakland Raiders crowd from the early 1980s, or because thespian wild man Woody Harrelson, a close friend of coach Don Nelson, has become one of Golden State's WE BELIEVE faithful.

No, it's because in the postseason, when preparation is everything, the Warriors seem to have come from another planet, run-and-gun aliens for whom there is no known defense. Certainly their frenetic approach has gotten the attention of the two favorites for the title.

"They play kind of crazy," says Spurs guard Manu Ginóbili, "but it is a good crazy."

"The only word I can think of to describe them is scary," says Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

After an unprecedented dismantling of the Mavericks -- it was the first time a No. 8 seed had toppled a No. 1 in a best-of-seven series -- Golden State was not as terrifying on Monday in Utah, losing to the Jazz 116-112 in Game 1 of their Western Conference semifinal. But shrugging off a single defeat should be no big deal for a team that went 42-40 during the season.

To the extent that Golden State looks familiar at all, it's as a version of high-scoring, pace-pushing Phoenix -- one in need of Ritalin. But the degree to which the Warriors relied on one-on-one play in the first round cannot be overemphasized; while Phoenix averaged 27.0 assists in scoring 108.4 points per game, Golden State had 9.7 fewer dimes in scoring 105.2. So while they run their share of pick-and-rolls, the Warriors are just as likely to clear out and tell whoever has the ball, Dude, the stage is yours.

The sight of Nelson waving his arms to speed up the tempo -- in effect, the father figure instructing his kids to stay out even later -- has been seen before, tempting one to call this Nellieball 2007. But even when Nelson was trying to play at warp speed in Dallas, he never committed to an all-offense-all-the-time framework, insisting on using 7'6" Shawn Bradley. Now he has made that commitment. Between Baron Davis (6'3" point guard) and Andris Biedrins (6'11" de facto center), Nelson plays a bunch of swingman gazelles (6'8" Stephen Jackson, 6'6" Jason Richardson, 6'6" Mickaël Pietrus, 6'9" Al Harrington and the 6'7" Barnes) who can each go for 25 points.

"Against most teams, even good ones, you can hide your weakest defender on somebody," says San Antonio forward Bruce Bowen, an All-Defensive team fixture, "but that doesn't work with Golden State. They have all these same-sized guys who are good with the ball, athletically talented and who attack the basket."

Of course, if the Warriors were only about one-on-one madness, their prospects of advancing in the playoffs, and certainly their capacity to frighten the opposition, would be diminished. They do have offensive principles. Their spacing, for example, is almost as good as the Suns'. If Davis drives to the basket and the defense closes on him, he usually finds three-point shooters in preapproved spots. And when Golden State does run the pick-and-roll, with Davis handling and Biedrins barreling to the hoop, it conjures up images of Steve Nash to Amaré Stoudemire. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, in fact, calls it "Suns-like."

D'Antoni, like many who expressed only mild surprise at Golden State's domination of the Mavs, recognizes the similarity, appreciates it and fears it. "As a fan, I love watching Golden State play," says D'Antoni. "Whether I want to play against them is another matter."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/05/08/warriors0514/index.html

Apr 23, 2007
Good Article.... I read one the other day about how everyone jumped on the nad wagon sooo quick... Including SNOOP.... im going to try to find in real quick

Here it is:

There's one in every office right now.

The guy who walked in to work on Friday morning, totally stoked about the Golden State Warriors' playoff victory over the Dallas Mavericks, but three weeks ago couldn't name two people on the team. The guy who thinks Jim Barnett was the president on "The West Wing." The guy cruising around town in a Troy Murphy replica jersey, who's still not sure why it was on the Ross Dress for Less clearance rack.

As the Warriors play their first Western Conference semifinal game against the Utah Jazz tonight, there are tens of thousands of those yellow "We Believe!" T-shirts in circulation. But don't be fooled -- very few of the people wearing them actually believed. Easily 85 percent of those currently calling themselves Warriors fans recently joined the bandwagon.

Jumping on the bandwagon is one of our most hallowed national traditions, right there with football on Thanksgiving, re-gifting Christmas presents and buying a car with way more horsepower than you need. Study history closely, and you'll find bandwagon jumpers dating from before this country's independence. While historical portraits show that maybe 15 people crossed the Delaware in George Washington's boat, by the year 1800, at least 50,000 people were claiming to have one of the paddles.

"Yeah, dude, Washington gave it to me when I was a minuteman. I keep it in my garage, right next to the metronome that Beethoven threw into the crowd when the Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major tour passed through Williamsburg."

Over the years, bandwagon jumping has become an equally huge phenomenon in entertainment, sports and politics. If you listen to the crowd, nobody in history has ever attended a Kenny Loggins concert -- and 6 million people were packed in the Winterland Ballroom to hear Janis Joplin sing "Piece of My Heart" in 1968. Nobody voted for Nixon, and everyone campaigned for JFK.

