Good Article on people stealing Bay Slang

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 9, 2002
Taken from Davey D.com

Fact or Fiction?
Who Keeps Stealing From
The Bay Area
by - T-Kash
7/22/02 5:58:34 AM
It's no question that the hip hop community is one of emmulation and recycling,both musically and verbally.And for the most part, the game is good for paying respect and homage to the originators of the concepts and cultures from which it picks and pulls from,for whatever reason each induvidual artist/producer may have.For example,the now defunct group The Lench Mob with the 1993 track "Guerillas ain't Gangstas",quoting Bay Area MOBB music legend Spice 1's trademark ,"and if you ever disrespect me I'ma bank ya!" they also said peace to Spice,which gave the Bay Area proper recognition for our culture and it's contribution to the rest of the hip hop world.

TIMES HAVE DEFINITLEY CHANGED SINCE THEN

Today, the Bay Area sets an abundance of trends and gets little if not any recognition for the contributions we have given to the game.Equally important is the blaitant "jacking" of our slang and production by both underground and mainstream artists.Last and most important,the lack of truthfulness behind the origin of these contributions when explained by the artists that pick and pull at the Bay Area's MOBB music culture. With that being said,I figured that we play a little game of "FACT OR FICTION", just to make my point more clearer.

FACT OR FICTION?:

SNOOP DOGG IS THE ORIGINATOR OF THE TERMS
"FA SHIZZLE" "PLEASE BELEIVE IT" AND "NEPHEW"!

FICTION:The term "FA SHIZZLE" is actually just another way to say "FA SHEEZY",which was invented by Oakland's 3x KRAZY,and quoted by E-40 on his 1996 release,"THE HALL OF GAME".The song was called "RECORD HATERS" where E-"FEEZY" stated," My patna's 3x krazy laced me, taught me how to say FA SHEEZY".

SNOOP DOGG was first noticed saying "FA SHIZZLE MY NIZZLE" on the beginning of his video for "SNOOP DOGG",off "THE LAST MEAL" which was released in late 2000/early 2001. "PLEASE BELEIVE IT" and "NEPHEW" originated on the releases by Vallejo's MAC SHAWN "MUSIC FO THE MOBB" and "MIND OF A PIMP,HEART OF A GANGSTA" by MAC DRE in 1999.The term "NEPHEW" was a penitentary term that bled over into the Bay Area streets and from the streets to the rap game in 1994 with the release "STRAIGHT GAME" by Vallejo's YOUNG D BOYZ,and various projects from former DEF JAM artist,Oakland's RICHIE RICH.

FACT OR FICTION?:

JAY-Z STARTED FOUNDED THE TERM
"PARKING LOT PIMPING",AND HIS LABELMATE CAMRON STARTED THE TERM "OH-BOY"!

FICTION: The term "Parking Lot Pimpin'" was a Bay Area way of saying you couldn't get up in the club for what ever reason and you were going to hang in the parking lot outside the club.This was first put on the map by Hayward Cali's DEN GEE, known then as the 187 FAC.Their 1997 release "FAC NOT FICTION" contained the same titled track as JIG'S, but the hook was not as commercial.As for Cam and "OH-BOY",that was also a Bay Area term that was being said on the streets and bled over into the MOBB music by 1998 being heard on various projects,but the history was documented on the 1999 release by San Francisco's DON CISCO,who's album was titled "OH-BOY".JIG's release hit in 2000 and CAM'S can be heard on almost every top 40 station as you read this now.

FACT OR FICTION?:

ARTIST LIKE USHER, P-DIDDY, NORE, SNOOP DOGG AND NUMEROUS OTHERS
WERE THE FIRST TO SHOW US HOW TO POP COLLARS..

FICTION:All one has to do is go back to the 1994-95 release of San Francisco's Tha Network which featured Messy Marv and San Quinn. There you will hear the hit song 'Pop Yo' Collars' which sampled the song 'Single Life' by Cameo. Since then there have been way too many Bay Area songs hawking the 'Pop Yo Collar' theme to keep count. Everyone from MC Hammer to E-40 have put out 'Popping Collar songs. In fact Hammer released a video a couple of years ago that highlighted all the ways one can 'pop collars'. The song was featured at the end of his recent VHI Special.

and that's REALTALK.

T-K.A.S.H