While last week's incredible first-round Warriors series featured fan excitement at its best, also on display was bandwagoning at its most egregious. I've been to dozens of Warriors games during the team's 12-year losing streak, and the most famous person I've ever seen in the crowd was that guy who played Paul in those old Diamond Center commercials. (And even he might have been a look-alike.)

Cheering the Warriors on as they clinched the first-round series victory on Friday were celebrity bandwagon jumpers including Owen Wilson and Kate Hudson, Woody Harrelson, and Snoop Dogg, whose ensemble included a blue Baron Davis jersey and a "We Believe" T-shirt clutched in his hand. That's the same Snoop Dogg who was born and raised in Long Beach, spends half his time with a yellow Los Angeles Lakers foam finger on his hand and has name-dropped that team in at least a dozen tracks -- including one ("I get rich on the fakers who hate/ Bakin' my cake/ And catch the Lakers at 8") that could easily be a dis directed at bandwagon fans.

I learned about bandwagoning as a youth, during the lean seasons when the 49ers had back-to-back 2-14 records and all of my little elementary school friends were Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steeler fans. If I had to choose in 1979 between admitting I liked the 49ers and accidentally wetting my pants onstage while singing "Frosty the Snowman" at the school assembly, it would be a close call -- depending mostly on whether I was wearing light-colored khakis or a darker pair of Toughskins. By the Super Bowl years of the 1980s, these same classmates had turned into "lifelong" 49ers fans, and I suspect they've since moved on to rooting for the Patriots.

My anger is tempered only by my own hypocrisy, the bedrock character trait of any bandwagon jumper. While I suffered through the Mike Dunleavy Jr. years, the Mookie Blaylock years and the Todd Fuller debacle (a great name for a band, by the way) without giving up on my Warriors, I'm definitely a situational Giants fan and the worst kind of bandwagon Sharks fan. I only start following hockey once the team reaches the Western Conference finals. From there, it's a crash course in the San Jose team's style of play, record and roster. (Anybody know if Igor Larionov is still with the team?)

Bandwagoning is really just a low-level form of lying. If Enron-level stock fraud is a felony in the world of fibbing, then bandwagon jumping is the equivalent of an illegal left-hand turn. It's considered bad form by most, but still not the type of thing that's going to land any of us in hell.

At least I hope not. I once claimed during the late 1980s Dana Carvey-era "Saturday Night Live" resurgence that my great aunt was the piano player for the "SNL" band and vaguely recall telling a girl in my college dorm that I had marched with Cesar Chavez. I didn't score, but these experiences did help me become a master bandwagon jumper, with the credentials to teach new Warriors fans a crash course in Bandwagon 101.

1. When you lie, pick events with big crowds: It's a lot easier to convince people you were part of the Million Man March or were at Candlestick Park to see Dwight Clark make "The Catch" (I've been claiming that one for decades) than to try passing yourself off as the catcher on Barack Obama's seventh-grade Little League baseball team, where there are too many potential witnesses and follow-up questions you won't be able to answer.

2. When challenged, act really defensive: You can even turn it around and claim that your accuser is the actual bandwagon jumper. Project your own faults onto them. "What do you mean I'm not a real fan? You're the one who just started listening to them because they were on the 'Garden State' soundtrack. Once, when you drove by, I think I heard Bryan Adams on your car stereo. I've been with the Shins since the start, dude!"

3. Have a few details ready: With 49ers fandom, for example, always know a few obscure offensive linemen from the 1980s and a fake seat number. When in doubt, just use the locker combination from high school. "What are you talking about? I've had 49ers season tickets for 57 years! Section 32, Row 8, Seat 23. I used to sit right next to Fred Quillen's family. I've been with the 49ers since the start, dude!"

4. When dropping names, always use at least four degrees of separation: That way, no one can trace your lie. Don't get so specific that somebody can bust you with a Google search. "Dude, I was at the Boston Tea Party and it was AWESOME! My brother-in-law's sister knows this chick who used to go out with Samuel Adams -- yeah, the beer guy -- and he got us VIP passes. I've been against taxation without representation from the start, dude!"

The Boston Tea Party was probably the height of bandwagon jumping in the United States, with the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" U.S hockey team's run coming in a close second.

But don't count out our gutsy Warriors. All we need is Jack Nicholson and Spike Lee showing up to tonight's game in Jason Richardson "The City" jerseys, and this will be a bandwagon jumping for the ages.

Dec 9, 2005
Like I said before, I don't blame the bandwagon fans, and I welcome them. The more the merrier. Everyone loves an underdog success story.

This is a great one. And its still being written.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

KrazeeRDM said:
u got that once u beat the mavs in game 1.
Not really, most analyst were still saying Mavs were gonna take the series after warriros went up 3-2 and were gonna play the next game at home...

People still think Warriors are a fluke...although there are alot of bandwagon fans, Warriors are still not respected as any other Playoff team...guess this Jazz series will prove some of them wrong...

Game 4 is gonna be off the hook...